Plugins major versions is different from different plugins, why?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a generic question, but i was asking myself why the 3th version of Zebra is under development while just one version of Diva is out?

I'm just curious to understand from devs, what are the things that make you decide what's make next, upgrades and that kind of stuff.

Thanks

Major version changes go hand in hand with a major rewrite of the plug-in. I can only speak for u-he though.

Urs wrote: ↑Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:41 pm Major version changes go hand in hand with a major rewrite of the plug-in. I can only speak for u-he though.
Thank you for your reply, i was very curious about your plugins, that's why i asked here, i see Diva was released on 2011 and Zebra on 2003. But Zebra got 2 major versions (and a 3th is coming) while Diva is still at the first.

This is not a critic, i'm just curious about the reason why some synths have more versions while others don't, if it's about how they sell, newer ideas you have, or anything else

Urs clearly would know better than me, but Diva is how many years old vs Zebra?
I think both Zebra and 2 are significantly older hence more likely?
Of course there being a Hive 2 ruins that theory :). (I think, emphasis on think, that after Hive was introduced it turned out that people had other interests in it rather than its original goal and Hive 2 was introduced to further that other interests that the majority of people who bought/used it to do.)
rsp
sound sculptist

Frankie.T wrote: ↑Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:19 pm But Zebra got 2 major versions (and a 3th is coming) while Diva is still at the first.
FWIW, V1 of Zebra was Mac only, and the cross-platform V2 was only 2 years later. No new major version since 2005.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

One very simple reason to do a major upgrade is dwindling sales or an otherwise underperforming software. One would evaluate if a change in feature set or direction might improve turn around. The upgrade of Hive from V1 to V2 has had exactly the effect we had hoped for: Hive 1 sales had dwindled to oblivion, but when we put in effect an upgrade strategy with a well thought out feature set, Hive 2 became a stable performer, outselling most products it used to lag behind.

Here's the thing though: By all metrics I can assess, Diva is a top performer. For example, with several of our resellers, Diva is one of the top selling instrument plug-ins. This morning, at Thomann for instance it is outselling even hardware:

https://www.thomann.de/intl/cat_rank.ht ... 14&gk=SWVI

(this list changes with fluctuations, e.g. sometimes something that is on a steep discount might outsell Diva for a month or two)

In our own store, each year we have sold more Divas than the year before. This is unlike any other product, with the exception of Satin maybe. Satin however, while becoming more and more of an industry standard, runs stable on a much smaller bracket of revenue than Diva.

Thank you very much for your reply, it's very appreciated!

Think you could upgrade Satin to do 64-bit processing all the way through?

Return to β€œu-he”