##Music Theory- Modes?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, some of my faovrite bands have been described as using "modal harmonies". in short, what does this mean? I have found volumes of information on modes, but not modal harmony.

In, layman's terms, I've always considered the music somewhat dissonant yet not...perhaps this is not an observation about the modal harmony at all, so I thought I'd ask, thanks.
Last edited by ouroboros on Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
..what goes around comes around..

Modal jazz was a reaction to the fast, complex chord progressions of bebop. It consists of long passages of the same chord (or chords taking the same mode) giving the soloist room to explore the melody.
Now with improved MIDI jitter!

so the "modal harmony" of a piece might refer to the melody explored above a simple chord (progression)?

You might find this site helpful in answering your question, the simple answer to which is no. Here's the link http://chordmaps.com/part10.htm

Ciao!

Auditorily think "Bitches Brew" vs "Rebirth of Cool" and you'll hear it in your head.
You can't just wig out soloing through tons of modes over any old chord changes.
It allows for freedom in playing in a different direction than playing over changes.

:lol: I'm afraid I don't know enough about jazz to unerstand your example.
I'm pretty musically simple. I think I understand the basic concept of modes, but I am obviously missing something :hihi:

Modal harmony is just using the chord(s) of a mode rather than a key. For example, if you take a single chord consisting of the notes C, E, G, and B, repeated that chord a lot and played a melody over it using only the notes of the C Major scale, you'd be playing modally (C Ionian mode, to be exact.) :)
Mizutaphile.

eerrrr...ok I'm confused. Why is that modal, your just using the notes of C major over a Cmaj7 chord....isnt that just....'normal' major harmony?? (if there is such a thing...im confusing myself). I thought modal harmony is where you use a modal scale to improvise over chords within that scale.

So like using a mixolydian scale to improvise over a 7th chord (as it has a b7 in the scale)

:? :help:

WoJ

WoJ wrote:I thought modal harmony is where you use a modal scale to improvise over chords within that scale.
You're right. C Ionian (C major) is a mode. Cmaj7 is a chord in that mode. You'd play a melody over the Cmaj7 chord using the notes of C Ionian mode (C Major) for example. There's not much of a difference, is there? Modes tend to be simpler and usually without chromaticism.

This is how I was taught. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. :hihi: :P I don't think I am, though.

I just kind of understand it backwards, I think, because it's easier for me. :D
Mizutaphile.

Ah right, i get it now, i just wasnt thinking straight. the major scale is a mode, i just dont usualy think about it as 'ionian'. Yes, if any1's wrong in this thread please correct em, i've got my grade 8 pop-theory exam comming up soon :? i should know all this :hihi:

WoJ

HA!
see, I knew it was confusing :hihi:

:lol:

I'll take that as a... "I have no idea wtf you guys are talking about"?
Mizutaphile.

'yup.

actually, Ildon your explanation makes the most sense to me, it's just that, lacking as I am, I understand at some level what you said, but I can't immediately imagine how it would sound differently.

you people really have no idea how hard it is to be this dense!
:)
Last edited by ouroboros on Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Okay. Go to your nearest keyboard or piano roll. Hold down C, E, G and B. Now on an octave above, with your other hand, play C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C. Voila, instant modality. Don't concern yourself too much with fancy names unless you're in a band or something. :P
Mizutaphile.

Return to “Music Theory”