Embed all audio into project when saving

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Currently, unless there's another way, I am having to save a Project without the Audio folder or use the Export Consolidated Project option in the Project menu.

When using the Save As option, could we have the option to choose to save the audio in the Project/Audio folder please. Either call it 'Embed Audio' or 'Consolidate Audio' with a checkbox beside it to allow users the choice on saving whether to keep projects self contained. Also allow this to be saved as part of a Template.

I want to keep all data together rather than rely on folder structure, in case there's a reason I wish to change that in the future. Currently I have to Create a new project, Save it, then Export Consolidated Project, which is a pain, as when doing so, you have to navigate to where you want to store the consolidated project, even though I'm just saving it in the same place, MuLab's User Library folder.

Thanks.

Even doing the above, I am still having issues stopping MuLab using the original folder!!! Major pita!!!

sl23 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:24 am When using the Save As option, could we have the option to choose to save the audio in the
Project/Audio folder please. Either call it 'Embed Audio' or 'Consolidate Audio' with a checkbox beside it to allow users the choice on saving whether to keep projects self contained.
I want to keep all data together rather than rely on folder structure, in case there's a reason I wish to change that in the future.
This. I just tried to remaster an old song of mine. Alas, I had removed the sample library from my computer to save hard disk space, and the library itself was not available anymore from the web. I ended up skipping all those samples for the remastered song. With the checkbox, this would not have happened.

Since s123 also brought up templates: I am one of those who enjoy doing my own MUXes. I wonder what happens if I were to run my project on another computer: would my MUXes still appear, or is it the same as with the samples, that they are not copied to the project? I can understand if not, since if I make a change to the MUX globally, I might want to also have it updated in the song I work on, but still, it would be sad if they disappear from the song. This is especially true if I have saved them with, say, the MuLab 8 install and then delete the MuLab 8 folder as I turn to MuLab 9. I don't yet know what would happen in that case, but I hope there is a local copy of the MUX embedded in the project (?). After all, the extra space required must be minuscule.

Thanks!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Mux's get saved in a project, but samples do not, unless you Embed them into either the Project or the Mux.
I have started saving drum mux's and embedding every sample into it so as to not lose it's core functionality.
Projects should embed samples by default I believe, as it is all too easy to think you have saved all the samples but then forget something that may have come from some obscure location, which could be a pivotal part of a project.

Please Consolidate audio into Projects by default.

I wouldn't do it by default, but Bitwig and Live have an option to "collect and save" which means embed all audio into the project itself (or in a folder next to it). I'd still prefer global pointers to audio as that saves space (although I have 10tb of storage so... meh?).

Apples final cut had that issue where it cloned all the files so that it could do destructive editing instead of non-linear editing. Project files would literally become bigger than the cumulative source material and thus eat up much more storage.

TL;DR Add a button to "collect/embed and save" please :)
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Yeah, button is good! :)

Project menu -> Manage Audio/Sample Files

Eg: Used Samples = Embed All

Also see https://www.mutools.com/info/M9/docs/mu ... mples.html

Ah! You mean I've been doing it wrong all these years! No surprise there then! Lol

Return to “MUTOOLS”