Question about Sonigen's wavetables

Official support for: sonigen.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Chris,

Could you tell us more about wavetables?
I was trying to load a single cycle waveform, noticed it must be 1024 samples minimum.
So I tried that but it sounded nothing like the original waveform (kind of hi passed)
Any idea how I should get it to work?

Cheers,
David

It's possible the synth uses band-limiting to avoid aliasing.
You could do it, but there would be artifacts at high pitch maybe.

nix808 wrote:It's possible the synth uses band-limiting to avoid aliasing.
You could do it, but there would be artifacts at high pitch maybe.
Well, I was more looking for a nice sub bass so I don't care about artifacts at high pitch
But still I can't get the wavetable sound like the original wave file...

You could try 2048, or 4096 samples, it may have finer definition at low frequency.

nix808 wrote:You could try 2048, or 4096 samples, it may have finer definition at low frequency.
Thats a great idea :oops:
Thanks

Hope it works!

It doesnt load wavetables in the way existing synths do. Its explained in the "WaveMaker" section in the documentation.

It works by extracting an harmonic series from a sample. You load the sample, select the position at which to perform the frequency analysis (in the waveform panel), then you adjust the base frequency of the series (in the frequncy analisis panel, the lower one).

Basically the FFT analysis will have an amplitude every so many herz, so 10, 20, 30 hz... and so on, all the way up to the top. Then with the right button you adjust where the series starts from, say 111 Herz, so it will extract measurements at multiples of that, 111 = first harmonic, 222 = second harmonic, 33 = third harmonic, and so on.

So if you load in a sample of a piano note of A4, then you can adjust the series to start at 440hz, and it should line up exactly on the harmonics of that piano note. In actual fact you just move the series up and down until it lines up ontop of the main peaks displayed in the frequency analysis.

So if you have a single cycle waveform, just loop it enough times to be over the 1024 sample minimum length, then load it. Once loaded you will see FFT analysis in the bottom panel, and you can zoom in and out with the left button, and the right button will set the root frequency of the extracted harmonic series.

If you are sampling an existing wavetable you can record a slow sweep though the wavetable and load the whoel thing. Then you can extract harmonic series at any point along the sweep.

Hope that makes sense. It's not really as complicated as it sounds.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

sonigen wrote:It doesnt load wavetables in the way existing synths do. Its explained in the "WaveMaker" section in the documentation.

It works by extracting an harmonic series from a sample. You load the sample, select the position at which to perform the frequency analysis (in the waveform panel), then you adjust the base frequency of the series (in the frequncy analisis panel, the lower one).

Basically the FFT analysis will have an amplitude every so many herz, so 10, 20, 30 hz... and so on, all the way up to the top. Then with the right button you adjust where the series starts from, say 111 Herz, so it will extract measurements at multiples of that, 111 = first harmonic, 222 = second harmonic, 33 = third harmonic, and so on.

So if you load in a sample of a piano note of A4, then you can adjust the series to start at 440hz, and it should line up exactly on the harmonics of that piano note. In actual fact you just move the series up and down until it lines up ontop of the main peaks displayed in the frequency analysis.

So if you have a single cycle waveform, just loop it enough times to be over the 1024 sample minimum length, then load it. Once loaded you will see FFT analysis in the bottom panel, and you can zoom in and out with the left button, and the right button will set the root frequency of the extracted harmonic series.

If you are sampling an existing wavetable you can record a slow sweep though the wavetable and load the whoel thing. Then you can extract harmonic series at any point along the sweep.

Hope that makes sense. It's not really as complicated as it sounds.
I often feel like a dumb ass in here, this time again :x
I'm gonna try the last part though and I'll let you know

Cheers,
David

I really LOVE the wavetable module, I had a great time making some custom wavetables and an even better time exploring all the possibilities with them interacting with eachother. You can get some ultra-crisp stuff out of this module.

You can hear I used them quite extensively in my demos here on soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/top10/

I would love to see more wavetable-implementing modules in the future, for example something in the likes of the MOTM E350 Morphing Terrarium (modular hardware module), where single cycle wavetables are placed in an 8x8 grid and then you can slowly and smoothly morph (or brutally switch) between them in XY and you get XYZ outputs. Also it goes from low LFO to high audio levels.. It's just stunning, you all should check it out! Just google it and watch youtube demos...

I hope Chris has time to dwell into researching and implementing something esoteric like this after all kinds of basic modules are done!

Jesse J wrote:I really LOVE the wavetable module, I had a great time making some custom wavetables and an even better time exploring all the possibilities with them interacting with eachother. You can get some ultra-crisp stuff out of this module.

You can hear I used them quite extensively in my demos here on soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/top10/

I would love to see more wavetable-implementing modules in the future, for example something in the likes of the MOTM E350 Morphing Terrarium (modular hardware module), where single cycle wavetables are placed in an 8x8 grid and then you can slowly and smoothly morph (or brutally switch) between them in XY and you get XYZ outputs. Also it goes from low LFO to high audio levels.. It's just stunning, you all should check it out! Just google it and watch youtube demos...

I hope Chris has time to dwell into researching and implementing something esoteric like this after all kinds of basic modules are done!
Your sound demos are great Jesse
I finally found some time to dig the wavetable module and I agree it's great
I'll send some wavetables to Chris soon (mostly simple waveforms)

Cheers
David

Return to “Sonigen”