Best synth under 3000 euros (new or vintage)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I managed to sell some gear I don't use much, and now I have about 3k to spend for a synth.

I want something versatile that keeps things simple (no menu diving), and most of all, it has to sound great.

I already own a Prophet 6, which does what is said above. So I want something a bit different. It doesn't have to be 3K. It can be vintage.

The music I do is kind of Balearic : https://kekoskekos.bandcamp.com/

What would be the best pick, in your opinion?

Thx for your help.

That's a pretty broad request, but I'll throw out a few suggestions.

Mono synths: Arturia MatrixBrute: amazing analog monophonic/paraphonic (with some cool poly tricks up its sleeve) and no menu-diving. It's a large and hefty beast that requires some desk space.

Poly synths: since you're already familiar with the Prophet 6, consider an OB-6 or Trigon 6. They're both 6-note polyphonic synths based on the P-6 paradigm, so you'll feel at home with them immediately. They are basically the Oberheim flavored (OB-6) and Moog-flavored (Trigon 6) versions of the Prophet 6. Another consideration is the Arturia PolyBrute, which is mostly knob per function with some limited menu-diving (mostly for set-and-forget settings rather than per patch settings).

Those are modern synths just off the top of my head of synths that I currently own (except the Trigon, which is in my not-too-distant future). It might be helpful to give us some more information. Monophonic vs. polyphonic? Are you looking for a rack/desktop or with a keyboard? Do you have a preference for analog, digital, or hybrid? Is an on-board arpeggiator or sequencer important to you?

BTW, I just checked out your tracks and loved them, especially Bermuda Nights! :phones:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

To complement P6 I would look at REV2-16. Even being DCO based other features compensate for that with 4 LFO, modulation options in abundance. DCO's have settings like if to reset each key press or be free running. And best of all, dual timbre, to either layer or split or two separate synths.
- desktop and keyboard version

My favorite way to use it is to copy layer A to B, modify osc slop and voice pan a bit in one layer making up a two voice unison for every note creating a really full sound, and still be 8 voice poly.

If just wanting more modulation options than P6 and Take 5 might be an alternative having VCO's.
- only keyboard version

Otherwise UDO Audio Super 6 is an interesting hybrid synth, with no analog oscillators but some filter is analog 4 pole. 6/12 voice depending if running stereo or not. Sounds great.
- also available as desktop if prefering that

https://www.udo-audio.com/super-6#tech-spec

I'm looking for a Poly.

At first glance, I'm not inclined to buy another recent Sequential synth.

Behringer just released their UB-XA...

I wouldn't say it's the best synth (that would go to the Prophet 5, OB-X8 or Trigon-6), but it's the best poly for the money, and it's not sequential.
<list your stupid gear here>

If you're looking for a vintage poly a Juno 6/60 might be something.
UDO super 6 still has my interest but havent tested it myself so can't really advise about it.
Some love the peak/summit, but the sound didn't convince me when I tried it.

If a mono is something you wanna consider I'd say subsequent 37. That's synth is amazing. Or a matriarch. That moog sounds goes well with a p6.

Nina is on sale right now for a little over 3000 euros

pdxindy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:22 pm Nina is on sale right now for a little over 3000 euros
Never really looked into that one, but the short demos I heard I always feel its too high priced. You have it? If so what does it have that other synths don't?

Drone motors for knobs
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Korg Prologue 16 should come in at that price, an 8 voice easily. It's definitely different character to your Prophet and only a little bit of menu-diving. The main synthesis stuff is all knobs. Korg filters would give you something definitely different - all the standard stuff but then you get real character & aggression when you push them. Sounds like there might be supply issues in Europe, but I can definitely get Prologues this side of the world, despite rumors of discontinuation. They are definitely for sale and available.

Personally, I've now canned the idea of a Prologue. Going to get a MinilogueXD - which is 4voice and gives the lovely Korg filters and a smaller version of the Prologue, then get a Behringer UBXa on top as soon as it's out. Should be similar price for those 2 as for 1 other poly. UBXa didn't initially appeal to me but every new tidbit I see and hear is making it more and more appealing. UBXa will leave you plenty of change from 3k :wink: . Don't buy into the usual crap about Behringer quality...I ended up with several Behringers and TBH some of them surprised me by how tank-like they're built. Sturdier than some far more expensive synths. Not all, but some.

Vintage - don't even consider. We're now in a golden age of analogue where it's more affordable then ever before. I can't think of any vintage poly that's even close to a Polylogue, PolyBrute, Nina, UBXa, Prophet variation etc for even close to the price. And potentially decrepit. :?

MartinezNL wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:30 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:22 pm Nina is on sale right now for a little over 3000 euros
Never really looked into that one, but the short demos I heard I always feel its too high priced. You have it? If so what does it have that other synths don't?
I don't have it. It does have 1 unique feature (motorized knobs) and an appealing feature set that is uncommon.

12 voices
2 VCO's and a wavetable Osc per voice
4 part multi-timbral
Patch morphing
Very deep modulation capabilities

The motorized knobs means when you switch presets or switch between the sounds in the 4 parts, the knobs move to reflect the sound so you always see the knobs in the correct position for the sound. Very nice!

The modulation is deep. You can select say LFO 2 and then move any parameter(s) to modulate it.

From all accounts, very solid build.

Since you said you aren't interested in a Sequential, I would 2nd kriticon and suggest a Prologue 16 with some caviats: it has a row of buttons with a menu each; you don't get a mod matrix; and it only has one LFO. However it has a great filter, fantastic controls with some you don't see much, and an array of great add-ons from FM and wavetable synthesis to retro effects and knarly distortion. And you can get it with extra effects for less than 2k.

For a synth that's different than what you have, I'd recommend looking into something alike Yamaha Motif series.
Not really vintage, lots on offer second-hand for not so crazy prices, and offers a complementing modern sound palette.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Novation Summit is another wonderful synth, sadly underrated.

Hybrid like the Udo 6, but powerful like a REV-2 16.
With some extra like 3 osc wavefrom and wavetables, polyphonic unison. Dual VCF. Noise as source of modulation. 2 source per mod matrix slot.
An unique 3 stage analogue overdrive and saturation. One the on the best hardware reverb in a synth, and also an amazing chorus. This for less than £2000

What else ? The board is an invitation to the sound design and it sound fantastic.

Something WAY less than 3000 euros is the Behringer 2600. I was playing mine last night with the help of Anthony Martinelli's YouTube channel and I Love the sounds it can make. Not quite as nice as his original 2600, (does anyone have 15,000 they can lend me?) but super flexible analog synth.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”