Problem assigning expression pedal as mod wheel

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi forum,
I'm pretty new to cantabile.
One thing I don't get to work is how to assign my expression pedal (midi cc11) as mod wheel (midi c1)
Under the tab midi assignments I find the controller but no option like modwheel or midi c1 to assign to.
I'm using an m-audi axiom 61 midikeyboard with cantabile where the expression pedal is connected to.

I also tried to assign the expression pedal directly to c1 at the axiom. But although I set the min & max value to 0 and 127 the value stays at 127 while pressing the pedal up and down
I'm kind of stuck now :(

thanks in advance for any hint or advise :-)
maethes

Hi,

what you need is a MIDI-filter. MIDI-filters are available at 3 different places:
1) In each plugin window under: Settings -> Tools -> MIDI-filters
2) In each rack folder under: Split/Trans. -> MIDI-filters
3) In a MIDI-routing under Settings -> MIDI-filters

For a simle setup lets say you have a plugin and a MIDI-keyboard and want Cc11 instructions to turn into Cc1 instructions. Then call up MIDI-filters as described under 2). In the dialog window add "Controller Map" chose CC#11 as Source and CC#1 as Target. Now expression data from all selected MIDI-ins should be transformed to Modwheel data for this plugin.

For implementation for more than one plugin or more complecated settings strategy 1) or 3) could be useful.

regards, humphrey
Last edited by humphrey on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hosts: c8.5, cantabile3.0, forte4.0, live 9, trakor
hardware: i7 4770k, i7 4702qm, all audio converters RME, KH120A
vsts / vstis: u-he, voxengo, fabfilter, izotope, lexicon, waves, spectrasonics, ni, steinberg, gsi, uvi, xfer & others

Wow,

Thanks Humphrey for your quick help here.
That makes sense now to me :-)

Thanks a lot
cheers
maethes

It works very well, and I think I'm almost there....

so I was able to reassign C11 to C1 so that my expression pedal works now as a modwheel.
But...it has no modulation. It's like yes or no. It only plays the value 0 or 127 but not the values in between.

Can I adjust this or tell cantabile to do this modulation between 0 and 127 ?

thanks in advance :-)
maethes

I found out that this problems only occurs while using m-audio axiom 61 controller.
When using the pedal with this settings on my yamaha cp4 it works fine.
So its seems to be a controllerproblem

thanks
maethes

Could it be an inconvenience of the pedal used with the axiom? There are 2 standards (Yamaha and Roland-type) for volume pedals, means Yamaha-type don't work on keyboards that accept Roland-type pedals and vice versa.

If this is the reason you need an adaptercable to fix this.

Regards, humphrey
vsts / vstis: u-he, voxengo, fabfilter, izotope, lexicon, waves, spectrasonics, ni, steinberg, gsi, uvi, xfer & others

Humphrey you are awesome ;-)

It think this is exactly my problem.
I also found this here as solution in the net

http://music.ashbysolutions.com/misc.htm

I thank you so much for your help as I never would have assumed this.

cheers
maethes

You're welcome! And yep the link describes exactly what I mean.

Such a cable can also be done as DIY project for a few bucks as you only have to connect tip of the one end to ring of the other (and vice vera) if you're familiar with soldering and the like.

Otherwise the price is o.k.

Good luck, humphrey

Return to “Topten Software”