Cloning Service

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Would anyone know of a person or company here in the USA that understands and is able to back up and clone a Receptor hard drive? I just bought a used Receptor 2 Pro Plus, which seems to be working fine, but you never know when it might fail. I'm also a Mac user and not very computer literate. I wouldn't trust myself to open my Receptor.

Best regards,

not sure if I can recommend someone in the US, but it *may* be worth your while looking at investing in something like one of these:

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Duplicator ... DOCK2U33RE

For probably about the same price that someone will charge you to duplicate (if not less) these devices in simple terms let you put one drive in as a source, then a blank as a destination and push the button and wait. Don't need a PC and it'll be a 1:1 replacement. Then you can spin up as many as you want/need. Unfortunately though you will need to open the Receptor to get to the drive and it's not all that complicated to access.. You will need to triple check that you have source and destination set properly, recommend writing on the drive you pull from the Receptor to clearly mark it, otherwise you'll copy a blank to the Receptor drive - not good :)

Cheers
Don't Tech No for an Answer

I really appreciate the suggestion. I followed your link, and this unit seems like a great option for those of us who aren't real technical. The next step for me is to find instructions, if needed to remove my Receptor's hard drive.

Thank you for responding!

Not a problem :)
Removing the drive isn't that difficult - standard computer connections that only fit one way, and a few phillips screws.
You may have a small challenge in that a lot of the components are hot-glued together so they don't come loose with the rigours of the road etc, so you might have to carefully pry some of this off with a utility knife - besides that if you're not that technical I'd suggest taking photo's of the connectors and where screws came from prior and during the dismantling process just so you have a record of what goes where. That helps when you think you've put it back the way it was but still have a screw or part left over. Flashback to Ikea. :)

Clord, it might help to know where you are located, The United States is pretty big.

Emcee,

If I have to pry hot glue components off does that mean I have to glue them back too? Taking pictures are a great idea. I'm still a little nervous about removing the hard drive so would a company like the Geek Squad be able to clone my hard drive?

Plethoraguy,

I live in Louisville, Kentucky.

your call on gluing stuff back. I should have taken pics when I did mine to explain it easier. The glue isn't there for any other purpose than to make sure that when it's on a truck/plane/train and getting constant vibration that it doesn't come loose. If it's mostly stationary and isn't doing World Tours then the re-glue won't be necessary. The drive connectors are pretty solid without the glue, this is/was Muse's way of just going the extra to ensure they're up to the rigours of the road..

You'd want to ensure that any Tech Support service knows that it isn't a Plain ol' Windows drive, and needs to be block cloned, not File Based. And emphasise the fact that if the drive gets nuked by human error or other factors by them, you aren't just losing some family holiday snaps, and the ability to obtain a new drive on a scale of 1 to 10 (ten being impossible) is about a 7 or 8. So in summary, make sure you don't get the work experience kid, and do get some form of written guarantee that every bit of care will be taken to ensure the master drive is left intact..

Doing a quick google - these guys might be worth getting in touch with - https://www.skyetechnologies.com - their site reads up pretty well and they definitely appear to look like they know what they're doing. Keep me posted if you need more assistance!

Cheers
Mark

Thank you. You have been so gracious to share your recommendations and experience with me. I'm sure that there are others who are gun shy about opening up their Receptors like myself who will also value your feedback.
Many thanks, Mark!

If your receptor has an eSATA connector, you might be able to clone the hardrive without opening the case.
You'd still need the assistance of a computer expert. Which means NOT someone from Geeksquad.

Clord,
I just did this today coincidentally. I am in the computer field, so i have an unfair advantage :) But i'll tell you steps in case there is someone that can help you.

I was able to do it without removing the hard drive. This is important b/c those screws are actually quite a pain and very easy to strip. Plus there are two of them in the back that are almost impossible to reach. What i did was remove the lid and get it as close as possible to my Dell. The extra SATA cable and the power connector from the Dell just managed to reach the receptor drive if i got them super close.

How you do the clone is up to you. There maybe a more user friendly piece of software, but i used Clonezilla which is the best. You can download an ISO Image of Clonezilla ( google search ) and copy it onto a bootable USB thumb drive. Its small so it will fit on just about any thumb drive you have lying around, but be aware that it will erase anything you have on it.

So i booted by Dell with the USB drive ( you'll have to hit F12 or something similar on boot to set the boot load order to make sure you can boot using the USB drive ). I can tell you rest, but basically you just do a "device to device" clone. First you select the Source ( the receptor drive ) and then the Target ( the other empty drive hooked up to the Dell ) and you're good. Took about 45min. Just make damn sure you select the correct "Source"!!

Hi everyone!
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this, if it's not please forgive me, but I'm quite despereate to find a solution for my receptor since it broke and I've just found out that there's no customer service anymore.

I'd like to know if there's someone in London that can fix receptors. Ideally, I would like to change the current hard drive with a SSD clone of a working receptor's drive, the newer the OS the better as I want to run the latest kontakt version possible. If you can or know someone that can do that please let me know

Any other help would be really welcome, as I had invested almost all my budget on this and now that it's useless all my musical projects have been affected.

Hardware version:
RECEPTOR 1 REV C upgraded to RECEPTOR 2+ PRO
Serial C0706100011
Software version before updating: 1.8.20100924

What's the problem: While installing the update, the receptor froze. After a couple of hours, I had to restart it. Obviously, it wasn't very good for it. Now I get this:

/usr/bin/rdm-run-test.sh. line 39: /stc/rdm/rdm.comf : No such file or directory
grep:/c/Reports/Installation Log.txt: No such file or directory
grep:/c/Reports/Installation Log.txt: No such file or directory
ln: creating symbolic link `/home/root/.wine/drive_c/Reports/Systems Updates.txt´: No such file or directory
PID TTY TIME CMD

After that, it just takes me to a console (I'm attaching the image) and nothing happens.

Any help would be really amazing

Thank you guys, I'm sorry if this message was too long! :help:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hello
Some questions.
It is not clear from your message what upgrade you where trying to install.Was it the 2.01 uppdate with rack mode etc purchaced from Muse or was it just the last standard auto update.
Your receptor will not be able to run the latest verSion of kontakt even after an uppdate to the newest receptor os as it is not compatible with some of the run time librarys in the new versions of kontakt.
Also to get version ver 2.01 of the receptor os working (if you have it),you will need a seriel nr from muse to activate the rack mode part of the update.Good news is that mixer mode will work fine as it dosent need a ser nr. Pm me with your tel nr maybee i can help you.
Andy

Hi, thanks for the fast reply :)
The upgrade I was trying to install was receptor-update-1.9.20111221
I was interested in the 2.01 as customer services told me it could work with newer versions of kontakt (not the latest, but at least enough to use some new libraries). Anyway, I felt it was overpriced for my needs as I didn't need any of the new plug-ins that came with it. Most of the time I just use kontakt and some effects.
About the rack mode, I could easily live without it, I was quite happy with the mixer mode.

The only reason I was updating was to be able to use recent kontakt libraries. Even the ones that I had made myself were not working because of kontakt's incompatibility with newer versions.

Thanks!

Return to “Muse Research and Development”