how can you get WinAmp to play at the same time a VST host is running?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

how can you get WinAmp to play at the same time a VST host is running?

because the vst host has to use ASIO drivers, which take exclusive control of the speakers and won't let any other program play any other audio.

an mp3 player vst plugin doesn't work because it eats up too many CPU cycles and after 2 minutes the sound quality is so degraded you have to reset the buffer.

I tried using a winamp plugin called out_asio.dll thinking that would send the output to the ASIO4ALL driver and then to the speakers, but it doesn't work anyway.

I tried using that FlexASIO driver with the vst host, which supposedly can do multiple inputs/outputs, but couldn't get that to work at all.

how do you do it?

Use your onboard sound card and an audio interface. ;)

Not all DAWs support only ASIO.
Not all interfaces have single-client drivers.
So this is some bad luck...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:54 pm Use your onboard sound card and an audio interface. ;)
I have a USB interface and the computer has a sound card. now what?

This not being able to play two things at once is….a thing?
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

BertKoor wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:49 pm Not all DAWs support only ASIO.
Not all interfaces have single-client drivers.
So this is some bad luck...
specifically, I'm not using a DAW, it's a VST host. I use it to jam at home or play live. no editing or production stuff, not interested in that.

the VST host has to use an ASIO driver to reduce latency.

revvy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:58 pm This not being able to play two things at once is….a thing?
if it's not with you, tell me how you do it

Kenegthalib wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:58 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:54 pm Use your onboard sound card and an audio interface. ;)
For me it works this way: When I have my DAW open, it plays back on my audio interface (using ASIO driver), and I can open my browser, and watch Youtube, and get the audio over my internal sound card.

Kenegthalib wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:02 pm
revvy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:58 pm This not being able to play two things at once is….a thing?
I use a different OS, but that won’t help you, I know. Don’t think it’s an issue on Mac?

At work got 1 of the media guys on Win. I’m interested in this issue and on explanations, who knows if/when I might need to make music on Win.

Good luck!
Last edited by revvy on Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:06 pm
I use a different OS, but that won’t help you, I know. Don’t think it’s an issue on Mac?

I’m interested in this issue and on explanations, who knows if/when I might need to make music on Win.

Good luck!
I think I heard that Mac's don't need an ASIO driver because something is native something something. so they don't have this problem.

Kenegthalib wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:10 pm
revvy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:06 pm

I’m interested in this issue and on explanations, who knows if/when I might need to make music on Win.

Good luck!
I think I heard that Mac's don't need an ASIO driver because something is native something something. so they don't have this problem.
No, no ASIO, Core Audio. Obviously seems to do it differently.

chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:05 pm
Kenegthalib wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:58 pm
For me it works this way: When I have my DAW open, it plays back on my audio interface (using ASIO driver), and I can open my browser, and watch Youtube, and get the audio over my internal sound card.
I just tried it. browser doesn't play audio. as soon as I shut down VSThost the browser starts playing audio. what's the configs you have to get it to do that?

Which audio interface are you using? Im on a Steinberg UR22 mk2 here.

Behringer UM-2

Make sure your playback and recording settings in Windows is set to same format(sample rate and bit depth)! I have never had this problem if this are set to the same. If they are not the same, then i experience this problem you have. Try it first. If you are lucky it might work.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”