Beginner set-up.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good afternoon, I have just started in this forum to learn about music production.My idea is mainly to do rap, sentimental and gradually move on to something more commercial.I want to show my home studio to record my own songs, I've been reading a lot, but I'm overwhelmed with so much information.I've been looking at several DAW and it seems that I will start with a classic as is the FL STUDIO, currently my pc as I have a MacBook Air with M2 chip. I have decided this daw because it seems that there are many courses to learn how to get started.my main idea is to buy products for beginners, which are more or less cheap, unless you recommend me something else.the only thing I am hesitating is to buy a good microphone and I explain why: I want to take very seriously the issue of composing songs, I am currently practicing singing lessons and I thought that with a good microphone I can always pass the audio to a more experienced producer, especially at the beginning to start to manage and learn little by little. For everything else, I would like to hear your opinions and your advice, I hope you can help me and above all, I hope that in a few months I can help other people, a big hug and thank you very much.

I'm pretty much moved to Logic. Macbooks are very performant and stable for music production.
FL Studio is a lifetime license, if you buy it on the same week of your "birthday date" you also have 33% discount.
Logic costs $200 which is also sort of lifetime license, however this is not guarantied like in FL studio.
Both have most of the plugins you'll need for mixing, at least for the beginning.

You'll also need:
audio interface starts from $200
xlrm to xlrf cable
mic

monitors + 2 cables + stands?
or/and headphones

FL Studio is certainly not needed to do 'wRap'... Probably should save $ & used LMMS FIRST as it's free... Mostly I talk about 'actually learning music' as it really matters not the package. Hans Zimmer in Impulse Tracker would kick ass on most anyone using present FL, Ableton, Cubase, etc... But in the case of 'wRap' it's a non-music music... The more irritating the sound the more likely it will be promoted...

I tried LMMS and would not recommend it as a starter DAW. Most of the interfaces come with Lite versions of DAWs including Ableton Lite and Studio One. Studio One especially is extremely beginner friendly. I'm on Reaper now but I don't know that it's a good beginner DAW.

Yeah, LMMS not my favorite either but some like it & listening to quite a few tunes people are doing in it over at the site there's some impressive stuff there... So it IS capable...

Since you're on Mac, why not start with Garage Band?

Actually FL Studio dropped the birthday discount last year, but it`s probably the best DAW for starters. I used Reason, Ableton, Cubase in the meantime but for my personal preferences FL Studio is the DAW. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I started producing for the first in Fruity Loops, back in 2008 and you never forget the first, IYKWIM.

Adeschamps wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:30 pm I would like to hear your opinions and your advice, I hope you can help me.
I hope you get a notification now, some decent advice is given.
Don't be a stranger!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”