Zebra 2.3 permissions are messed up under OS X 10.4.11

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs,

Something is very wrong with file permissions of the 2.3 release under OS X 10.4.11. Almost all files and directories have the file mask 0776 with owner 'root' and group 'admin. It includes the plugin directory and the presets folder(s). As a result almost all files and directories are unreadable under regular user account. Normally I work under regular account and have a separate admin account for installations. Please check if permissions mess up in such a configuration. I believe the reasonable file masks for directories are 0755 and for files 0644. Also I believe it is customary not to have 'root' as the owner of non-system files. The same goes for your other plugins (MFM, ZRev, Zebralette, Filterscape, etc.). Below are snippets from the 'ls -d' listings:

The Zebra2.component:

Code: Select all

../../Plug-Ins/Components/Zebra2.component/Contents/MacOS:
total 10288
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin  5265356 Dec  3 13:06 Zebra2

../../Plug-Ins/Components/Zebra2.component/Contents/Resources:
total 8
drwxrwxrw-   3 root  admin   102 Dec  3 13:07 English.lproj
drwxrwxrw-   7 root  admin   238 Dec  3 13:07 Images
drwxrwxrw-   7 root  admin   238 Dec  3 13:07 Scripts
-rwxrwxrw-   1 root  admin  1146 Nov  5 08:11 Zebra2.rsrc

../../Plug-Ins/Components/Zebra2.component/Contents/Resources/English.lproj:
total 8
-rwxrwxrw-   1 root  admin  356 Oct 28 12:21 InfoPlist.strings

../../Plug-Ins/Components/Zebra2.component/Contents/Resources/Images:
total 0
drwxrwxrw-    9 root  admin  306 Dec  3 13:07 Animations
drwxrwxrw-   19 root  admin  646 Dec  3 13:07 Controls
drwxrwxrw-    2 root  admin   68 Aug 29  2004 Icons
drwxrwxrw-    2 root  admin   68 Aug 29  2004 Other
drwxrwxrw-   22 root  admin  748 Dec  3 13:07 Panes
The presets directory:

-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  19456 Nov  2  2007 --use PERFORM page on all '+' sounds-.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18219 Oct 30  2007 -try WHEELS on ALL sounds-.h2p
drwxrwxrw-   30 root  admin   1020 Dec  5 19:46 1 Bassics
drwxrwxrw-   48 root  admin   1632 Dec  5 19:46 2 Leaders
drwxrwxrw-   36 root  admin   1224 Dec  5 19:46 3 Fillers
drwxrwxrw-   36 root  admin   1224 Dec  5 19:46 4 Pianoids
drwxrwxrw-   24 root  admin    816 Dec  5 19:46 5 Orgones
drwxrwxrw-   39 root  admin   1326 Dec  5 19:46 6 Lupins
drwxrwxrw-   24 root  admin    816 Dec  5 19:46 7 Noises
drwxrwxrw-   10 root  admin    340 Dec  5 19:46 8 Perkers
drwxrwxrw-   22 root  admin    748 Dec  5 19:46 9 Clowns
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18323 Oct 30  2007 HS 16 Perc.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  19154 Oct 30  2007 HS Acidophilus+.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18542 Nov  1  2007 HS Almost Strings+.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18467 Oct 30  2007 HS Bass One+.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18702 Oct 30  2007 HS Crimson Flutes+.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18229 Oct 30  2007 HS DY7 Add Pad.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18198 Oct 30  2007 HS Fuzz Dance.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18615 Oct 30  2007 HS Gimme Some B3.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  26644 Oct 30  2007 HS Harp Squeak.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18743 Oct 30  2007 HS Inner Temple.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18222 Oct 30  2007 HS Kwedgeman.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18188 Oct 30  2007 HS Lithophany.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18213 Oct 31  2007 HS Lord of the Strings.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18198 Oct 31  2007 HS Macaroni+.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18814 Oct 31  2007 HS Pagan.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18231 Oct 31  2007 HS Phase Machine.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18273 Nov  1  2007 HS Purify.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18194 Nov  1  2007 HS Singclavier.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18179 Nov  1  2007 HS Thick as Nick.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18175 Nov  1  2007 HS Tompangos.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18411 Nov  1  2007 HS Virtus+.h2p
-rwxrwxrw-    1 root  admin  18840 Nov 23  2007 initialize.h2p
-Mike

It seems for me very similar to other plugins at least at the first level :

G5:/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components groumpf$ ls -l
total 0
drwxrwxr-x   3 root     admin    102 Jun 20  2007 AmpliTubeJimiHendrix.component
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     admin    102 Sep 12  2007 GearBoxAU.component
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     admin    102 May 23  2005 JACK-insert.component
drwxr-xr-x   3 groumpf  groumpf  102 May  7  2007 MultiInspectorFree.component
drwxr-xr-x   4 groumpf  groumpf  136 May 16  2008 Trash.component
drwxrwxr-x   4 root     admin    136 Dec  5 19:48 Zebra2.component

As a result almost all files and directories are unreadable under regular user account.

Hmmm... shouldn't it be the other way round?

All the installer should do is enable write permissions to every user. If the directories are not writable, you can't save your own presets. You also can't switch the default gui.

Hmm... do directories have to be executable to be accessed by everyone?

What permissions do you suggest so that all preset directories and the Resource path are fully accessible by everyone?

;) Urs

P.S.: Btw. I don't think I have influence on the owner and group settings.

If I reinstall Zebra, it creates an empty /Library/Audio/presets/u-he folder which is not writable to regular users.
So maybe there is a mistake here because I want all my files to be in my user folder so I can backup it and be sure to get all my documents.

It is mandatory to have Zebra installed in /Library ?

Can it be put in ~/Library ?

groumpf wrote:If I reinstall Zebra, it creates an empty /Library/Audio/presets/u-he folder which is not writable to regular users.
So maybe there is a mistake here because I want all my files to be in my user folder so I can backup it and be sure to get all my documents.

It is mandatory to have Zebra installed in /Library ?

Can it be put in ~/Library ?
The problem with installers is, they can't access the user level. Apple installers only work on root level (local domain).

I now think that your installation problems and this may be related. Maybe you just need to drag the components and all over to your user ~/Library folder.

I will study these things a bit more and hopefully come back with a solution. Maybe the installer script can copy the files over to the user domain.

Later,

;) Urs

I've uploaded an installer with executable permissions for directories and a debug build (AU):

http://www.u-he.com/Zebra23MacInstall.zip

This one should fix problems when the user isn't an admin... (which I think is also the problem that groumpf is experiencing)

Let me know how this one goes...

;) Urs

Urs wrote:I've uploaded an installer with executable permissions for directories and a debug build (AU):

This one should fix problems when the user isn't an admin... (which I think is also the problem that groumpf is experiencing)

;) Urs
I was having a hard time setting the default skin, but I downloaded this new version, and it looks like it's fixed. Is the size also supposed to be saved with "set as default"? Unfortunately that preference isn't saved...

No big deal though. Thanks for the update!

viudu wrote:Is the size also supposed to be saved with "set as default"? Unfortunately that preference isn't saved...
Not yet... gotta work on some workarounds for certain hosts before I can add that...

Urs wrote: Hmmm... shouldn't it be the other way round?

All the installer should do is enable write permissions to every user. If the directories are not writable, you can't save your own presets. You also can't switch the default gui.

Hmm... do directories have to be executable to be accessed by everyone?

What permissions do you suggest so that all preset directories and the Resource path are fully accessible by everyone?

;) Urs

P.S.: Btw. I don't think I have influence on the owner and group settings.
Urs,

unfortunately I don't know how exactly installer works and what you can do while it's running. If you have access to the shell, the installer can do pretty much anything (it has 'root' privileges). In the 'worst' case scenario you have three accounts to work with: root, admin (can be any name) and the current user. When the user runs the installer, he authorizes it with the admin account and then the installer gets root privileges through it. Ideally you would want to make the plugin itself writable for admins and read-only for everyone else. I don't know how good is the idea of giving write access to everyone for default presets, but it depends of course on the internal Zebra architecture.

Anyway for the plugin itself permissions should be:
directories - 0775
files - 0664

For the presets and resources (everyone has access):
directories - 0777
files - 0666

It would be the best to change the owner of all files from root to current admin, but again I don't know if it is possible within your installer. All I can say that I saw it done for other applications on my Mac.

Urs wrote:I've uploaded an installer with executable permissions for directories and a debug build (AU):

;) Urs
Urs,

I checked this one. The directories are OK (again I don't know if it is a good idea to give write access to the plugin component to everyone). The files have 'x' bit set which does not make sense, you can safely remove it for all ordinary (non-executable) files. Basically the only file that needs it (for everyone) is the plugin itself.

Another thing. It would be great to have the receipt package for Zebra (and put it into the Receipts directory) with all correct permissions set. Thus the 'repair permissions' would fix them if anything goes wrong after installation.

I know it's a hassle but 'if anything is worth doing, it's worth doing well' isn't it? :wink:

michkhol wrote:Anyway for the plugin itself permissions should be:
directories - 0775
files - 0664

directories - 0777
files - 0666
I think that's pretty much what the updated installer does. As far as I can see...

Unfortunately I can't do a chmod on every single preset and resource file, hence they got 777 too (chmod -R 777). The presets must be writable because some people overwrite them with switched off effects etc.

;) Urs

Urs wrote:
michkhol wrote:Anyway for the plugin itself permissions should be:
directories - 0775
files - 0664

directories - 0777
files - 0666
I think that's pretty much what the updated installer does. As far as I can see...

Unfortunately I can't do a chmod on every single preset and resource file, hence they got 777 too (chmod -R 777). The presets must be writable because some people overwrite them with switched off effects etc.

;) Urs
A little bit more complicated command will do the trick:

directories:

find <dir> -type d -exec chmod 0777 {} \;
files:

find <dir> -type f -exec chmod 0666 {} \;

Hello, Zebra 2.3.1 works great with my MacG4 pb OSX10.3.9.
I repaired permissions and that went well.
Question is when I click on Zebra and choose get info, permissions and ownership are set to read only, and details has it locked and the owner is System. Access is set to read & write. I can unlock it and change it to my user name, but is it normal to have owner as System? Should I change the permissions to my user name? I'am the administrator.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
Michael

Return to “u-he”