value hold or graduate return to default for X and Z axes on release

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My question: in terms of "hold" settings (eg latch, legato, etc) do any of them hold Y and Z values on release? Since I'm playing MPE there are different pressure and Y axis settings for each note, but there's a value jump back to defaults when I remove my hand with legato activated. I've been using Legato but could use anything that allows sustain with my hands off the Linnstrument.

I've been messing around with Linnstrument and ID700, which I've really been enjoying and working on a sort of droney piece, which is how I found this issue.

H Jonathan,

The last X and Y values of a touch are not reset upon release, so the last values continue after release. But Z (pressure) value are reset to zero upon finger release, and they gradually reduce to zero as you reduce finger pressure when releasing it.

There could be feature that holds your current pressure value when you press the sustain pedal, then quickly fades it to zero when you release the sustain pedal. I did some early experiments with this and found that it wasn’t so useful because the change from the natural pressure control of loudness to an artificial constant loudness level was very apparent and jarring. So it seemed to make more sense that the sustain pedal was more useful for piano-type sounds than pressure-based sounds. This is perhaps why there is no sustain pedal on a sax or violin. :)

If you’d like to experiment with this, someone on the forum might be interested in mocking up this feature in a MIDI script or Max or Bitwig’s Grid. The goal would be to block Channel Pressure messages while the sustain pedal is pressed, then send a Channel Pressure value of zero when it is released. This would allow you to learn how useful the feature would be to you.

Thanks as always Roger. That's a great idea. I can totally try setting that up in Bitwig. Let's see if I can get it working.

The other thing I guess is just to intentionally release much more slowly than I have been, which I guess would be in the spirit of the music I'm trying to play.

Just an update that with the help of others I’ve been messing around in the Bitwig Note Grid and have found several possible solutions. Still figuring out what I like.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”