Studio One 6.5, Cubase 13, Fl Studio 21.3

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

osiris wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:12 pm I think it's pathetic that FL Studio is supposed to be first time user friendly, yet doesn't have anything like chord trigger or chord pad.
Not wanting to defend FLS here but I don´t think chord pads are anything crucial... especially not with the great amount of 100 times better working VST solutions out there...
Ableton´s new "Scale awareness" might be something interesting for the future... a very interesting idea and has the potential to take one of the most basic music rule a whole step further...
Just Piano Roll scripts written by other people which I'm terrified will contain malware and don't work half the time.
From what I tested the scripts are working great...

In regards of your malware claim: I don´t know if that´s even possible to integrate or even harm a machine by this...
You must be very paranoid to think this way...
What shall the users of Reaper all be fearing... half of their entire DAW is based on user made scripts... that´s actually a potential nuclear bomb they are sitting just half a meter away from...
Most of them have thousands over thousands of user scripts installed... 8)

Adrivenmind wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:41 am I have been using Cubase 11 and 12 Pro for quite a while now. Since 13 came out, I have seen many people complain about several issues with it, especially on PC. I'm still considering the update, and have played around with the trial version for a few days now. So far, I haven't found any severe issues with it, but maybe I'm missing something. My studio has a hybrid setup, and I mostly do mixing, with some rare recording sessions. I have never really used any of the stock Cubase plugins, yet, so I wonder if any of you think that some of the additions in 13 are "game changers"? I might as well pull the trigger on this one, since the update is not really expensive. I'm just not sure if I'd rather wait a little longer.
There's some very good stuff in C13 but not sure they're game changers, at least not for me. The vocal channel stuff is pretty damned good, and I don't even do much in the way of vocals, but if you do then that might possibly be a gamechanger? I've used it more on synth stuff that sits in the same spectrum as voices, e.g. 303 etc and all the vocal comps etc works wonders on it.

The side channel mixer thingy got me excited initially but they kinda screwed it up as it can't be made all visible (can't stretch it to see sends) which is a pretty huge fuckup imo. Great idea, horribly implemented.

Having said that, some other little extras that are great for me: mono <-> stereo switching of channels returned to being easy now with one switch. I'm doing a vocodery track right now and completely forgot C13 had a vocoder. I automatically loaded up MVocoder out of habit. TBH I doubt Cubase vocoder will be as good as MVocoder, but you never know. Very useful addition though.

Issues...the graphics bugs were horrendous, making it unusable but the fix does work (at least if you're using NVIDIA graphics) and it's rock solid for me now. It closes properly now, after all these years :roll: . The mixer GUI update is pretty shitty imo, looks less clear and more toylike. You now have to physically arm a channel to record/play it over hw. A small thing that threw me initially - on 10.5 it armed automatically when you click on a channel. Took me a few hours to figure out why my hw setup wasn't working in C13 :roll: . Overall I was more than usually excited by C13, but now I've got used to it...not as excited. Not a huge leap from 12 IMO. Hindsight - I didn't need to buy it, but cheap enough to not be a waste of money. :shrug:

kritikon wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:59 pm
Adrivenmind wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:41 am I have been using Cubase 11 and 12 Pro for quite a while now. Since 13 came out, I have seen many people complain about several issues with it, especially on PC. I'm still considering the update, and have played around with the trial version for a few days now. So far, I haven't found any severe issues with it, but maybe I'm missing something. My studio has a hybrid setup, and I mostly do mixing, with some rare recording sessions. I have never really used any of the stock Cubase plugins, yet, so I wonder if any of you think that some of the additions in 13 are "game changers"? I might as well pull the trigger on this one, since the update is not really expensive. I'm just not sure if I'd rather wait a little longer.
There's some very good stuff in C13 but not sure they're game changers, at least not for me. The vocal channel stuff is pretty damned good, and I don't even do much in the way of vocals, but if you do then that might possibly be a gamechanger? I've used it more on synth stuff that sits in the same spectrum as voices, e.g. 303 etc and all the vocal comps etc works wonders on it.

The side channel mixer thingy got me excited initially but they kinda screwed it up as it can't be made all visible (can't stretch it to see sends) which is a pretty huge fuckup imo. Great idea, horribly implemented.

Having said that, some other little extras that are great for me: mono <-> stereo switching of channels returned to being easy now with one switch. I'm doing a vocodery track right now and completely forgot C13 had a vocoder. I automatically loaded up MVocoder out of habit. TBH I doubt Cubase vocoder will be as good as MVocoder, but you never know. Very useful addition though.

Issues...the graphics bugs were horrendous, making it unusable but the fix does work (at least if you're using NVIDIA graphics) and it's rock solid for me now. It closes properly now, after all these years :roll: . The mixer GUI update is pretty shitty imo, looks less clear and more toylike. You now have to physically arm a channel to record/play it over hw. A small thing that threw me initially - on 10.5 it armed automatically when you click on a channel. Took me a few hours to figure out why my hw setup wasn't working in C13 :roll: . Overall I was more than usually excited by C13, but now I've got used to it...not as excited. Not a huge leap from 12 IMO. Hindsight - I didn't need to buy it, but cheap enough to not be a waste of money. :shrug:
Thanks a lot for the insight! A while ago I opened a Steinberg ticket regarding an issue I discovered when using a stereo external effect/hardware - apparently, one of the channels gets a delay of one sample when the signal gets fed back into the DAW, resulting in phase shift etc. They said they could actually reproduce it, but didn't know when they would fix it. It has been well over a year now, and I am kind of surprised they did not address it in C13. There are some hacks to deal with it, but it's not very elegant... Well, I guess no DAW is perfect. ;)

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:29 pm You've got a lot of time if you have time to use three DAWs, I hardly find time to use one. ;-D
90% of what you learn in Cubase or Studio One translates to the other one 1:1. There really isn't much of a learning curve with the other once you have learned one.

I avoid ecosystems like FL Studio, REAPER and MPC primarily to not have to ever interact with those user communities.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”