New Souncard

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am going to get back into making some music again, are Sound Blasters still the best souncard around?

Dan Island wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:50 pm I am going to get back into making some music again, are Sound Blasters still the best souncard around?
Not anymore for like 20 years.

Sheesh, things change so quickly these days!!

Back then it was the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 that shook up the world. Believe it or not, M-Audio got bought up by Avid, owners of ProTools.

I had two soundblasters installed to do 4-track recording. It worked fine (after solving some IRQ & DMA conflicts)

Onboard sound these days is nearly as good as that, except that you'd be lucky if it has a stereo line input.

Anyway, to get an answer to your question, answer this first:
What are your requirements regarding inputs & outputs? What's the budget?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Thanks mate, it was a kinda joke post, being a wee bit ironic, just ordered a Scarlett 4i4 (gen3) to replace my 9 year old under utilised Akai EIE Pro. \i think I had the 2496 too back in the day, after my soundblaster. Wasted a lot of money on gear to produce nothing lol.

I hope I am more productive with the new one.

3rd gen 4i4 (B-stock even) is exactly what's on my desk since some weeks. I had been without a proper interface for some years. With no hope that desktop XP machine with PCI card (ESI/Audiotrak Maya1010) is going to boot up any more, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Are you on windows? I'm using a MacBook. Let us know what you think about the 4i4...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I had to turn the gain way up when I tried singing with the Akai so I bought a new mic..Rode NT1A, and still was the same, watching YT vids about the Rode indicated I should not need my gain almost full so I got a new interface....lets see how that goes.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”