Torrents, pirates, f**kers!

Official support for: patchpool.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I did this already a few weeks ago, when something else was torrented immediately after a purchase. I asked the guy very politely and he responded very politely, so I believed that it wasn't him.

satYatunes wrote:I wonder, how they get the content? Do they hack the server on which it's hosted or some buyer creates the torrent?
I wonder this too and also wonder how a developer gets knowledge of the torrent popping up?
I never seem to know about these things until I hear them on a forum like this. At least you have good sources to keep you informed of this Simon. (I know, kind of a strange thing to say, but if there is a silver lining, it's the only one I can think of here.)

As far as adding 'content' to ZIP/RAR files...
it may teach some... but it still feels like lowering to their level.

kgdrum wrote:if the "customer" is buying and posting Simons work on torrent sites imo not pursuing the lowlife is unprofessional,I say do anything you can do legally to hassle the assh*les!
If there is hard proof I agree 100%. But if it is just an assumption based on the timing of the torrent release it would cause the loss of a paying customer if the assumption is wrong.

It's his business so he can run it however he wants... I'm just offering free advice, which is probably worth what it cost :)

BBFG# wrote:
satYatunes wrote:I wonder, how they get the content? Do they hack the server on which it's hosted or some buyer creates the torrent?
I wonder this too and also wonder how a developer gets knowledge of the torrent popping up?
I never seem to know about these things until I hear them on a forum like this. At least you have good sources to keep you informed of this Simon. (I know, kind of a strange thing to say, but if there is a silver lining, it's the only one I can think of here.)

As far as adding 'content' to ZIP/RAR files...
it may teach some... but it still feels like lowering to their level.
Well, you just google "patchpool", select "within the last 24 hours" as a search filter and BAM, you get about 30 torrent links to choose from, so I don't have any secret agents working for me :)

lachrimae wrote:
kgdrum wrote:if the "customer" is buying and posting Simons work on torrent sites imo not pursuing the lowlife is unprofessional,I say do anything you can do legally to hassle the assh*les!
If there is hard proof I agree 100%. But if it is just an assumption based on the timing of the torrent release it would cause the loss of a paying customer if the assumption is wrong.

It's his business so he can run it however he wants... I'm just offering free advice, which is probably worth what it cost :)
I believe in (very naive) honesty, so asking someone politely if he torrented my stuff seems far more effective to me than writing useless mails to torrent admins who will ignore me anyway, unless I hire a lawyer who will probably cost me more than a months worth of patchpool revenues. It won't change a thing anyway...

EDIT: and actually the guy who I asked a few weeks ago returned a few days later and purchased something else, so I didn't turn him off in any way by honestly asking him.

Sampleconstruct wrote:EDIT: and actually the guy who I asked a few weeks ago returned a few days later and purchased something else, so I didn't turn him off in any way by honestly asking him.
Good to hear. Then it was my assumption that is incorrect... :tu: (I wouldn't like it, but I'm weird like that...)

lachrimae wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:EDIT: and actually the guy who I asked a few weeks ago returned a few days later and purchased something else, so I didn't turn him off in any way by honestly asking him.
Good to hear. Then it was my assumption that is incorrect... :tu: (I wouldn't like it, but I'm weird like that...)
Well, tbh I was prepared for some hassle when asking him, so I tried to be as polite as possible and was pleasantly surprised by his reaction. A pirate would never have responded anyway, which seems to be the case with the set torrented today.

kgdrum wrote:
lachrimae wrote: Emailing a paying customer is a bit unprofessional IMO, though I certainly understand your frustration.

if the "customer" is buying and posting Simons work on torrent sites imo not pursuing the lowlife is unprofessional,I say do anything you can do legally to hassle the assh*les!
Simon puts in lots of work, time and talent to give us these patches,I have no sympathy for thieves.
Its a nice thought, but once its out there and been shared, you've lost. Its really a lost cause chasing ghosts. Sad but true

Kriminal wrote: Its a nice thought, but once its out there and been shared, you've lost. Its really a lost cause chasing ghosts. Sad but true
Especially because within an hour or so, a set can spread across the net from one torrent to the other until it ends up on dozens of sites on one day, I even found some torrents with my stuff in arabic language - LOL - why not, it's for everyone :party:

Kriminal wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:Maybe do what Vengeance did...
Steal other ppl's work and pass it off as their own? :lol:
Well no not that ;)

I meant team up with a developer and build a ilok protected sampler or synth instrument.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
Well no not that ;)

I meant team up with a developer and build a ilok protected sampler or synth instrument.
iLok would lose as many customers as those doing the pirating.
You wouldn't gain anything really and have to pay PACE on top of that.
I have a joking posit of conspiracy that PACE are actually the pirates
they say they will protect you against.
They used to call that, 'the protection racket' in old mafia movies.
:hihi:

BBFG# wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
Well no not that ;)

iLok would lose as many customers as those doing the pirating.
You wouldn't gain anything really and have to pay PACE on top of that.
I have a joking posit of conspiracy that PACE are actually the pirates
they say they will protect you against.
They used to call that, 'the protection racket' in old mafia movies.
:hihi:
ohh.. so you think they have a cracking team that cracks all the Non-pace protected stuff to gain customers? That would be crazy if that was true, but I doubt it.
:borg:

Its logic is undeniable though.
Who else gains as much financially from it? (rhetorical)

it's such a vicious catch 22. I like patchpool content and own 4 or 5 libraries. However, I would not buy a iLok based sample library or sampler. I hate being that way because I want to support the good content developers. But, I got bit by PACE back in the day, and I don't like "cloud" licensing. It's begging to be f***ked.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Sampleconstruct wrote: I like the iLok system, but it rules out about 50+ % of the potential customer base.
What he said, it would be suicidal to go all iLok, much more than selling libraries which are in no way copy-protected like I do now.

Return to “patchpool”