sound set; classic synth sounds for soul/jazz

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

which of the soundsets from howard and michael would you guys recommend getting first for some inspiration for classic "analog style" basses, leads and "analogue brass" hits (think erykah badu, the roots, jazzanova...)?

i know there are no "specific sounds" for a style of music, i just need a range of very playable, "keyboard centric" round, unobtrusive sounds that fit this settings. e.g. there is no round and big, sustained bass in the factory patches, which i would use instead of a bass player. i made my own, but i am sure, people can do better than me...

so it is really for getting a starting point to learn to program this stuff. i am sure they are all worth getting -

cheers, f
Last edited by fas1piano on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I would recommend both but Michael's has more classic sounds in it. Howards caters for more modern and experimental sounds as well as some classic ones. As I said just get both if you can.

thanks - i 'll start with old school, then, and take it from there. i'll probably get more sounds later. need to get some songs down, so excessive preset surfing should be avoided ATM :hihi:

I use a (very slightly edited) version of Howard's "Bass One" patch for the kinds of parts I would previously have used samples of Moog Taurus pedals for in the past, though that may not be the kind of "round and big" you're looking for. I've used various patches that were edited takeoffs from Howard's "Minnie the Monsta" (from Zebra Science) for busier, more funky bass lines as well. IMO, bass is one (of many) areas where Zebra really shines - I think it does bass better than any other softsynth I've used thus far. The new compressor modes are great for punching up a bass line too.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

is "bass one" a factory patch in the new zebra version ? i'll check it out :oops:

round and big - i meant actually two (related) sounds:

- one sustained, with only very little filter and amp envelope and xy on filter cutoff and resonance (you know jae deal?), makes for a flowing sound, almost like a fretless, when you make the filter growl with a stick or touchpad;

- one with a more noticeable attack and a natural decay, more like a normal electic bass; no strong, resonant filter envelope (no "cameleon" in the house, that's for later)

in both cases, i want it to be smooth, not to sawtooth-y, yet enough attack to cut through in a band somewhat. i have been trying with to oscs, one saw, one thin pulse and the xmf. it's ok, but it could be better.

cheers for the hints so far. won't get around getting all available sounds it seems..

fas1piano wrote:is "bass one" a factory patch in the new zebra version ? i'll check it out :oops:
Yes and no. It was also in earlier versions.

Return to “u-he”