GForce impOSCar 3 is here

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cake builder wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:19 pm
c_voltage wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:59 pm Noticeable also that Imposcar 3 seems has a bit more cpu footprint than Falcon with similar poly\release scenario.
This is what turned me off from upgrading. The sound is nice but I can get similar results for less resource from other synths.
Falcon don't really have the kind of modeled VCA and VCF that impOSCar has. To mimic the kind of gain/drive stuff that happens in impOSCar, you'd have to start adding distortion/overdrive effects and cranking them to their highest oversampling. I bet if you did that, the difference in CPU usage would be negligible and you wouldn't have a modeled filter that approximates the detail of impOSCar. That kind of sound isn't always necessary, but there's always a bit of a CPU hit, if you want it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I didn't mean from Falcon, and maybe nothing else sounds exactly like impOSCar but the CPU hit (on my machine, mostly on patches using wavetables) was enough that it curbed my interest.

cake builder wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:37 am I didn't mean from Falcon, and maybe nothing else sounds exactly like impOSCar but the CPU hit (on my machine, mostly on patches using wavetables) was enough that it curbed my interest.
Hive 2 using wavetables also hits the ol' CPU, though not as much. Just for comparison.

Sorry, I don’t understand either comparison. Is there another synth that combines wavetables with a modeled vintage sound?

Does Falcon have the filter Serparation? I'm not sure any other synth ever implemented that feature.

I'm happy you can run both v2 and v3 on the same system. I have a bunch of presets from v1 I need to convert and I was pleased to see v3 didn't overwrite the old v2.
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Mr Arkadin wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:45 am Does Falcon have the filter Serparation? I'm not sure any other synth ever implemented that feature.

I think any synth with parallel connection of two or more filters and macro functionality can achieve the equivalent of ImpOscar's filter separation, be it Zebra2, ACE, PhasePlant, Pigment5, and of course Falcon3.

To my ears, however, none of the above synths' filters have as strong analog character as the ImpOscar3.

NoriSato wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:30 am ,,,,,

To my ears, however, none of the above synths' filters have as strong analog character as the ImpOscar3.
And that to me is its strongest suit.
rsp
sound sculptist

Uncle E wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:06 am Sorry, I don’t understand either comparison. Is there another synth that combines wavetables with a modeled vintage sound?
Icarus, Massive X, Pigments and Dune all have analog modeled drive and filters. Waldorf’s PPG 3. SQ-80 V. Those are the first that come to mind.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I assume what Eric meant was the impOscar3 is a model of the Oscar plus other stuff (elsewhere I likened it to a love child between an Oscar, an Oberheim and a PPG).
Not just modeled drive and filters per se...
If you got that I am curious what synth(s) do the Icarus, Massive X, Pigments and Dune model?
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:08 pm I assume what Eric meant was the impOscar3 is a model of the Oscar plus other stuff (elsewhere I likened it to a love child between an Oscar, an Oberheim and a PPG).
If you got that I am curious what synth(s) do the Icarus, Massive X, Pigments and Dune model?
rsp
I get some really strong Oberheim tones going in it... that I like better than several Oberheim VA synths (possibly better than Gforce's OB-X, for example).

zerocrossing wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:36 pm
Uncle E wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:06 am Sorry, I don’t understand either comparison. Is there another synth that combines wavetables with a modeled vintage sound?
Icarus, Massive X, Pigments and Dune all have analog modeled drive and filters. Waldorf’s PPG 3. SQ-80 V. Those are the first that come to mind.
Hive also has analog-sounding filters. The ones in "Normal" mode are based on the Ladder filter, and the ones in "Dirty" are based on the Sallen-Key.

zvenx wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:08 pm I assume what Eric meant was the impOscar3 is a model of the Oscar plus other stuff (elsewhere I likened it to a love child between an Oscar, an Oberheim and a PPG).
rsp
Icarus has filters based on the Moog Ladder, MS-20 LPF (Rev 2), Roland TB303 (sounds also like their OTA filter), and even a 2-pole Curtis filter! Icarus' ladder filter sounds so good (especially with the self-oscillation) that I was able to recreate some keys and pads from Repro and sell my Repro license.

Mr Arkadin wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:45 am Does Falcon have the filter Serparation? I'm not sure any other synth ever implemented that feature.
Z3TA+ 2!

Korg Supporter wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:03 pm
rsp
Icarus has filters based on the Moog Ladder, MS-20 LPF (Rev 2), Roland TB303 (sounds also like their OTA filter), and even a 2-pole Curtis filter! Icarus' ladder filter sounds so good (especially with the self-oscillation) that I was able to recreate some keys and pads from Repro and sell my Repro license.
Yes but Eric, I believe was saying he couldn't think of any modeled analog synth with wavetables, he didn't say any synth with modeled analog filter... Huge difference.
the impOscar3 was in part modeled after the Oscar, with additional stuff... the Icarus is not modeled after any analog synth afaik.

Separate and apart:
Icarus is good, dont' get me wrong, but I am not hearing what you are hearing from its filters.. Sorry.
ymmv
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”