Which is more capable - Polyfusion system or Zebra 2 ?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just curious - if a person were to want to compare synth programming power between the old Polyfusion system ( like TOTO used to use with Steve Porcaro ), the old Moog 55, the Roland modular, etc., etc., and the Zebra 2 - which would win ?

I know it may be a silly inquiry, but those synths had / have, a lot of sonic power, and I thought it would be interesting to do a comparison on programming capabilities.

Could today's Zebra 2 "out-synth" the Polyfusion / modular stuff of yesterday, or is all of that monolithic hardware still "the king" ?

Plusses and minus of each ? Where does the hardware out-do Zebra ( if at all ) ?

Thanks for your input !

~JT.

They're different.

Just love Zebra for what it is.

Love it dammit!!!!

But seriously, most modulars only do mono, and Zebra has comb filters like you won't find hardware, osc FX, MSEGS, FM oscs, wave creation and morphing, etc...

The old modulars probably have amazing sounding oscs and filters, but if you put Z's oscs through an XMF, I don't think you will be disappointed.

:shrug:

JPTinAshland wrote:TOTO
~JT.
Shit, now I've got that awful "Rosanna" song stuck in my head. Thanks a lot, man.

Meet you all the way... :cry:

Ogg Vorbis wrote:
JPTinAshland wrote:TOTO
~JT.
Shit, now I've got that awful "Rosanna" song stuck in my head. Thanks a lot, man.

Meet you all the way... :cry:
just bless the rains , down in africa ...

kodama wrote: But seriously, most modulars only do mono, and Zebra has comb filters like you won't find hardware, osc FX, MSEGS, FM oscs, wave creation and morphing, etc...
The Polyfusions were available as polyphonic instruments, though- I almost bought a four voice Polyfusion system 15 years ago. And, FM was one of its strong points; most of the Toto sounds you think of were FM patches using the Polyfusion.

ew
A spectral heretic...

ew wrote: most of the Toto sounds you think of were FM patches using the Polyfusion.

ew
Ohhh, I don't think of them :wink:

Also, was the FM actually Phase Mod?

The mighty Zebra Modular System II (1971) had the following collection of modules:

8 oscillators
8 multimode filters (2 of them built to order by R.A. Moog)
5 "resonant wierdness" filters (labelled CMB and SBF)
4 multimode waveshapers
3 ring modulators
2 noise generators (with integrated LP/HP filter)
8 envelope generators (4 of them have integrated stereo amps)
6 LFOs
1 stereo reverb
2 stereo tape delay units (!)
2 phaser/chorus modules
2 compressors
2 4-band parametric EQ modules
1 16-step, 3-row sequencer
...plus several voltage controllable amps/mixers.

Not bad, eh? What do you guys think of the new emulation?

BTW: Check this new hardware spec out...
http://forums.johnbowen.com/viewtopic.php?p=1646#1646

Return to “u-he”