Are these power chords ?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm starting to learn the keyboard and music theory but I'm struggling a little bit and wonder if anyone can advise, I've been playing the following chord sequence:

F3, F4, C5
D4, D5, F5
C4, C5, E5
F3, F4, A4

I've got no idea on the theory behind this but that sequence just sounds nice to me, and I thought it would be a good to try and learn why I like it, but after some research I can't seem to find out what key it's in or why it works.

From playing the guitar I think these must be power chords due to each chord only having two notes but I'm not sure, can anyone help me identify what key this is in please ? or how you would go about finding that out.

Thanks and any help is much appreciated

Hi,

power chords (as I know them in a guitar rock etc. context) are just root + (pure) fifth (= seven semitones above root) .
So in the first chord we have F4, seven semitones up lands on C5 (F#/Gb, G, G#/Ab, A, A#/Bb ,B, C). So the first chord could be called powerchord with an octaved down doubled root (F3).

The other chords however contain a third:
D5, F5 = minor third
C5, E5 = major third
F4, A4 = major third

so I wouldn't call these powerchords.

Key I'll leave to someone else to answer. :)

Indeed, only the first has no (major/minor) third interval, so that leaves only the first chord being a power chord (only root + 5th)

Key? Starts with and ends with F. Not that that is the rule of thumb, but I just feel that's where 'home' is.

Why it works?

Code: Select all

| F  Dm | C  F |
In roman numeral notation it's I vi V I. Not too complex, resolves rather nicely. Jancivil could probably give you a lecture on the why but that would totally go over your and my head, using terms that to us have no meaning.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Power chords do not exist. "Power" intervals do, sort off. Actually, no, they don't exist either.
I like to build music theory tools: https://www.music-chords.com/

Vurniks wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:40 pm Power chords do not exist.
Really? Do a reality check:
wikipedia wrote: Power chord
Not to be confused with Power cord.
:lol:

But I see at what side you are:
wikipedia wrote: Terminology
Theorists are divided on whether a power chord can be considered a chord in the traditional sense, with some requiring a 'chord' to contain a minimum of three degrees of the scale. When the same interval is found in traditional and classical music, it would not usually be called a "chord", and may be considered a dyad (separated by an interval). However, the term is accepted as a pop and rock music term, most strongly associated with the overdriven electric guitar styles of hard rock, heavy metal, punk rock, and similar genres. The use of the term "power chord" has, to some extent, spilled over into the vocabulary of other instrumentalists, such as keyboard and synthesizer players.
Power chords are most commonly notated 5 or (no 3). For example, "C5" or "C(no 3)" refer to playing the root (C) and fifth (G). These can be inverted, so that the G is played below the C (making an interval of a fourth). They can also be played with octave doublings of the root or fifth note, which makes a sound that is subjectively higher pitched with less power in the low frequencies, but still retains the character of a power chord.
Another notation is ind, designating the chord as 'indeterminate'. This refers to the fact that a power chord is neither major nor minor, as there is no third present. This gives the power chord a chameleon-like property; if played where a major chord might be expected, it can sound like a major chord, but when played where a minor chord might be expected, it sounds minor.
If the OP had just checked this, the answer is right there.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

2nowman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:19 pm F3, F4, C5
D4, D5, F5
C4, C5, E5
F3, F4, A4
Note that these all have the bass note doubled one octave down, so you can ignore the first note and look at these as pairs of notes. Technically these are intervals rather than chords because traditionally chords have three or more distinct notes, but we don't have be too pedantic about it. So:

F4, C5 - This interval is fifth so yes, it's a powerchord. The melody may or may not imply a major or minor quality.
D5, F5 - This is a minor third which suggests a D minor chord but it depends on context so not necessarily.
C5, E5 - This is a major third so it (possibly) suggests a C major chord.
F4, A4 - This is also a major third so it suggests an F major chord (again, depending on context).

Return to “Music Theory”