how can you get WinAmp to play at the same time a VST host is running?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kenegthalib wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:19 pm Behringer UM-2
Hmm... does it come with a ASIO driver, or is it one of the Behringer interfaces which only work with ASIO4ALL? If the latter, then you know what your problem is.

Edit: Yep, just checked. ASIO4ALL. Well, I don't think ASIO4ALL can do what you're asking for.

And, TBH, it's absolutely ridiculous that Behringer doesn't provide their own ASIO driver for their audio interfaces. ASIO4ALL is a workaround solution when there's no specific ASIO driver available for your general use sound card, not as something you'd run for your dedicated audio interface.
Last edited by chk071 on Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

they are the same. 1 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)

I can only recommend to get a proper audio interface with its own ASIO drivers.

chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:23 pm
Hmm... does it come with a ASIO driver, or is it one of the Behringer interfaces which only work with ASIO4ALL? If the latter, then you know what your problem is.

Edit: Yep, just checked. ASIO4ALL. Well, I don't think ASIO4ALL can do what you're asking for.

And, TBH, it's absolutely ridiculous that Behringer doesn't provide their own ASIO driver for their audio interfaces. ASIO4ALL is a workaround solution when there's no specific ASIO driver available for your general use sound card, not as something you'd run for your dedicated audio interface.
I installed the driver for it, which was just an ASIO driver with a sucky control panel. didn't work as good as ASIO4ALL and disabled any other audio.

besides that I have tried ASIO4ALL 2.10 thru 2.15 none of them allow WinAmp to play. also tried every combination of "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "give exclusive mode applications priority" for all playback and recording devices that could possibly be involved.

I only see ASIO4ALL offered on their product page: https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0AVV

chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:23 pm
not really. sometimes a device is just a device and a driver is just a driver. like your keyboard, mouse and monitor use generic drivers supplied by Windows. only this needs a special audio driver to reduce latency. and it doesn't HAVE to, you can set the VST host to use your regular Direct Sound driver to get audio from the interface, but that has all kinds of latency.

chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:35 pm I only see ASIO4ALL offered on their product page: https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0AVV
yes, and when you install it, you will see that it's a Behringer re-branded ASIO4ALL driver with a sucky interface.

Lol...

Hope they got it properly licensed at least. ;)

Well, I know this might not be very helpful, but, I'd really recommend to get another audio interface. Not sure if anything else will work in terms of simultaneiously playing back two audio sources when you run your DAW.

also tried every combination of "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"
Ok. I guess you before tried it with this unchecked if i am correct? If so you might need another soundcard if you want what you are after. I have had some basic soundcards that i could use youtube and DAW at the same time.

chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:42 pm Lol...

Hope they got it properly licensed at least. ;)

Well, I know this might not be very helpful, but, I'd really recommend to get another audio interface. Not sure if anything else will work in terms of simultaneiously playing back two audio sources when you run your DAW.
you said you do. so, what settings do you have that makes it work?

Well, I run my DAW with the ASIO driver provided be the manufacturer of my audio interface (Steinberg). That's about it. There is no special setting I use so that it works, it just works. Obviously, with ASIO4ALL, it isn't possible.

It's even possible with some ASIO drivers to play back several audio sources with one device. I don#t think that's possible with ASIO4ALL either.

I'm not familiar with it at all, but, obviously there's another general purpose ASIO Driver: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... rs-Windows

Not sure if that works for you though.

that's FlexASIO. like I said in the OP I tried that and couldn't get the driver to run.

chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:53 pm Well, I run my DAW with the ASIO driver provided be the manufacturer of my audio interface (Steinberg).
which is a re-branded Yamaha driver :hihi:

Kenegthalib wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:03 pm that's FlexASIO. like I said in the OP I tried that and couldn't get the driver to run.
Ah, sorry.

Well, I ran out of proposals then.

Kenegthalib wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:05 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:53 pm Well, I run my DAW with the ASIO driver provided be the manufacturer of my audio interface (Steinberg).
which is a re-branded Yamaha driver :hihi:
Sure, you could say that their interfaces are rebranded Yamaha devices. Not a bad thing in my eyes. ;)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”