Kazrog True Iron vs. Fabfilter Saturn 2 Transformer Mode

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ploki wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:39 pm Also cant say i found an issue with kelvin and CPU, it’s all over my tracks usually at least a few instances per project
What oversampling setting do you use? I should probably pull it off of 'Pristine'.

billinder33 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:51 pm
Ploki wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:39 pm Also cant say i found an issue with kelvin and CPU, it’s all over my tracks usually at least a few instances per project
What oversampling setting do you use? I should probably pull it off of 'Pristine'.
yeah, probably :)
i find pristine overkill for anything but mastering. I have default on "high", for track/submix use it's plenty.

I think pristine uses 3x as much cpu as high if i recall correctly - "good" doesn't really use much less so i kept it on high

I only really have Ozone Exciter and some other free or lowbudget ones. How well does Ozone compare to these? Getting to know saturation well is likely the next leap up I need to learn.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W11, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

mitchiemasha wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:22 am I only really have Ozone Exciter and some other free or lowbudget ones. How well does Ozone compare to these? Getting to know saturation well is likely the next leap up I need to learn.
Ozone Exciter is good enough tbh (imo)
I've never really had a good ear, like some people on here who can tell what a "good" compressor, or good saturator, but when I first tried Ozone's exciter, I was really impressed.
It was good enough to make me use on my master, which I never did before (I would only saturate pre-master busses)
Multiband with wet/dry for each band, and a delta function, so you can solo just the saturation!
That delta let's you find exactly the sound you are looking for, without having to just leave it to educated guesswork.
That said... I did recently pick up Saturn in a sale, and love how alive it sounds.

If I had to lose one of them (Ozone's exciter or Saturn 2), that would be a really tough decision for me. I don't know. I'm really enjoying Saturn at the moment, but I don't wanna lose the security of Ozone's last stage of saturation on my master, so maybe I would stick with that.

Ozone and Saturn together have pretty much forced Vertigo out the door for me (though that might be because Vertigo uses as much cpu as a multi module Ozone lol)

mitchiemasha wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:22 am I only really have Ozone Exciter and some other free or lowbudget ones. How well does Ozone compare to these? Getting to know saturation well is likely the next leap up I need to learn.
I love Ozone Exciter. Transient/Sustain Mode is often used in my drum buss. Besides that, I like Tupe, Little Radiator, NLS Channel, The Scream, UAD Studer.
You can get it pretty cheap except for Tupe, so give it a try.

al, audiorea, thank you for your thoughts. I've been on the fence on Saturn for along time, likely just stick with Ozone for now, there's still things I haven't tried yet, like Transient/Sustain mode
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W11, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

mitchiemasha wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:17 pm there's still things I haven't tried yet, like Transient/Sustain mode
haha, I literally just discovered this a couple of weeks ago myself. I make a lot of rumbling techno, and exciting the sustain of my kb bus is really giving me some nice character between the kb hits

Though I do wish I could adjust the transient / sustain crossover point, like I can with all the Melda multibands

_al_ wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:32 pm
Though I do wish I could adjust the transient / sustain crossover point, like I can with all the Melda multibands
I can imagine why this would be a good feature. There's always more!

True Iron is great before staring a mix to get a bit of flavour and bounce the tracks. The power of TI lies in it's simplicity (as opposed to Saturn). I really like Acustica plugins for their preamps too.

sebsteeno wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:37 am True Iron is great before staring a mix to get a bit of flavour and bounce the tracks. The power of TI lies in it's simplicity (as opposed to Saturn). I really like Acustica plugins for their preamps too.
Saturn 2 is super easy to use. Or as complex as you want. One of FFs best plugins without a doubt.

martiu wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:49 pm crush the smash knob
Ouch.... it was a little too painful for me. :o

The trick is to get your hand and any other dangling bits out of the way...

:)

Someone said above they lack the ears to hear subtle differences in things...that's me as well. Your bravery has led me to confess. I'd change it slightly to say that I do hear differences--but I lack the ability to know which is better :) Things like scrolling through guitar cab IRs....yep, all 100 of those sound different, but they all sound pretty good...which to use? :D

I have True Iron, and Ozone, and other things such as console emulations and tape plugins, not to mention the saturation you can get from some compressors. Now Logic has Chroma glow and I have others that came with Komplete. The one I use most, and not so much for just saturation, is Lindell 80. The preamp distortion adds something I like to the sound that can be subtle or extreme depending on how you dial it in.

Return to “Effects”