GForce impOSCar 3 is here

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:05 pm So, losing an LFO to control the wave index isn't a work-a-round to you? Weird stance, but OK.
Are the pathetic strawman and moved goalposts because you were got it wrong, and were caught bleating about it without knowing how to use the synth you were talking about?

Of course they are.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

zerocrossing wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:07 pm
kraster wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:12 pm I'm not hearing or seeing any significant difference between the two in terms of low pass.

I made a basic saw wave patch with no modulations on Imposcar 2 and loaded that into 3 and it sounded pretty much the same.

They don't null but that's almost certainly to do with different oscillator phase. There's no way of locking the phase that I can see.

Also on a spectrum analyser and an oscilloscope there's no significant difference between the two.

You can get really nasty with 3 if you want.
It’s quite pronounced. Check the preset that I mentioned from the original hardware to hear it the most clearly, but I’m surprised you don’t hear it on a basic sawtooth.
OK, when going to do the same thing again, same init preset, I am no longer getting the same result... so... I don't know what is going on. Maybe there is a bug where all the parameters are not properly resetting. I had this bug with Equator 2, though it seemed to only be effecting Bitwig users, which is what I'm using.

You can hear what I'm talking about in this example, though.

https://soundcloud.com/zerocrossing-1/i ... al_sharing
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:17 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:05 pm So, losing an LFO to control the wave index isn't a work-a-round to you? Weird stance, but OK.
Are the pathetic strawman and moved goalposts because you were got it wrong, and were caught bleating about it without knowing how to use the synth you were talking about?

Of course they are.
Weird hill do die on, thinking that it's normal to lose an LFO to control something with an envelope, where in other situations it works as expected, but OK.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:22 pmWeird hill do die on, thinking that it's normal to lose an LFO to control something with an envelope, where in other situations it works as expected, but OK.
Are the repeated pathetic strawmen and moved goalposts just continued childish handwaving because you were got it wrong, and were caught bleating about it without knowing how to use the synth you were talking about?

Of course; that's why you keep doing it. Couldnt possibly admit you were just plain wrong, could you? Keep going, you're making my point clearer and clearer every time.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:23 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:22 pmWeird hill do die on, thinking that it's normal to lose an LFO to control something with an envelope, where in other situations it works as expected, but OK.
Are the repeated pathetic strawmen and moved goalposts just continued childish handwaving because you were got it wrong, and were caught bleating about it without knowing how to use the synth you were talking about?

Of course; that's why you keep doing it. Couldnt possibly admit you were just plain wrong, could you? Keep going, you're making my point clearer and clearer every time.
Regardless that there is a workaround, it's still a bad design to have to sacrifice an lfo for the whole synth to get the filter envelope as a mod source. Maybe a hardware limitation but if you're going to add wavetable modulation then just add the envelope itself as a mod source. Simple.

I'm reposting this editied version to clarify my comments:

EDIT: I'm pretty sure my experience is based on an intermittent bug, so see my edits.

So, here's my mini review of the 3 upgrade.

4 out of 5 stars.

I just compared the naked saw on 2 vs 3, and they are quite different. 3 has a much attenuated high end. Looks like this is true for all the waveforms, including wavetables, though when I look at them in an oscilloscope, they don't look that far off, though there's some signs of aliasing on the v2 wave that's not in v3. If you travel up the keyboard the sawtooth on 3 starts looking like a triangle wave, as if there's a fixed low pass filter. This seems to be a bug, but it's really making the plugin sound very dark to me.

Going back today, same init patches, and I'm getting a different result with the plain sawtooth... so that's weird. This next part still checks out.

If you want to quickly check this out, load up 01HollowBass on both versions and prepare to weep. If this is closer to the OG OSCar, I think it's worse. (this is still happening.

Next... I miss the old additive waves. BellLike02 sounds nothing like the same waveform in v3. If I go in and edit it by hand I can get closer, but WTF? Also, v3 is all smooth, while v2 had that nice old school digital grit. Where's the grit? WHERE ARE YOU HIDING IT? Evidently, behind a low pass filter. :lol:

Same with the waves, same init patch, but now when I change to one of the additive waves, it's fine.

UI, much improved... and still crappy. I don't care how the OSCar was, please set up the controls in a way that visually makes sense.

The new reverb sounds OK. Sort of grainy, which I guess goes with the theme.

Opinion unchanged. Not a big deal, as there are plenty of great sounding smooth reverbs if I don't want this type of character.

Evidently you can't modulate the wavetable with an envelope. I don't even know where to start with that stupidity. Fail.

OK, you can do this, though it's not obvious, and you lose an LFO. I think they should just have it work like PW works. It's the same knob that's labeled PW/WT.

Wavetable editor is fine, but no wavetable import is a bummer. I'd rather have that than this very basic editor.

Opinion unchanged. I'd still like to see basic wavetable import.

Overall a pretty good update. I was all excited by the hyperbole and I didn't even bother to demo it. Stupid me. I hope they fix all the issues, or I'll probably keep using v2.

Overall a pretty good update, but there is definitely some sort of bug happening. Next time I experience it, I'll make a recording. I tried hopping around different patches and going back to the init (which I realized by default does not have the filter open, but I altered it) and it sounds OK now.
Zerocrossing Media

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:23 pm

Who hurt you?
Zerocrossing Media

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:48 pm Regardless that there is a workaround, it's still a bad design to have to sacrifice an lfo for the whole synth to get the filter envelope as a mod source..
Im sure Chris Huggett feels very contrite.

impOSCar has an extra LFO over the hardware, by the way.

zerocrossing wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:50 pm Who hurt you?
Projection now? Awwww diddums. Remind me, were you wrong about not being able to modulate the wavetable with an envelope or not?

zerocrossing wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:20 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:07 pm
kraster wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:12 pm I'm not hearing or seeing any significant difference between the two in terms of low pass.

I made a basic saw wave patch with no modulations on Imposcar 2 and loaded that into 3 and it sounded pretty much the same.

They don't null but that's almost certainly to do with different oscillator phase. There's no way of locking the phase that I can see.

Also on a spectrum analyser and an oscilloscope there's no significant difference between the two.

You can get really nasty with 3 if you want.
It’s quite pronounced. Check the preset that I mentioned from the original hardware to hear it the most clearly, but I’m surprised you don’t hear it on a basic sawtooth.
OK, when going to do the same thing again, same init preset, I am no longer getting the same result... so... I don't know what is going on. Maybe there is a bug where all the parameters are not properly resetting. I had this bug with Equator 2, though it seemed to only be effecting Bitwig users, which is what I'm using.

You can hear what I'm talking about in this example, though.

https://soundcloud.com/zerocrossing-1/i ... al_sharing
Yeah that's weird alright. I can see why you formed the opinion based on that.

Must be a bug. I haven't had anything like that...yet.

I generally don't agree with zerocrossing on much - but to be fair I downloaded impOSCar2 (I had deleted it in favour of 3) and tried the 01 Hollow Bass preset - and yes it is different.

However I went through all the standard waveforms and they all sound the same across 2 and 3, so I can only surmise it's a bug. As to where that bug is I am not sure, could even be a preset import issue.

Definitely worth reporting to GForce.

Yeah I wondered if it is a preset import issue, but I don't think imposcar2 exposes the factory presets individually (I guess I can always export it manually) for me to try to import it myself.
As I said, it is not a patch I would ever use, so my curiosity only went so far.

rsp

edit: apparently the factory bank was indeed easily exposed (in programs x86 subfolder).
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Fri May 17, 2024 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Does it still 'scream like a bastard'?

Wish they still sold those tees, mine fell to bits :cry:

seafire wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:27 pm Does it still 'scream like a bastard'?

Wish they still sold those tees, mine fell to bits :cry:
ive lost a fair whack of weight, mine looks like im wearing a tent :lol:

I found the top trumps a while back while going through some boxes 8)

Return to “Instruments”