how can you get WinAmp to play at the same time a VST host is running?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

right now I'm trying to get FlexASIO to work. throwing errors about failed to create buffers. could use some tips.

Get a card with multiclient drivers.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Voicemeeter Banana or Voicemeeter Matrix will do it, a little tricky to set up but it works.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

[quote="Kenegthalib" post_id=8866287 time=1710195410 user_id=269996]
right now I'm trying to get FlexASIO to work. throwing errors about failed to create buffers. could use some tips.

[/quote]

THIS is how I use FlexASIO with Reaper (using my built-in laptop soundcard) while allowing me to hear everything else (i.e. browser YouTube videos, Foobar2000 playback, etc.)

1. Install FlexASIO

2. Open a cmd prompt with admin privledges:

I am assuming you are running 64-bit windows...
Be sure to replace [USER] below with your actual Windows username...
Type in or copy the following and press ENTER:
"c:\Program Files\FlexASIO\x64\portaudiodevices.exe" > "c:\Users\[USER]\Desktop\Devices.txt"

Ignore the scrolling output in the command window; when complete, close the window.

3. Open 'Devices.txt' that was written to desktop in step 2.

There are MANY entries; scroll and find the 'Device Name' of your soundcard ***with the 'Host API type [WASAPI]***
(You will need use the Device name in step 5 below.)
On my system, the entry was:

Device index: 23
Device name: "Speakers / Headphones (Realtek High Definition Audio)"
Default sample rate: 48000
Input: max channel count 0, default latency 0s (low) 0s (high)
Output: max channel count 2, default latency 0.003s (low) 0.01s (high)
Host API name: Windows WASAPI
Host API type: 13 [WASAPI]
DEFAULT OUTPUT DEVICE for this host API
WASAPI device default format: WAVEFORMAT with format tag 65534 [EXTENSIBLE], 2 channels, 48000 samples/second,....
WASAPI device mix format: WAVEFORMAT with format tag 65534 [EXTENSIBLE], 2 channels, 48000 samples/second....

(Replace [USER] in the next line with your actual Windows username)
4. Since I cannot attach a text file, copy the following lines below (from #START to #END) into a text editor and save as: 'c:\Users\[USER]\FlexASIO.toml'

#START
backend = "Windows WASAPI"
bufferSizeSamples = 480 #SHARED MODE: smallest possible latency is 20ms -> 480/48000 x 2ch? (see https://github.com/dechamps/FlexASIO/is ... -538533754)
#bufferSizeSamples = 192 #EXCLUSIVE MODE: 4ms@48khz (192/48000)

[input]
device=""

[output]
device = "Speakers / Headphones (Realtek High Definition Audio)" #update this line to have the correct WASAPI device name for your system
suggestedLatencySeconds = 0.0
#wasapiExclusiveMode = true
#END

5. Update the device name (i.e. the first line in the [output] section with the exact string AS IT APPEARS in the Devices.txt file; be sure to include quotes) and resave the toml file.

6. Open DAW, use ASIO -> FlexASIO for the output configuration.

7. Since FlexASIO is running in 'shared' mode, all other sound apps should work as expected.

Voice Meter Banana can do this. Basically its a mixer for your software. You send output of your Winamp and vst host to VMB and send the VMB out to onboon board sound card . Its donationware.
https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

You can also try the FL Asio driver. See also this thread: viewtopic.php?t=560749

MusicMayor wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:57 pm
Kenegthalib wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:16 pm right now I'm trying to get FlexASIO to work. throwing errors about failed to create buffers. could use some tips.

THIS is how I use FlexASIO with Reaper (using my built-in laptop soundcard) while allowing me to hear everything else (i.e. browser YouTube videos, Foobar2000 playback, etc.)

1. Install FlexASIO

2. Open a cmd prompt with admin privledges:

I am assuming you are running 64-bit windows...
Be sure to replace [USER] below with your actual Windows username...
Type in or copy the following and press ENTER:
"c:\Program Files\FlexASIO\x64\portaudiodevices.exe" > "c:\Users\[USER]\Desktop\Devices.txt"

Ignore the scrolling output in the command window; when complete, close the window.

3. Open 'Devices.txt' that was written to desktop in step 2.

There are MANY entries; scroll and find the 'Device Name' of your soundcard ***with the 'Host API type [WASAPI]***
(You will need use the Device name in step 5 below.)
On my system, the entry was:

Device index: 23
Device name: "Speakers / Headphones (Realtek High Definition Audio)"
Default sample rate: 48000
Input: max channel count 0, default latency 0s (low) 0s (high)
Output: max channel count 2, default latency 0.003s (low) 0.01s (high)
Host API name: Windows WASAPI
Host API type: 13 [WASAPI]
DEFAULT OUTPUT DEVICE for this host API
WASAPI device default format: WAVEFORMAT with format tag 65534 [EXTENSIBLE], 2 channels, 48000 samples/second,....
WASAPI device mix format: WAVEFORMAT with format tag 65534 [EXTENSIBLE], 2 channels, 48000 samples/second....

(Replace [USER] in the next line with your actual Windows username)
4. Since I cannot attach a text file, copy the following lines below (from #START to #END) into a text editor and save as: 'c:\Users\[USER]\FlexASIO.toml'

#START
backend = "Windows WASAPI"
bufferSizeSamples = 480 #SHARED MODE: smallest possible latency is 20ms -> 480/48000 x 2ch? (see https://github.com/dechamps/FlexASIO/is ... -538533754)
#bufferSizeSamples = 192 #EXCLUSIVE MODE: 4ms@48khz (192/48000)

[input]
device=""

[output]
device = "Speakers / Headphones (Realtek High Definition Audio)" #update this line to have the correct WASAPI device name for your system
suggestedLatencySeconds = 0.0
#wasapiExclusiveMode = true
#END

5. Update the device name (i.e. the first line in the [output] section with the exact string AS IT APPEARS in the Devices.txt file; be sure to include quotes) and resave the toml file.

6. Open DAW, use ASIO -> FlexASIO for the output configuration.

7. Since FlexASIO is running in 'shared' mode, all other sound apps should work as expected.
you can do the same exact thing with one of the FlexASIO GUI's. tried those parameters and it didn't work. no sound for the input. at least it didn't crash or give errors.

one thing I did figure out, is the error

asio - Failed to create buffers - ASE_HWMalfunction (0xfffffc19)

when trying to use FlexASIO in a VST host, was resolved by opening the ASIO4ALL control panel and disabling all devices. the ASIO4ALL driver must have had a persistent connection with exclusive access and prevented FlexASIO from connecting. (or could have uninstalled ASIO4ALL)

with all the time I spent on this, if I was at work I would have made enough money to buy a bunch of actual pedals! and it's still not working

My last 2 audio devices were PreSonus. They have multi-client ASIO and WDM drivers and had no problem playing my DAW and any other audio source at the same time, even at different sample rates.

Currently I have an IK AXE. It can only play two audio sources on Windows simultaneously if they’re the same sample rate.

But I’m using Mac almost exclusively now, and there are no problems with playing any number of sources together at various sample rates.

So I guess the point is it can be done, but you need to buy the right equipment.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Yes, even my 2001 PCI m-audio 2496 could play from multiple sources with multiple samplerates at the same time. Do not buy the cheapest usb box and think it'll be good enough :)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Blaster wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:38 pm You can also try the FL Asio driver. See also this thread: viewtopic.php?t=560749
This is probably the easiest. You trade latency for ASIO going through the Windows mixer directly (IIRC ASIO4All doesn't do this), which has additional benefits, like you can easily capture the output of your DAW for screen captures (video recording, live streaming etc). As long as you don't need low latency, the setup is a lot easier than other more powerful options.

If you install it, you need to go into the control panel and select your output device, but that's pretty much all the setup that should be needed.

Flex also works for screen captures and multiple applications playing sound at once, but I don't have it installed on this PC to confirm what settings you need. If it isn't working, just try the FL Studio one. It's geared towards people who don't want to be faffing around with setting everything up, but is also very limited in what it can do.

The other alternative is to simply use the Windows devices rather than ASIO in your host. Latency will really suffer though.

I got FlexASIO to work by uninstalling the ASIO4ALL driver. they must have a conflict. it worked with back end= WASAPI, exclusive mode unchecked for both input and output, input= WASAPI/[USB input device] or none, output= WASAPI/Speakers. other types such as WDS-KS or MME caused FlexASIO.toml to go "index out of range".

WinAmp plays along with the VST host.

buffers can go as low as 140 without causing FlexASIO.toml to go "index out of range" which supposedly has a latency of 3.2 ms but that's wrong, it feels like 30-50 ms or more which is unacceptable when playing fast.

looking for advice on how to get the latency down or at least represented correctly.

Kenegthalib wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:58 pm looking for advice on how to get the latency down or at least represented correctly.
If you had put ten dollars in a jar for every hour you spent troubleshooting this issue, then by now you should have saved up enough to buy a proper audio interface featuring a multi-client wdm + asio driver ;-)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Especially as some of them are so dirt cheap... E.g.: https://www.thomann.de/de/steinberg_ur12_black.htm

Note that that particular interface only has chinch outs though.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”