Hey! Where's the free delphi?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I figured I should give Delphi a look, but I cant seem to find a place to download the often refered to free personal version.

Its supposed to be here according to google, but all I find there is a 30 day trial of something called architect and a bunch of key files.

Is it free no more?

My internet connection is acting funny so I'm not sure if this still works, but there is where the delphi 6 Personal Edition was downloadable not too long ago.

ftp://ftpd.borland.com/download/delphi/ ... dition.exe

it might still work... 8)
ModuLR / Radio

yeah you'll also need to register for a key file too.. yes its free.. but you still have to do it to get delphi running.

FTP didnt work :/

Ive already registred because I thought that would lead me to the download.

It looks like they dont have it availble any more, but the key files are still there. Perhaps someone has the install file and a bit of bandwidth to spare?

check your PMs
Someone shot the food. Remember: don't shoot food!

a little search on google gave me:

http://static.hugi.is/forritun/

:?

Borland it seems, are shifting the focus of their business away from generic development languages and more towards technology enabling tools. .NET is clearly the focus of much of their coming product line. Kylix appears to be dead also, the C++ aspect of Kylix now being filled by BuilderX.

:(

Its really quite remarkable. Its like borland has been trying to kill off delphi since 4.0. I never really used delphi but Ive kind of followed its development from afar.
People have been saying that "delphi is dead" for a long time too, but its still around.

I guess it survives because of a dedicated user base.

I think Delphi will live for a while longer yet, but I think increasingly Borland see it as a tool to easily leverage .NET technologies. Borland claim that W32 support will remain in the next Delphi release, but I haven't seen so much to suggest that this will be any significant updates to what is offered by D7.

I actually use the Delphi Kylix environment at work, 'cos at the time it was the only sensible choice for true cross platform Win/Linux RAD. I'm a little concerned about the Borland's direction as I need to start porting code, and I need to know where to port it to. How long will Builder X hang around for example?

Going off topic here :D

Right now, I feel that the only really trust worthy (long term) platforms are those that either are backed by big developing companies or are widely adopted open source tools.
And borland isnt quite big enough really. IBM, MS and Oracle is more like it.

If you are doing nix/win32 GUI apps, wxWindows might be your best bet.

building an vst plugin in oracle sounds like fun. :P

I stick with delphi. learned pascal on school and thanks to frederic and toby I'm capable of coding vsti's my self without the rocket science frustrations.

Pukeweed wrote:Going off topic here :D
:oops: Yup. ;)
Right now, I feel that the only really trust worthy (long term) platforms are those that either are backed by big developing companies or are widely adopted open source tools.
And borland isnt quite big enough really. IBM, MS and Oracle is more like it.
I'd have to agree, but MS is definitely obviously interested in pushing .NET and C# in place of more generic technologies and languages, so from a cross platform, and maybe even legacy support angle, even Visual C++ doesn't look like such a sure fire bet.
If you are doing nix/win32 GUI apps, wxWindows might be your best bet.

I haven't really looked at that. I'll check it out. Thanks.

valley wrote:
Pukeweed wrote: If you are doing nix/win32 GUI apps, wxWindows might be your best bet.

I haven't really looked at that. I'll check it out. Thanks.
I have to back up Pukeweed on the wxWindows front - it does seem to be one of the more coherent and available frameworks. The others I'd be interested in (had I the time) would be QT and the VSTGUI tools (they have Mac and PC implementations but the code is designed to port and it's recently gone GPL, I think).

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”