Ableton preview midi files with synth sound?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnGee wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:10 am
jules99 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:26 am
What are you talking about? It's the same like you play a midi keyboard but stored in a midi file. It has been implemented in Cubase and S1 browser ages ago! Unless you are talking about something entirely different.

It doesn't need any cpu! You only choose the instrument then click play. Cubase let's you switch between the original midi tempo and the host which is very useful when hearing a pattern that recorded in a specific tempo different from the tempo you are working with.
No need to be harsh. You might have misunderstood. Say you have a MIDI file in your library, four chords or a melody, and you saved it there, because you used it in another project with something like DIVA. There is no way in Ableton's or Bitwig's browser to preview said MIDI file with DIVA without loading both of them onto a track.

Any you're saying this is something that both Cubase and Studio One's browsers are capable of? Previewing any MIDI file in combination with any third-party synth in the browser without loading it?

jules99 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:28 pm
EnGee wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:10 am
jules99 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:26 am
What are you talking about? It's the same like you play a midi keyboard but stored in a midi file. It has been implemented in Cubase and S1 browser ages ago! Unless you are talking about something entirely different.

It doesn't need any cpu! You only choose the instrument then click play. Cubase let's you switch between the original midi tempo and the host which is very useful when hearing a pattern that recorded in a specific tempo different from the tempo you are working with.
No need to be harsh. You might have misunderstood. Say you have a MIDI file in your library, four chords or a melody, and you saved it there, because you used it in another project with something like DIVA. There is no way in Ableton's or Bitwig's browser to preview said MIDI file with DIVA without loading both of them onto a track.

Any you're saying this is something that both Cubase and Studio One's browsers are capable of? Previewing any MIDI file in combination with any third-party synth in the browser without loading it?
Sorry if I seemed harsh to you, but actually my tone was friendly, only my writing failed to convey that 😀

No. You need to load the instrument first then choose the track or arm it, then you can preview the midi file in the browser.

I only use it for reviewing drums patterns that played by professional drummers. But I see the advantage also in previewing bass or chord progression by alternating instruments (already loaded in tracks) and patterns in the browser without dragging and dropping the tested pattern.

Getting Reaper - or even Cubase - is a solution that could work, but it feels like such a big investment for something so small. Does anyone know if there is any MIDI file player in plugin form that could do this?
BROKEN TECHNO for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

EnGee wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:14 pm
No. You need to load the instrument first then choose the track or arm it, then you can preview the midi file in the browser.
And OP's question was exactly that, previewing in the browser.

But what you're describing seems to be at least somewhat faster, than having to load BOTH plugin and MIDI file, which is what you have to do in Ableton.

jules99 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:00 am

But what you're describing seems to be at least somewhat faster, than having to load BOTH plugin and MIDI file, which is what you have to do in Ableton.
I see.
The midi files need an instrument however, and he/she can preview them in Windows Explorer by just double clicking them. Windows is built in GM (General Midi) synth like an old Sound Blaster and can play the files with it. Midi is just a data without audio, so can't be done in any host without loading instrument.

EnGee wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:18 am

I see.
The midi files need an instrument however, and he/she can preview them in Windows Explorer by just double clicking them. Windows is built in GM (General Midi) synth like an old Sound Blaster and can play the files with it. Midi is just a data without audio, so can't be done in any host without loading instrument.
And Ableton Live is one of the few DAWs where you can preview its internal instrument presets without loading them - they've included audio files for each. Which is what you would have to do for every preset of every third-party VSTi and every MIDI file if you wanted this CPU-free.

So if Ableton allowed that (which it doesn't), there would be a very time-consuming way to preview MIDI files on any synth preset without loading the actual instrument.

jules99 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:05 am
EnGee wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:18 am

I see.
And Ableton Live is one of the few DAWs where you can preview its internal instrument presets without loading them - they've included audio files for each. Which is what you would have to do for every preset of every third-party VSTi and every MIDI file if you wanted this CPU-free.

So if Ableton allowed that (which it doesn't), there would be a very time-consuming way to preview MIDI files on any synth preset without loading the actual instrument.
I'm not sure I can follow you! Presets is different kind of data from Midi patterns. You are talking about 'examples', so if I want to hear an example of the sound or kit, yes, Ableton has done a good job. The clips are good also because Ableton let you hear the pattern associated with a specific kit (sample) or instrument. However, if I need to hear it with a 3rd party instrument I can't do it in the browser, can I? This is what the OP is looking for I believe.

Anyway, if you buy 3rd party midi patterns or get free ones, especially for drums, they come in a midi file format. How can you preview them in Ableton Live? The answer is to drag and drop hundreds of files to each track! That's a time consuming way IMO!

DrGonzo wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:19 am Getting Reaper - or even Cubase - is a solution that could work, but it feels like such a big investment for something so small. Does anyone know if there is any MIDI file player in plugin form that could do this?
Cakewalk by Bandlab's browser allows midi file preview through any VSTi loaded within the project, and it is free.

DrGonzo wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:44 am I am honestly a bit shocked you can't preview with a 3rd party synth.
Very weird thinking here.

I had really hoped to see this developed with 12, doesn't appear to be so. So many great upgrades with 12 but i can't find a way to quickly preview midi patterns through the 3rd party synth I have up, this definitely disturbs my creative flow. This feature seems essential for anyone who has a collection of midi patterns. I've always been shocked that this hasn't been developed into Ableton and yet available on every other DAW I own. Weird indeed.

I gave it up. But I found MIDI Explorer for Live. And it works better than having nothing.

https://killihu.vstskins.com/midi-explorer/
BROKEN TECHNO for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”