Overclocking an 8770k + Asrock z370

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any advice? I'll try to provide all needed info here.

I'm trying to overclock my 8770K. MOBO is the Asrock z370 Killer SLI/AC. The BIOS has some kind of 'ez overclock' function with presets. I imagine this handles any required settings to run it at higher speeds right?

So I've selected 4.7ghz. I've read this is a safe enough speed with decent cooling.

But Win10 still only shows 4.3ghz in taskmanager. This speed does fluctuate a little.. I briefly saw it go up to 4.5 maybe but it always settles around 4.3

I can confirm that Windows is set for HighPerformance. BIOS seems to have Speedstep turned off. (this means dynamic CPU speed right?) Like I said, I still see the speed fluctuate a little. (not that much, but it's def not locked at 4.3)

This is not my image, but this shows the presets to 'load optimized OC settings' where I've selected the 4.7 option.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

One bump only.

You may have Speedstep or similar technology on the CPU, it might be disabled from BIOS. It was a culprit back in the days, also turbo might still be triggered.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Thanks for the input. Yes, I do have Speedstep turned off. This SHOULD be off for audio work right? My computer is close to flawless with audio so maybe I should just leave it alone.. but if I can squeeze a little more out of the clock, I'd want to give it a try.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”