Speedrum v1.3.1 Bug?

Official support for: apisoniclabs.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

On Linux, ( purchased speedrum around beginning of 2022 ). latest version on reaper 6.66. So i decided to populate all "10 slots" with my choice of folders. Later tried to open an instance of speedrum and reaper crashes. Resetting speedrum by deleting settings file and all works again. Populating slots again with different folders results in reaper crashing. Can anyone else confirm this on linux running reaper and speedrum?

I can't reproduce it on Mint and Arch. Can you provide more information: which version of linux, is Speedrum vst2 or vst3, are these regular folders or symbolic links or similar... does this occur only when reloading the plugin or also when reopening the gui?

Hi apisonic,
linux version = MX-21 Wildflower KDE
Speedrum = vst2
regular folders or symbolic links or similar = Regular folders
reloading the plugin or reopening the gui = Reloading the plugin

So i went back and replaced Speedrum vst2 with vst3 version. Fired up reaper, instantiated speedrum, quit and repeat cycle several times and not once did reaper misbehave.
So it seems vst2 version has gremlins ; )

chibchan wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:46 am On Linux, ( purchased speedrum around beginning of 2022 ). latest version on reaper 6.66. So i decided to populate all "10 slots" with my choice of folders. Later tried to open an instance of speedrum and reaper crashes. Resetting speedrum by deleting settings file and all works again. Populating slots again with different folders results in reaper crashing. Can anyone else confirm this on linux running reaper and speedrum?
I'd also add:

Run Reaper from the terminal, by changing the directory to the operating directory and typing ./reaper Try Speedrum again and tell us the error. If the message is something along the lines of the application being "Killed" I may know the problem.....and the solution.

You may be needing to lock your memory to prevent the OOM Killer from killing your app. But first check and see what the terminal says when you run from the terminal.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

if the "OOM Killer" is the culprit, wouldn't also affect the vst3 as well ? Since replacing vst2 with vst3 the problem no longer exist.
But... in the spirit of tinkering :hihi: :hyper: , I'll give it go and report back.

So i gave it a go with the vst2 plugin of speedrum and got "Segmentation fault".

chibchan wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:07 pm if the "OOM Killer" is the culprit, wouldn't also affect the vst3 as well ? Since replacing vst2 with vst3 the problem no longer exist.
But... in the spirit of tinkering :hihi: :hyper: , I'll give it go and report back.
I honestly don’t know what the usage is between types. It just think your description of your experience is similar to the experience I just had. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

chibchan wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:17 pm So i gave it a go with the vst2 plugin of speedrum and got "Segmentation fault".
Essentially this:

What Is Segmentation Fault? In a nutshell, segmentation fault refers to errors due to a process's attempts to access memory regions that it shouldn't. When the kernel detects odd memory access behaviors, it terminates the process issuing a segmentation violation signal (SIGSEGV).

It’s not exactly what I would expect, but is similar:

https://www.baeldung.com/linux/what-killed-a-process

Do you use pipewire? Do you have the following limits set? If you use pipewire, the following should help if it is the OOM Killer affecting your DAW:

Real-time priority limits are usually stored in /etc/security/limits.conf and /etc/security/limits.d/. The best option is to add a new file 95-pipewire.conf in /etc/security/limits.d/ with this content:

# Default limits for users of pipewire
@pipewire - rtprio 95
@pipewire - nice -19
@pipewire - memlock 4194304

Then add your user to the PipeWire group so that you can use these priorities.

If you aren’t using pipewire, you could try the following mint based instructions:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=302345

The key part for OOM killer problems is setting your memlock in the limits section. If it turns out that your memlock is set and you’ve rebooted, then “maybe” it could be something wrong with your plugin.

No pipewire here just good old jackd2. Realtime optimized using 'real time config quickscan'. My system is rock solid sometimes going through sessions without xruns. Only other time I had a vst2 problem in reaper was with latest version of tal-noisemaker. Going with vst3 version of that plugin solved that issue.
my audio.conf settings:

@audio - rtprio 95
@audio - memlock unlimited
#@audio - nice -19

So, in conclusion, going with vst3 plugin of speedrum solved my particular issue.

Thank you audiojunkie for the tip. :tu:

chibchan wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:43 pm No pipewire here just good old jackd2. Realtime optimized using 'real time config quickscan'. My system is rock solid sometimes going through sessions without xruns. Only other time I had a vst2 problem in reaper was with latest version of tal-noisemaker. Going with vst3 version of that plugin solved that issue.
my audio.conf settings:

@audio - rtprio 95
@audio - memlock unlimited
#@audio - nice -19

So, in conclusion, going with vst3 plugin of speedrum solved my particular issue.

Thank you audiojunkie for the tip. :tu:
It doesn't sound like the issue is truly resolved, but that you are satisfied with the workaround of using VST3. It's too bad that you couldn't get the VST2 working properly. Did you try uninstalling/reinstalling the VST2 plugin to see if it is just corrupt?

Plugins are not corrupt. Verified early in process of elimination.
I did however bootup a live copy of AV Linux MX-21 “Consciousness” and started experimenting and discovered 2 things:

Launch reaper and instantiate speedrum on track 1
assign the 10 slots with your favorite folders.
close plugin, quit reaper.
again , launch reaper and instantiate speedrum on track 1. the plugin gui will pop-up windowed. See image.
If it doesn't crash reaper, floating the plugin will by double clicking it where arrow points ( See Image). https://drive.google.com/file/d/1atrVd8 ... sp=sharing

To summarize 1st discovery: speedrum (and its 10 slots filled with favorite folders) vst2 crashes reaper when floating it (double clicking to detach from reaper FX window).

2nd Discovery: call up speedrum vst2 on track 1 and before instantiating it, right click and select "Run as separate process" and no more crashes.

vst3 version of speedrum does not exhibit any of the issues mentioned.

Interesting! So running it as a separate process lets the VST2 plugin continue to work, and you have your memlock settings configured. Maybe it’s a bug after all?

Return to “Apisonic Labs”