ChineeHuluSi Released!

Official support for: chineekong.com & kongaudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kong Audio gladly presents the world with the 12th title of the Chinee Series, ChineeHuluSi.

HuluSi is a very unique ethnic instrument used by some minority peoples in certain parts of Mainland China.

ChineeHuluSi: The Riveting Bottle Gourds from the South of Clouds
------------------------------------------------------------------

HuluSi is a free-reed wind instrument of China. "Hulu" is the Chinese name for bottle gourd; "Si", silk, used here to describe the unrelenting characteristic of HuluSi's vibrating tail tone.

The history of Hulusi is not well documented other than that it may have been used by the ethnic minorities in the nowadays Yunnan (literally means "South of Clouds") province for a very, very long time, maybe as long as a thousand years. To-day, HuluSi is the most representative instrument of Yunnan, and in recent years it has been improved, spread and promoted both at the national and international levels, and received good recognitions.

HuluSi is especially known for its unrelenting, yet soft, tone.

About ChineeHuluSi
-------------------

ChineeHuluSi contains the sampling of two HuluSi's: a big HuluSi and a small one: a Big HuluSi in G (note range: B3-E5), a Small HuluSi in C (note range: G4-A5), with various types of playing techniques woven within.

ChineeHuluSi also features Kong Audio's new Intelligent Legato and improved keyswitching mechanism.

System requirements and specs:

*325 MB meticulously produced sample sets.
*Windows XP/VISTA. 512mb RAM. NO 64-bit HOST support (Still can be used in *32-bit hosts under 64-bit Windows OS).
*Works in VSTi compatible hosts.
*All samples are recorded in 1-bit/2.8 MHz
*ChineeHuluSi is priced at 60 USD.

All existing customers should have already received the email notification which contains a time-limited (till October 5th) special deep discount. Contact us if you haven't received your discount offer yet. Go grab you copy of the gourd flute!

For more info:
http://www.chineekong.com/chineehulusi.htm
Audio Demo:
http://www.chineekong.com/Demo/QueQiao_LiPeng.mp3 (All the Chinese instruments in this demo score are from the Chinee Series line, i.e., ChineeWinds, ChineeKongV2+, ChineeErhu, ChineeGuzheng, ChineePipa)
Last edited by sosayweall on Mon May 16, 2011 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

I can't believe it! Finally the Hulusi! Thanks so much for bringing the Hulusi! I've been contemplating on getting the package. Now with the Hulusi, it's going to be a reason to purchase the package as well! You got no idea how important the this is! I only hope that we can do good portamento/slide with the Hulusi sample. I guess I'll find that out soon...

Just heard the demo. The note slides are pretty realisitc. However, I wonder if some samples are pitch-stretched instead of sampling individual notes. The higher notes' vibratos are at a faster frequency than the lower notes.

Well, I guess I need to try them for myself to be certain. But I like the tone. Good enough to pass off if I'm careful with the vibratos.

Georgous instrument and GUI! Excellent work as always! :tu:

The Hulusi is used by the Dai minority in Yunnan for ages, and very much so today. I hear it almost everyday when I walk in the streets of Xishuangbanna. It's not difficult to play. But to play it WELL is a different matter! Great to know the sample lets me do that ... :)

I'm still trying to find out other minority instruments that are literally dying in Yunnan. Some are really peculiar. It hurts me to know that this generation is not taking on the tradition of their forefathers. I hate to see great historical instruments disappearing. Many of them gives some really interesting tones. I'm trying to encourage the younger minorities to pick up from the older generation. But alas, it's really dying out. The Hani minority for example, has some really interesting instrument that I've got no idea what they are called. Same for the Bulang minority. There are so many in Yunnan!

I'm glad that Kong Audio has captured the Hulusi, although it is far from dying out like other instruments. Perhaps in the future, all the other dying minority instruments can be captured and so these beautiful instruments won't disappear off the face of China. This is more than just sampling - it's preserving the culture and tradition of music! Well done Kong Audio. I'm proud of what you are doing.

@Aloysius: Glad to know you like it. :)

@cheez:
cheez wrote:Just heard the demo. The note slides are pretty realisitc. However, I wonder if some samples are pitch-stretched instead of sampling individual notes. The higher notes' vibratos are at a faster frequency than the lower notes.
Glad to know you like the demo song. You are observant! Those "pitched" notes are the "extended" notes outside of the true note range of the HuluSi we recorded. We allow it to be slightly extended for the flexibility purpose. But if you want to keep it real, you will have to stick to the official note range as we officially specified...:wink:

There are way too many ethnic instruments in China waiting to be rediscovered in some way, but it's not easy to strike a balance between business and ideal though.

So you live in Xishuangbanna now? that's a beautiful city.

BTW, currently before the promo discount offer expires, if you have never bought anything from us before, you can still get Hulusi with special deep discount if you buy any other of our other plugins first. Then we'll send you a discount offer to ChineeHulusi which you can use to order it with 50% off! :)

Done. Ordered Essential China. Will wait for your email for the discount for Hulusi.

Thank you! the discount offer is on the way. :)

Return to “Kong Audio”