De-Hardtailing a Hard-tailed Strat

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know it is a question of loosening the screws in the back, but my question is: once the bridge raises a bit off the body, will the intonation need to re-set?

Thanks.

PS, my luthier friend hardtailed it when he did the setup about 9 years ago. Now I wanna wammy. :hyper:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I dunno what you're scared of. I readjust the intonation whenever switching to another type of strings. Not easy on my Floyd Rose system, with the hex screws right beneath the strings. But still, it's worth doing.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Just a question of actually finding the little hex wrench before I start.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Before you do intonation setup floating maybe like this
https://youtu.be/7luUzgDwwcs

It's enough for that movement to ruin intonation as well as action height.
Personally I don't use method for action like in video, but feeler gauge adding blades to the action I have that works, and then get the same after floating is in place.

I also found that new springs stretch over time a bit, and claw needs readjustment after a year or so.

A good way to adjust claw on both treble and bass side is to also have a feeler guage and found one gauge that just about enters between spring spiral on one side, then adjust bass side to give same distance. That is optimum.

Thanks!
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I read the title and thought you we going to take a router to a strat.

I assume you always had the option to bend down with the bar but couldn't pull up?

No, it won't go in either direction because the bridge is flush against the body. That is what I am changing, simply by releasing the tension of the springs in back. Which will raise the bridge slightly off the guitar, hence my question about intonation.
I find doing the adjustments on Fender saddles fiddly, and I am not sure where the correct hex wrench is right now.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Negoba wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:39 pm I read the title and thought you we going to take a router to a strat.

I assume you always had the option to bend down with the bar but couldn't pull up?
I thought the same, deck it, more stability.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:09 pm
I find doing the adjustments on Fender saddles fiddly, and I am not sure where the correct hex wrench is right now.

I bought one of these a few years back - marvellous!

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-B ... l-Red/20J9

If I needed it, looks good. I have a couple of those Fender Allen keys. Just have to find them. They're likely amongst my other guitar Allen keys.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Guitars”