Old projects M7 with the new M9

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I still work with MuLab 7. While testing the demo of MuLab 9, I have a message that my M7 projects are not compatible with MuLab 9 and that I should have upgraded to M8 first :scared:
I am considering buying the MuLab 9 App license as I really like the improvements since M7. So I have to keep Mulab 7 to work on my old projects?
Thanks

When you have your personal MuLab 9 user key, feel free to request your personal MuLab 8 user key so to be able to upgrade your projects using MuLab 8. Send request to Image

Thank you Jo !
I will do so, thank you and you have my gratitude for the work you have done to release M9, the best DAW available today. Respect. :tu:

While discussing updating old projects, is there a batch update and if so what is the correct process.
I have attempted to update v7 projects to V8 in batches, but Mulab 8 doesn't seem to due anything, it seams to "stall".
I can update individual projects, but I'd like to just get them all updated so I can use them in what ever the latest MuLab version is,,, and if possible, updating in the back ground (probably a big ask...
More than likely I'm doing something wrong and thinking about it, would having plugins updated, newer versions upset the update process?

MuLab menu -> Tools -> Upgrade Projects.
There you can select a folder and all projects in that folder will be loaded + resaved.
If there are no issues at all during loading the projects this whole operation can run in the background.
But if there are issues like unfound audio files, missing VST plugins etc, there alerts will pop up just like when you would open the project via "Open Project".

Also note the MuLab menu -> Tools -> List MuTools Files Versions function that can help in determining which files should be upgraded.

This is sort of a back burner request. I have a number of v7 projects that I need to update. However, they often call for plugins no longer installed or available. It would be nice if there was a placeholder like in Logic. The missing plugin name is dimmed and has a slash through it. At least I'd know where the plugin was and what type of plugin I'll need to replace it.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Yes that's on the wishlist.

I also have a question regarding project updates.

I have one old project that has been updated over the years, and is only a simple two part 4 bar loop. Yet every time it's opened it goes through a long list of missing ogg samples, I have never used ogg format for anything, so I can't understand how this has happened. How would I get rid of this problem?

Delete unused samples and save the project.

"Delete unused samples" can be done via several ways:

* Project menu -> Manage Audio/Sample Files.
* Project menu -> Delete unused objects.
* Browser: What = Samples, Where = This Project then options menu -> Delete Unuseds.

Ah OK thank you, I'll try that out :tu:

mutools wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:19 am Yes that's on the wishlist.
Thanks, Jo.

Also, sorry the wishlist has extended development into about 2042. :wink:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

mutools wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:17 am Delete unused samples and save the project.

"Delete unused samples" can be done via several ways:

* Project menu -> Manage Audio/Sample Files. This didn't work.
* Project menu -> Delete unused objects. So I tried this and it solved the issue, thanks.
* Browser: What = Samples, Where = This Project then options menu -> Delete Unuseds.

Hi there,
Are updates of M9 still unable to read M7 files? M9 is nice, but I have many many M7 projects and the idea of having to convert them via M8 seems bothersome. Installing two new versions of MuLab just to keep your project library... Cakewalk by Bandlab still can open my 30 yr old *.wrk-files! :)

martijnvdb wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:40 am Are updates of M9 still unable to read M7 files?
Yes, and that won't change. But read on.
I have many many M7 projects and the idea of having to convert them via M8 seems bothersome.
Why?

MuLab 8 has built in functions to make it a user friendly upgrade process:
https://www.mutools.com/info/M9/docs/mu ... jects.html

If you have any questions about it, just ask.
Installing two new versions of MuLab just to keep your project library
MuLab is very easy and lightweight to install: It's just a self-contained folder.
So it's also very easy to delete M8 afterwards.

Conclusion: This is the way:

1) Install MuLab 8
2) Use the MuLab menu -> Tools -> List MuTools Files Version to have a clear view on all your M7 files.
3) Make a backup of them
4) Use MuLab menu -> Tools -> Upgrade Projects to upgrade them all.

Done. You can uninstall MuLab 8.

Thanks for the swift and clear answer; looks very user friendly indeed. I will purchase a M9 key next weekend and follow the steps.

For the record, Mulab has been my DAW of choice for many years, no Cakewalk advertisement intended. The only reason I used it in the mid 90s is because it came free with my Soundblaster :-D

Return to “MUTOOLS”