I don't understand vocoders

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I get angry when I play with them. Where can a learn how they work and the best way to use them for the best results? --im tired
Do not lick the fablanky

It's quite simple:

Let's take Akai DC Vocoder in Cubase as an example.

1) open a group channel.

2) load the vocoder as an insert for that channel.

3) load a vsti that can produce saw pads and open a midi channel for it.

4) write a line for your pad and play it in a loop.

5) route that synth pad to the group channel and pan it hard left (or right, check the manual).

THIS IS YOUR CARRIER. a carrier is like a lump of dough. it is what your cookies will be made of.

6) open an audio channel and load some human speech / acapella / whatever into it.
route it to the group channel and pan it hard right (or left, check the manual).

THIS IS YOUR MODULATOR. a modulator is like hollow shapes of smileys, stars, and flowers.

what the vocoder does is take these nice flowers / stars / smileys and push them hard against the dough, thus creating some nice flowers / stars / smileys shaped cookies...

Really, vocoding is simple, alot more than baking.

funkadil wrote:I get angry when I play with them. Where can a learn how they work and the best way to use them for the best results? --im tired
Did you give 'Clone Boy' a try? It can vocode (in stereo) and is much easier to use than any vocoder I have yet to see.

Instructions are included.

Don't get angry - get 'Clone Boy' :wink:

funkadil wrote:I get angry when I play with them. Where can a learn how they work and the best way to use them for the best results? --im tired
It could help, if you can say which particular plugin or module you actually tried to use.

It is right, the usage of vocoders is often cumbersome. Sometimes also the used technique very different.

One of the most intuitive one is the FL included one. It is self-explainatory and FFT based (carrier included).

One of the most complex is the NI Vocator, which probably has the highest learning curve.

In principle all you want to know is:
Your voice is the modulator and modulates (mostly) a synthesizer voice directly. This way the vocoder begins to "speak" your articulation with the timbre of the synthesizer.

Wide Boy wrote: Don't get angry - get 'Clone Boy' :wink:
doh :dog: :P

thanks yall
Do not lick the fablanky

UvRayz wrote:It's quite simple:

Let's take Akai DC Vocoder in Cubase as an example.

1) open a group channel.

2) load the vocoder as an insert for that channel.

3) load a vsti that can produce saw pads and open a midi channel for it.

4) write a line for your pad and play it in a loop.

5) route that synth pad to the group channel and pan it hard left (or right, check the manual).

THIS IS YOUR CARRIER. a carrier is like a lump of dough. it is what your cookies will be made of.

6) open an audio channel and load some human speech / acapella / whatever into it.
route it to the group channel and pan it hard right (or left, check the manual).

THIS IS YOUR MODULATOR. a modulator is like hollow shapes of smileys, stars, and flowers.

what the vocoder does is take these nice flowers / stars / smileys and push them hard against the dough, thus creating some nice flowers / stars / smileys shaped cookies...

Really, vocoding is simple, alot more than baking.
okay thats it, I'm baking choco chip cookies today.. you've made my mind up.

I like your explanation too :hihi:

Return to “Effects”