What is the best way to learn sound design?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some of the old instrument manuals themselves were tutorials on the basics. The Casio CZ manual alone explained far more than any DAW manual now. There was a lot of great stuff in the Emu Emax II manual as well (onya Craig Anderton). It is sad that most devices now either don't have an RTFM at all or it is stupidly self-obvious eg The Filter Knob controls the Filter. Thanks ever so freakin much Capt Useless.

That said, most people won't spend 15-minutes to read or watch anything about the thing they claim to love, let alone invest an hour and $50 on a teacher (better to blow $200 on a VST they can't use). I know this because I have been offering training material for about 20 years now. People step over it, complain, then complain some more. Directly to my face even how it is too hard. Of course, it is hard if you don't commit. Just yesterday I had some toss tell me how my videos were too long, that was after asking for my help as an expert. He then proceeded to tell me all the technical things he did to fix his mix. In reality, the mix was worse as the Song was less evident - smooth & shiny yes, but the Story was gone. He finally told me that he liked his version, despite that the singer clearly didn't (as it was less useful in selling the Song than the singer's flawed mix). People who do, do. People who don't play games, esp the Excuses Game (fear).
:-)

Appreciate the detailed reply Benedict! I will be watching this later and taking notes. Cheers and happy holidays.

google....how to make a noise. great tutorial. Also once you get some basics down ....participate in the KVR OSC. One synth challenge. There are some real geniuses in there willing to share there time and experience.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Benedict wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:28 am mix was worse
...flawed mix
I have a lesson for you:
There are no rules.

Unless you want to make popular music and/or be a music industry puppet.

just do it!

Start with a simple subtractive synth, you can do a lot with envelopes and filters etc.
Use progressively more complex synths and try out all kinds of synthesis including modulars.
For tutorials I prefer youtube videos to reading as you can hear the synth and its less boring.

Return to “Sound Design”