Can i sell my TauPro license?

Official support for: muon-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,

Title says it all! i want to sell my TauPro license. Am i allowed, and if so is there a procedure to follow?

Cheers,

Quince

The license specifically prohibits it, I'm afraid. See point #2 of the license section in the Release Notes pdf file.

The reason for this clause in our license is because Tau Pro is supplied in download form only and has no copy protection. With this in mind we've no way of telling if a user will actually uninstall it when they sell it on.

Now I'm sure you're an honest enough person (somebody who didn't care wouldn't ask after all!) but the license has to stand otherwise its worthless.

Regards
Dave

actually im shocked Dave :?

it's about time someone made a list of company's that do not allow transfers .

if someone buys your products I VERY much doubt they are gonna carry on using it.

they would just get a crack if there that way inclined. sorry to say your in the small minority.
Muon Software Ltd wrote:The license specifically prohibits it, I'm afraid. See point #2 of the license section in the Release Notes pdf file.

The reason for this clause in our license is because Tau Pro is supplied in download form only and has no copy protection. With this in mind we've no way of telling if a user will actually uninstall it when they sell it on.

Now I'm sure you're an honest enough person (somebody who didn't care wouldn't ask after all!) but the license has to stand otherwise its worthless.

Regards
Dave

Muon Software Ltd wrote:The license specifically prohibits it, I'm afraid. See point #2 of the license section in the Release Notes pdf file.

Regards
Dave
Hey Dave,

I'm disappointed but i fully understand. I am a programmer myself, and about 95% of people i know use some kind of cracked or pirated software, so i understand your concern.

To be honest, i wouldn't get much for it so its no huge financial loss to me if i can't sell it.

No hard feelings from me at all, just a sad indication of the state of the software business, most people can't be trusted.

Keep making cool software :)

Cheers

what a nice attitude

Quincy you are a super-top dude 8)

I'm disappointed but i fully understand
Cool, thanks. I hate to disappoint people, but think of it this way. If we let you transfer your license, we'd have to do it for other people who aren't so honest. We'd never be able to tell, so it has to be one rule for everyone. The other thing to think of is that if you sell Tau Pro, you won't get MkII when it comes out :D

The only way I could see us allowing license transfers would be if we incorporated copy protection and raised the prices. The profit on a plugin like Tau Pro, after all the costs have been taken into account, just doesn't go very far.

Regards
Dave

oh really? talk to rene'.

:P

I do kind of see the point
with low priced software it's hardly
worth the hastle.

if your spending over $100 it can get anoying.

VitaminD wrote:oh really? talk to rene'.

:P

Talk to the hand spanky chops :wink:

Muon Software Ltd wrote:
I'm disappointed but i fully understand
Cool, thanks. I hate to disappoint people, but think of it this way. If we let you transfer your license, we'd have to do it for other people who aren't so honest. We'd never be able to tell, so it has to be one rule for everyone. The other thing to think of is that if you sell Tau Pro, you won't get MkII when it comes out :D

The only way I could see us allowing license transfers would be if we incorporated copy protection and raised the prices. The profit on a plugin like Tau Pro, after all the costs have been taken into account, just doesn't go very far.

Regards
Dave
Unfortunately i won't get MkII anyway. The trouble here is that i purchased the TauPro off another user, who i happen to know believed it was perfectly above board.

I won't be telling you who that is because i don't want them to get into trouble over a genuine mistake. This is why i assumed it was ok to sell, but obviously it isn't.

Never mind, no major harm done to anyone, as both myself and the original owner are both VERY anti-piracy so no-one will lose out here. I have already turned down one offer to purchase the TauPro directly from me with no involvement with Muon. I told them politely that i do not wish to break the licensing rules.

Shame about all this, now i know i'll miss out on next version anyway! Had i known there would be a next version i wouldn't want to sell anyway, and perhaps nor would the original owner! :? :)

now i know i'll miss out on next version anyway!
Send me a mail, and I'll add you to our database. We've got a minor update for Tau Pro coming soon that adds assignable MIDI controllers and tidies things up in modern hosts like Cubase SX2. It's an end-of-life update for Tau Pro MkI so you'll need this one if you want to keep on using it.

I also think that honesty should be rewarded - so I'll make sure you get Tau Pro MkII when its ready.

Regards
Dave

Very much software-programmers and -designers do not allow their users to sell the original license. That is legally invalid. Every licence-owner is legally allowed to sell the original licence to everyone he wants to. If this is would really been forbidden every reseller or music-store would have to give up his business. The only thing is you have to destroy every copy of your software and even you have to delete every file from your harddisk.

kind of vague post

more do allow resale than dont.
thorau wrote:Very much software-programmers and -designers do not allow their users to sell the original license. That is legally invalid. Every licence-owner is legally allowed to sell the original licence to everyone he wants to. If this is would really been forbidden every reseller or music-store would have to give up his business. The only thing is you have to destroy every copy of your software and even you have to delete every file from your harddisk.

I wrote "very much" and not "most", okay!?

very few would of made more sense.
thorau wrote:I wrote "very much" and not "most", okay!?

Return to “Muon Software”