Controlling MetaParameter 'Knobs' from Reason ... Whether thru CV Device Curves of Automation on track?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,

Having trouble with this tonight. Now that VST3's are supported, Ive been looking at the new Mulab plugin in earnest. :)

I want to use mulab in Reason 12 as a way to 'house' my midi generating plugins (like Riffer) and keep the routing of Riffer inside of Mulab.

So, I can do this easily enough. I then would like to control the cutoff for example of the synth inside mulab. Again, i can drag and drop the cutoff parameter of the synth onto the MP1 slot. So far so good.

From within Reason, I set up a Matrix device in 'curve' mode and draw a pattern for the cutoff frequency. I connect the 'curve out' out cable to the modulation CV 1 on the 'MuLab Rack device' (hidden under the optional inputs/outputs button on the reason MuLab Rack). I then choose MP 1 as the parameter to be controlled by CV input 1 and hit play. Everything plays, but there is no modulating of the MP 1 controls within MuLab.

I have tried creating a modulation lane in the Reason sequencer selecting MP 1 as the destination. no luck that way either....

I'm really scratching my head over this one. :) Any ideas on how to make this work?

Many thanks!!

Make sure you setup the meta-parameter in the modular area of the MuLab project's "Main Module".
More about the Main Module: https://www.mutools.com/info/M9/docs/mu ... oject.html
Does this answer your question?

mutools wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:50 am Make sure you setup the meta-parameter in the modular area of the MuLab project's "Main Module".
More about the Main Module: https://www.mutools.com/info/M9/docs/mu ... oject.html
Does this answer your question?
Thanks! I did read those bits the other night during my search and I am trying to do this inside the modular area.

I am able to assign cutoff (for example) to the MP1 knob. When I physically turn the MP1 knob (with the mouse), the cutoff frequency changes as one would expect. I just cant seem to get modulation data from the DAW track or a modulation data creating device to move that MP1 knob. I'm probably missing something very simple here.... but having a heck of a time figuring out what that might be. :)

Here's what a meta parameter looks like in Reaper:
MetaParametersInReaper.png
Hope that helps.

If you want the "Gain" or "MP2" etc meta parameter visible in Reaper's track parameter list, check the "Visible" checkbox against the parameter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks again!

Though I feel like i must be missing a really ez step here because I can’t get MP1 to follow automation in the DAW.

So, I assign a synth filter cutoff on MP1. In all my DAW’s (Reason, Studio One, Waveform 12) I can select MP1 as a parameter to automate. I draw automation in the daw and nothing happens.

Wouldn’t be shocked if it’s user error, but that’s how automation works for everything else’s I own. :).

My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

@dakkra right on. :) I haven't tried this yet but I see where I was trying to use the 'wrong MP1' for automation. I'm assuming similar (if not exact) steps for using 3rd party synths in Mulab?

The plan is to use Mulab as a 'midi chainer' device (among other things) for things like Orb producer suite, Instacomposer, etc since Reason doesnt allow sending midi data between tracks. My testing so far has been with 3rd party synths in Mulab.

Return to “MUTOOLS”