Poll: concerning documentation of my libraries, does anybody actually read the PDFs?

Official support for: patchpool.de

Do you read the documentation and patch descriptions published by patchpool?

Yes
95%
No
5%
I can't read
No votes

Total votes: 22

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was wondering today after spending quite a few entire days on writing the documentation for my new HALion library, wether this (not so amusing) work is actually worth the efforts. So, is anybody actually reading the patch lists/patch descriptions or could I just as well send out a recipe for broccoli pie?

Feel free to comment...and please add your vote to the poll. :party:

Of course I read them but please include the recipe for broccoli pie! ;-)
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

kgdrum wrote:Of course I read them but please include the recipe for broccoli pie! ;-)
I absolutely hate broccoli, so that was only a bad example :help:

I'm a bit surprised as I thought broccoli might be responsible for some of your patch/sound inspirations! :D
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

kgdrum wrote:I'm a bit surprised as I thought broccoli might be responsible for some of your patch/sound inspirations! :D
LOLZ, I think it' more the salad and red peppers, if it was the broccoli my sounds would sound rather mushy and slippery, and they would smell...

I think there is a balance to be had here Simon. Your documentation is a bit over the top (in a good way). I think a simpler patch list by category + controls assigned would be enough. The page after page of detailed patch description is probably overkill, although much appreciated :)
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

What I like best is when the patch notes are with the patch like in Alchemy, I find that very useful.

I like that about the MachFive info page, you can put a lot of info in there, although when a patch is scripted you don't see it and have to switch pages to access the info.

SJ_Digriz wrote:I think there is a balance to be had here Simon. Your documentation is a bit over the top (in a good way). I think a simpler patch list by category + controls assigned would be enough. The page after page of detailed patch description is probably overkill, although much appreciated :)
Finding the balance is exactly the point, does the user need to "understand" a patch or does it suffice if he knows how to operate it. I'm sort of stuck in that routine of mentioning too much maybe, like it was an obligation which in fact doesn't exist...although I have alread cut down a bit, mentioning what a controller does if it's labelled "Reverb Mix" seems silly, even to me :)

Sampleconstruct wrote:
kgdrum wrote:I'm a bit surprised as I thought broccoli might be responsible for some of your patch/sound inspirations! :D
LOLZ, I think it' more the salad and red peppers, if it was the broccoli my sounds would sound rather mushy and slippery, and they would smell...

Simon do you think Splat-Pool is a marketable name for musicians who want their samples loaded with an occasional random surprise?

:tu:

kgdrum wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:

Simon do you think Splat-Pool is a marketable name for musicians who want their samples loaded with an occasional random surprise?

:tu:
Sounds good to me, and looks good too. SplatPool™

To get the product installed into HALion, I read the doc and found the link to your prior YouTube video - both helpful. Without this, I would have neglected selecting the "User" icon and the "Refresh" button. So both the doc and video avoided a support question.

emasters wrote:To get the product installed into HALion, I read the doc and found the link to your prior YouTube video - both helpful. Without this, I would have neglected selecting the "User" icon and the "Refresh" button. So both the doc and video avoided a support question.
Yeah, but reading the installation procedure is obligatory :), my question was more about the patch descriptions.

Less so, on the patch descriptions. Perhaps more as an overview.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
emasters wrote:To get the product installed into HALion, I read the doc and found the link to your prior YouTube video - both helpful. Without this, I would have neglected selecting the "User" icon and the "Refresh" button. So both the doc and video avoided a support question.
Yeah, but reading the installation procedure is obligatory :), my question was more about the patch descriptions.
That was where I was going. The main point of the patches is what controls you mapped. I can hear what it sounds like :phones:

Again, those descriptions you put together are awesome. But truthfully, once I've been through the patch list once, I really only care about the mapping.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Well, this is all very useful feedback, the poll is at 7:1 so I gather that descriptions are useful to most and it' s up to me to find a less elaborate method to get the info across. Those video demonstrations for the new HALion lib seem to get some positive attention, so that also is an alternative to those bibles full of technical language.

Return to “patchpool”