Some suggestions, enhancements for Acoustica

Official support for: acondigital.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!
david_macrae wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:14 am I recently purchased Acoustica Premium and it has really helped improve and speed up my workflow. I edit and master long form audio for audiobooks and I also mix ADR.
Thanks, glad to hear that!
david_macrae wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:14 am Something I would like to see to improve it even more is to have 2 things in the analysis show statistcs: 1, a maximum trough value to show the lowest value in DB mainly to quickly find audio drop outs and 2 to show an RMS trough or noise floor.
I'm not sure if I understood that correctly, but would a new entry called "Minimum short-term RMS level" be sufficient? It's not clear to me what the difference between 1 and 2 would be?

Best,
Stian

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
low or minimum short term rms is perfect for the second one.

I always ask for 3-5 seconds of room tone at the begining of takes from talent. Basically rms trough or low should match that value pretty closely. But sometimes i might get a section of audio that has been changed with noise reduction or talent raises mic volume or something and that value might change a little. I a long take like a full chapter of audio it is just a quick check at the end to make sure everything has remained pretty close.

The first on is simply the lowest point in the track or selection. if the lowest opint is for example -81 db or if there is a drop out with no sound at all it would read -inf. It also is a quick check to make sure that any cuts in the audio are butted up against each other or filled with room tone.

The tool I usually use is called SOX I run a command line sox -stats. here is what the command does:

http://sox.sourceforge.net/sox.pdf (http://sox.sourceforge.net/sox.pdf)

but with your statistics it is very convient to get most of the same results without have to run a command line tool.

gomac wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:00 pm Hi,

What I miss most from Audition is the ability to select a section of audio and adjust the volume of the section with a mouse click, and see the waveform go up and down.

I do some recordings and like to have about the same amount of volume in different sections without using a compressor, so I select zones and push them up or down,but in Acoustica it's a pain, need to go in the menu, vhoose the Volume effect, select the amount in dB, apply, ah damn that's to much, undo, apply a litte less , ah damn too little etc...

So it makes the process much longer than it should...

Apart from that thanks for this awesome software, nice upgrade from my 2000 CoolEdit license !
A big +1 to this!

Also migrating from Audition. Acoustica is extremely good as it is, but there's a few workflow features I'd love to see that would make a big difference in practice.

1. One click volume change (as requested above).

2. One mouse click fade in/out in main window.

3. Remembering where a file came from. If I drag and drop a file from a particular location from Windows File Explorer, Acoustica doesn't remember where it was, instead always saving to the same generic last-used location.

4. Plugin Manager improvements. A favourites system of some kind would be ideal, otherwise a way to permanently hide some plugins.

5. Icons for jump to selection start, selection end. A loop audition button would be great, to play the last second or two before and after a loop.

6. [EDIT - forgot this one!] Eucon support.

But to reiterate, it's a terrific app already. Looking forward to seeing it go from strength to strength.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

A dedicated Acon Digital soft/hard clipper plugin would be nice, it could be part of the Mastering Suite too. Nothing too fancy, input, output, clipping curve shape and maybe ceiling.

I've also noticed removing and adding plugins sometimes introduces glitches into the effect chain e.g. mutes or solos some plugins, so that might be something to iron out.

crickey13 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:24 am A dedicated Acon Digital soft/hard clipper plugin would be nice, it could be part of the Mastering Suite too. Nothing too fancy, input, output, clipping curve shape and maybe ceiling.
Yes, some kind of saturation / non-linearity tool would be nice. I've added the request to our tracking system.
crickey13 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:24 amI've also noticed removing and adding plugins sometimes introduces glitches into the effect chain e.g. mutes or solos some plugins, so that might be something to iron out.
Yes, we're aware of the issue and it should be ironed out in the upcoming version 7.4.

Best,
Stian

noiseboyuk wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:11 pm Also migrating from Audition. Acoustica is extremely good as it is, but there's a few workflow features I'd love to see that would make a big difference in practice.

1. One click volume change (as requested above).

2. One mouse click fade in/out in main window.

3. Remembering where a file came from. If I drag and drop a file from a particular location from Windows File Explorer, Acoustica doesn't remember where it was, instead always saving to the same generic last-used location.

4. Plugin Manager improvements. A favourites system of some kind would be ideal, otherwise a way to permanently hide some plugins.

5. Icons for jump to selection start, selection end. A loop audition button would be great, to play the last second or two before and after a loop.

6. [EDIT - forgot this one!] Eucon support.

But to reiterate, it's a terrific app already. Looking forward to seeing it go from strength to strength.
Thanks for all of these. Item 3 was addressed in the upcoming 7.4 release where a tooltip with the full path appears when hovering over the file tab. The others are still on the to-do list, I'm afraid.

Best,
Stian

Return to “Acon Digital”