Best synth under 3000 euros (new or vintage)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:37 pm i remember as a parent of a 10 year old, when the school wanted them to take music lessons, which parents were choosing, cello, tuba or harp for their kids to learn??
tin whistle or mouth organ, in case i end up carrying it home!

My daughter chose the harp and she has now played more than 10 years so we have one of these beasts:

Luckily it doesn't fit in our car so I've been able to refuse lugging it around! :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:54 am
vurt wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:37 pm i remember as a parent of a 10 year old, when the school wanted them to take music lessons, which parents were choosing, cello, tuba or harp for their kids to learn??
tin whistle or mouth organ, in case i end up carrying it home!

My daughter chose the harp and she has now played more than 10 years so we have one of these beasts:

Luckily it doesn't fit in our car so I've been able to refuse lugging it around! :)
Does she know Emily?

https://youtube.com/shorts/54I3BG4bVaA?feature=shared
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

stoopicus wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:31 pm Imagine being Vangelis' roadie.
Wheels and hydrolic lifts help tremendously.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Pretty sure Vangelis is dead. So being a roadie would be a grim job.
<list your stupid gear here>

easier than it used to be i guess.

egbert101 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:19 pm Pretty sure Vangelis is dead.
Blasphemy. He is risen.

Uncle E wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:25 pm
Blasphemy. He is risen.
2000 years from now, anyone of us, could have our forum posts read as part of some gospel or other.
be careful what you say!!!

Blasphemy. He is risen.
With a riser?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

egbert101 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:19 pm Pretty sure Vangelis is dead. So being a roadie would be a grim job.
Come on, it could be a Weekend with Bernie kind of tour.

Curious: With what did the topic starter end up with?
For 2999 euro you can buy loads of cool synths without to much or no menu-diving. PolyBrute, Super6 come te mind, but also a NordLead 2, 3 or 4 would be nice as you already have a P6. These synths have almost no menu diving. Juno-60 would be nice too.
Analog Fusion - 99 Studio Electronics SE-3X presets
Analog Wonders - 100 Behringer Pro-800 presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

vurt wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:29 pm
Blasphemy. He is risen.
2000 years from now, anyone of us, could have our forum posts read as part of some gospel or other.
be careful what you say!!!
Only if you're printing out threads and binding them in embossed leather bound books for safekeeping.

When KVR stops, as it will one day, that'll be in. Gone. Vanished. No trace left. And no one will notice.

:hihi:

solidtrax wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:36 am Curious: With what did the topic starter end up with?
For 2999 euro you can buy loads of cool synths without to much or no menu-diving. PolyBrute, Super6 come te mind, but also a NordLead 2, 3 or 4 would be nice as you already have a P6. These synths have almost no menu diving. Juno-60 would be nice too.
I've had a poly fund kicking about for a few years now but I haven't been able make a decision... But Novation Summit is top of the list for this price bracket. Lots of voices, loads of controls, great sound. Perhaps could have more/better wavtables and an extra filter flavour, but just great as it is.

The udo 6 (or now 12) both would be amazing. For me they perhaps lacked a tiny bit of bite, but for a range of classic clean modern sounding polys these are both amazing.

_leras wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:03 am
solidtrax wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:36 am Curious: With what did the topic starter end up with?
I've had a poly fund kicking about for a few years now but I haven't been able make a decision... But Novation Summit is top of the list for this price bracket. Lots of voices, loads of controls, great sound. Perhaps could have more/better wavtables and an extra filter flavour, but just great as it is.

The udo 6 (or now 12) both would be amazing. For me they perhaps lacked a tiny bit of bite, but for a range of classic clean modern sounding polys these are both amazing.
My personal opinion in the current market:

Yamaha Montage M6 (£3,219) - Best digital synthesizer for the money but I still believe overpriced and over the OP's budget.
Waldorf Iridium Keyboard (£2,269) - Second best digital synthesizer because the Quantum 2 Hybrid is over budget at £4000.
Sequential Trigon 6 (£3,237) - Still the best analog synthesizer but again slightly over the OP's budget. And he doesn't want Sequential.
Oberheim OB-X8 (£3,099) - Well not technically sequential, and I would prefer Prophet 5 for bread and butter, but this has to be the second best analog synthesizer currently. Again, way overpriced IMO, and the recent TEO-5 (and Take-5) offer better value IMO.
<list your stupid gear here>

Summit will be on sale next month, at least in the US.

Hopefully some TEO-5 vs. UB-Xa videos will happen. That could be interesting

_leras wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:03 am I've had a poly fund kicking about for a few years now but I haven't been able make a decision... But Novation Summit is top of the list for this price bracket. Lots of voices, loads of controls, great sound. Perhaps could have more/better wavtables and an extra filter flavour, but just great as it is.

I'm in similar situation. I've got around $20k stashed away burning a hole in my pocket and I keep dithering about with big analogue polys. I told myself I was going to get a Summit, then UBXa came out and I was going to instabuy that but talked myself in and out of it. I'm all excited about Jupiter coming out from Behringer, and/or the Neptune thingy. But TBH I think I keep pausing cos I probably just don't really need a poly. I kinda want one but I'm reasonably sure it's just gear lust.

For the kind of music I tend to make there's just no big need for analogue polyphony. I do use pads but Wavestate can beat the pants off any analogue in terms of lush and interesting pads and I almost always turn to that for anything vocal or string-like. I occasionally do stabs & pretend guitar chords for dub, but Opsix has me covered for that. I think reality is telling me - yeah it'd be nice to have a giant analogue poly, but WTF are you actually going to do with it? And my honest answer is - I don't know. Doesn't stop me kinda wanting one though. I rarely even ever play more than 4 note chords FFS, so 16 voices really is redundant for me. But bigger is better, right? :dog:

I think it'll be the Behringer Jupiter most likely, but I'll change my mind at least 15 more times.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”