Zebra 3 and Zebra Legacy

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Dark Zebra Zebra

nilhartman wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:03 pm Wouldn’t mapping a key follower to pan achieve similar results ? Never tested the option you refer to, so thinking out loud here.
Well, I would like to precisely set the panning per note. IMO this should be possible without workarounds. As a future standard, if not yet possible.

Some more thoughts about Zebra3. Now that the oscs are so precisely editable, I would like to suggest to bring more precision also to the routing matrix. The routing in Zebra2 is quite cumbersome and limited. I would imagine that you simply can draw the connections, as long it is allowed processing wise. Makes spreader and joiner modules obsolete, is visually way more readable and also a lot more easy to use. Imagine then each connection had its own volume level (0-200%), so you also could make parallel dry routes here. The current, very static, kinda imperative approach, having simple (even numeric) arrays feels very outdated to me. It should feel OO style 8) Yet the static raster could be somehow kept this way, only with the connections inbetween. You then could also "color" the signal flow from each OSC with a different color, resulting in a color mixture.

At least, the new OSCs look very precise and obvious, while the old routing matrix is not at all. It should fit together, feeling the same intuitive.

My biggest issue with the matrix in Zebra 2 is not being able to reset one slot or the whole matrix with 1 click. Sometimes I have 16 slots used and want to get rid of it all and it's super tedious.

Same with the arp/sequencer. Sometimes I want to get rid of a sequence and I have to do dozens of clicks. Ugh.

robisme wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:51 pm Will there be a possibility of navigate and tweak things with hardware controllers ? Not only to perform, but also to create patches. Like some kind of navigation betwen modules, then betwen knobs, enter menus and chose in the list, then tweak it, etc.
I've been wanting to do this for a softsynth for at least a year, I just haven't been able to choose which one-- and the other huge problem of course, is I don't know how you'd be able to have the controller communicate with the VST and the DAW themselves... Obviously as with most modern softsynths, the layout of any hardware controller would have to be different from the DAW... for example, in Zebra2, how would you edit harmonics or nodes in wavetables from a controller? You'd have to use something other than a mouse, but I don't think the synth is written to be able to do something like that (as far as I am aware). And why would it after all? :) it's a softsynth. Still, I can dream...
quod tu es, ego fui, quod ego sum, tu eris

I like sequencers with their own preset menu and a way to save sequences--and a ton of presets or a randomize function where range of parameter settings could be restricted would be nifty.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

CLAP Note Expressions are of course coming to Z3. We haven't done them for VST3 yet, not sure if that's easily doable or if it requires yet another large refactoring.

Sequencer presets are in Hive, so I assume we'll have a similar concept in Z3. Likewise, since Hive, ModMatrix Slots can be cleared with one click, so that'll come, too.

The Grid in Zebra is its original point. It is a perfect representation of how Zebra's super efficient audio path modularity works. We won't change that as that would make it a different synth.

We have had hidden options to fully control our software via MIDI (and/or keyboard), but the work to set up for each controller required is so humongous, we never brought it to the surface. It's been 10+ years since we did that, I have no idea what state this is in and I find recent developments (NKS, CLAP Quick Controls, MIDI 2.0) more promising.

(as for randomisers, we have recently fixed a few bugs in our preset scripting language, but we might have to document it a bit better for people to write good randomisers for sequences)

Urs wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:10 am We have had hidden options to fully control our software via MIDI (and/or keyboard), but the work to set up for each controller required is so humongous, we never brought it to the surface.
Yes, MIDI 2.0 and CLAP would be great. But I didn't mean a "direct" controller setup in the plugin, but instead another modulation source, like "CLAP note panning" or so...? Hope I did understand it correctly.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:33 am
Urs wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:10 am We have had hidden options to fully control our software via MIDI (and/or keyboard), but the work to set up for each controller required is so humongous, we never brought it to the surface.
Yes, MIDI 2.0 and CLAP would be great. But I didn't mean a "direct" controller setup in the plugin, but instead another modulation source, like "CLAP note panning" or so...? Hope I did understand it correctly.
My answer was a combo one for multiple questions, and the bit you quoted was in reply towards that of robisme.

Like the current CLAP version of Diva and FilterscapeVA, the CLAP version of Z3 will certainly support NoteExpressions for Panning (and Volume, Timbre, Pitch...). So you can pan individual notes if the host software supports this.

Does that answer your question?

Yes, thanks :)

Urs wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:10 am The Grid in Zebra is its original point. It is a perfect representation of how Zebra's super efficient audio path modularity works. We won't change that as that would make it a different synth.
All hail the mighty Zebra!

Any news about Zebra Legacy running native AAX on Apple Silicon (Pro Tools has been native for a while now)? thanks!

We are in the process of updating all plugins. Those updates include a lot more than just native Silicon AAX (there's CLAP support, Note Expression and MPE where possible, bug fixes, framework updates, etc.). We also encountered a rare issue with our new AAX versions in Pro Tools on Windows, which we could not solve yet. So there is no ETA for specific plugins, we have to deal with one plugin at a time.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

"Genopatch Technology, Genopatch crafts synth patches from audio recordings, using AI to find optimal synth settings based on your source sample."

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_Vayfow7 ... ture=share

It's really game changer, 2 FM OSC mimic everything and possibilities are endless.
Is it possible to bring such a feature with Zebra 3?

sonarkiss wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:30 am "Genopatch Technology, Genopatch crafts synth patches from audio recordings, using AI to find optimal synth settings based on your source sample."

It's really game changer, 2 FM OSC mimic everything and possibilities are endless.
if you want that just use synplant 2. i don't know why people expect every synth to be the same w/the same features. synplant 2 is a really specific kind of thing. i don't expect or want Zebra3 to be anything like that.

Urs has talked about various features and focus in this and other threads. if you go through bit by but and read his posts you can see where Zebra3 is headed.

dayjob wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:08 pm
sonarkiss wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:30 am "Genopatch Technology, Genopatch crafts synth patches from audio recordings, using AI to find optimal synth settings based on your source sample."

if you want that just use synplant 2. i don't know why people expect every synth to be the same w/the same features. synplant 2 is a really specific kind of thing. i don't expect or want Zebra3 to be anything like that.

Urs has talked about various features and focus in this and other threads. if you go through bit by but and read his posts you can see where Zebra3 is headed.
Synapse Audio also have added the new Genetics function to their synths.
The Genetics function creates new patches out of existing ones, a very useful tool to obtain sound variations or entirely new sounds.

It would be good feature to consider and It won't be in his way.

Return to “u-he”