how geometric patterns relate to musical patterns

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was noodling around with Falcon presets on the Linnstrument today (I bought Falcon yesterday) and became a bit enthralled with geometric patterns on the default "tuned" Linnstrument. For example, going from one note to an octave higher by stepping up one and left one three times. I want to seeif any of the patterns I explore relate to modes or something.

I'm about to sleep and am mostly posting so I don't forget to look into this later. Does anyone else use geometric patterns for musical ideas?

I would say there's nothing wrong with exploring this idea, as long as your expectations are reasonable.

On an isomorphic layout like the LinnStrument, what you're likely to end up with is a host of Symmetrical Scales, which will equate to some pretty exotic modes. These modes may or may not be useful to you, depending on your general knowledge and proficiency as a musician, and what kind of music you aspire to perform. Ultimately, you'd still have to understand the theory behind each mode, if you're hoping to apply them within a greater musical context.

To that end, ALL scales, modes, and chords are comprised of geometric patterns. So, if this approach interests you, my best advice would be to study the geometric relationship between the root and each interval of the Major Scale (including accidentals), from a minor 2nd to a major 7th, and commit them to memory, either by name or number. Then learn how to build chords using those intervals.

Do that, and you’ll no longer need to think of it any other way. :tu:

Cheers!

I find the geometry of the tritone tuning the most inspiring…

mek42 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:19 am I'm about to sleep and am mostly posting so I don't forget to look into this later. Does anyone else use geometric patterns for musical ideas?
No, it is merely coincidental. I am more concerned about intervals than shapes, but I know of some advanced music theory resources that focus a lot on shapes for categorization of scales.
Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:54 am I find the geometry of the tritone tuning the most inspiring…
I do not find it inspiring at all, but the opposite: practical. It balances the ability to play chords and melodies, whereas I found using the strings 4th layout quite difficult for seventh chords and up.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”