Is it worth investing money into Reaktor 6 anymore?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:31 pm NO it's not dead , I can still build whatever I want .
Allegedly, you can have sex with dead person so that's a weak argument ;) :P
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:17 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:31 pm NO it's not dead , I can still build whatever I want .
thats a weird analogy to jump for :o

reaktor may appear dead on the outside, but thanks to the many folk like gcd, the ul is updated often with new content.
it doesnt really "need" any major point update, for the sake of it, it has more than enough going on to keep people busy for a long while i imagine. if you can think of anything "missing" from it, im sure ni would love to know, and if they agree its a good feature to add, im sure they would.
(dont ask for vst as modules :hihi: )

Reaktor for me as a midi guitar dev misses module synchronization
It was so bloody agonising to keep track of 6 different strings
if a module can be paired/shared so that it is ganged to another(in this instance 6 lines of same modules) it would make it easier to dev midi guitar

-that is my major request, but I like it- it's pretty damn cool

Flowstone has this- now I hear MAX/msp also

It's damn curious environment, with Core and UI stuff
as far as VST- there are licensing procedures for Reaktor Player

haha- man that's a strange analogy indeed, couldn't bend it to my whimsy either
Last edited by nix808 on Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nix808 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:22 pm as far as VST- there are licensing procedures for Reaktor Player
if that was to my comment about vsts, i meant as a module inside reaktor, like vcv has for example, where you can incorporate eg omnisphere, if you want, in to your patch.

oh ok Vurt, I understand now,
being a VST itself, it is reasonably compatible with modular environments
u could make functions and route them if u really wanted, but maybe something like 4 instances of complex processing is more reasonable

--as far as synchronisation, there is also the feature possibility of stream packing, which MAX has brought to mind. SSE(which is also called SIMD, same instruction multiple data), which is a processor instruction is vastly possible on WIN, don't know about Mac

Definitely not dead just the dev team is a small team.
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

for me the only reason to invest in reaktor would be if you enjoy more the sound of it or want to create your own ensembles/racks and need some of these modules, but it s not like it s lot of money so.. personally i don t have the motivation and time to go deep in many softwares or i won t make any music so i won t invest in both for sure, vcv seems a lot more tempting for buying stuff

Don't forget the original factory libraries too. I still use a lot of those ancient grooveboxes and sequencers. I was never keen on the front patching, it dosen't have the same flow as VCV.

vurt wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:16 pm
antic604 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:17 pm
thats a weird analogy to jump for :o

reaktor may appear dead on the outside, but thanks to the many folk like gcd, the ul is updated often with new content.
it doesnt really "need" any major point update, for the sake of it, it has more than enough going on to keep people busy for a long while i imagine. if you can think of anything "missing" from it, im sure ni would love to know, and if they agree its a good feature to add, im sure they would.
(dont ask for vst as modules :hihi: )
Certainly not for the sake of it. I understand that antic604 has only recently started to explore digital audio but if he were to start using Reaktor and get deep into it, he likely wouldn't notice time passing - maybe even in a general sense.

Reaktor could use some additions though:
  • Easy up and down sampling: Switchable in a manner similar to 64 bit processing in core.
  • Convolution module/s at the primary level.
  • Similar to above: FIR implementation at primary level.
  • ZDFs at primary level - presuming the implementation would be more CPU efficient.
  • More efficient core processing.
  • Some kind of construction kit for modelling electronic circuits.
  • FFT based processing modules at primary level.
  • Signal latency reporting to host.
  • Abstraction methods for more efficient programming - e.g. reading of modules from file location.
  • Scroll wheel for buss menu lists in core.
  • Scripting for quicker editing.

The technical problem with Reaktor is that it uses MIMD 'MMX' instructions, which was great for single-threaded processors, but performance doesn't scale with additional cores, and CPU clock speeds are reaching some intrinsic physical barriers.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”