Having trouble getting AMR5 to play an octave on the open 5th string and the 7th fret 4th string

Official support for: amplesound.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AMR III

I've searched this forum to no avail, I mustn't have the right keywords if this issue has been discussed before.

This is what I'm trying to achieve: Image

The things I've tried in my DAW are setting the force capo at the 7th fret, setting the string to both the 5th and 4th, just the 4th, and setting the force capo at the 7th fret while setting the string to the 5th.

I can't really think of anything else to do.
I just want the fatter sound of the 7th fret octave over the 2nd fret 3rd string.

I'm going to be seriously disappointed if I have to set up two separate instances of AMR5 just to have one play one string and the other play the octave.

Have you tried the "Open String First" setting? If I turn this on, then set the fret to 7, it does what I think you want. It's the top right button in the set of four on the right of the main panel.

You are an absolute genius.

I don't even know why that works but switching on Open Strings First then Capo Forcing it around the 7th fret does the trick.

You'd think it would just do that regardless if Open Strings was on or off.

Thank you so much, you saved my ass.

The way I think it works is this: if you set the fret, it'll try to find the note you want to play within that fret region. If the note simply isn't available (too high, or too low) it will change the fret point to the nearest one that has that note. So, when you try to play that deep B it's changing the fret back to 0 as that's the only fret point which has that note available.

When you have 'open string first' set, it will always use an open string if that matches one of the note you're playing, without changing the fret for any other notes, which is exactly what you wanted here as it avoids it having to change the fret point to play that low note.

A less elegant, more brute force way is to play the high note slightly later than the low note (very slight - they'll still sound simultaneous). Just before the high note, use the Strman4 keyswitch to force the use of the 4th string.

A different approach is to enable MIDI guitar. That way each string has it's own MIDI channel and can be programmed independently from the other strings.

Return to “Ample Sound”