Possible to have snapshots of individual plugins?

Official support for: newsonicarts.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it or could it (feature req) be possible to have snapshots of an individual plugin and have them be recallable via program change? For example, Valhalla plugins don't have program change functionality, but I would like the ability to send it a Program Change command to switch its parameter set.
Thanks.

Do you mean per plugin inside Freestyle as opposed to the whole instance? I mean if you are using the plugin fx version of Freestyle in your DAW, and you have a valhalla plugin loaded in it, you just need to assign it's parameters to macros and then create snapshots with those macros in different positions and it works fine.
edit: Actually don't need to assign macros, snapshots works on all parameters of a plugin.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Sun May 24, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to and demoing freestyle so perhaps I've overlooked some functionality. Yes, per plugin rather than the whole instance. Yes I'm using the fx version of Freestyle in a daw.

It appears that freestyle has only 8 macros? For most valhallas, that would probably work out as there are not many parameters that would need to be changed, but for other plugins with more relevant parameters needed to modify it may be too limiting.

So you're saying that the macros themselves have their own snapshots? I didn't see that yet. Or if not, perhaps you're saying to use the global snapshots after setting up the macros? I did test using the global snapshots and they do give the general Program Change behavior I'm interested in, even without attaching the macros. But being global, this would seem to not be a good approach when multiple effects are used in one instance of freestyle. For example, I just want to change reverb programs but it seems that having to use a global snapshot triggers a complete reload of all other effects too, and reduces flexibility for spontaneous effect changes in a live performance situation.

You can add more pages of macros so you're not just limited to the 8. But yeah you need to assign macros to plugin parameters in order for the snapshots to have an effect on the plugins. And from what I understand it is meant as a global snapshot of all parameters within the freestyle instance. Since you are using freestyle in your daw though, you can just load one valhalla plugin per freestyle instance and then load as many freestyle plugins as you want.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Sun May 24, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks again, I missed that Edit icon, now I see its possible to add many "pages" of macros and the customization of each macro.
Maybe this is a new feature, but fortunately Freestyle is saving the current state of the plugin to a snapshot without me needing to do anything with the macros.

Thanks yes, I see now that separate instances with a single plugin in each is the work around for using multiple Program change deprived plugins situation. Unfortunately one loses whatever advantages there are to be had when integrating several plugins in one instance. I wonder what the developer's thoughts are on this.

ericzang wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:10 pm Thanks again, I missed that Edit icon, now I see its possible to add many "pages" of macros and the customization of each macro.
Maybe this is a new feature, but fortunately Freestyle is saving the current state of the plugin to a snapshot without me needing to do anything with the macros.
Oh no my bad. For reason I assumed it only affected macros, but I guess it sees non-macro'd parameters too. Cool.
Thanks yes, I see now that separate instances with a single plugin in each is the work around for using multiple Program change deprived plugins situation. Unfortunately one loses whatever advantages there are to be had when integrating several plugins in one instance. I wonder what the developer's thoughts are on this.
Well I think it's meant to recall snapshots of the entire setup, which makes sense. Allowing snapshots of every device would make things pretty complicated for likely very little useful application. I mean if you only want one device to react to program change then you just leave the parameters of other devices for a given snapshot.

ericzang wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:41 pm Thanks for the reply. I'm new to and demoing freestyle so perhaps I've overlooked some functionality. Yes, per plugin rather than the whole instance. Yes I'm using the fx version of Freestyle in a daw.

It appears that freestyle has only 8 macros? For most valhallas, that would probably work out as there are not many parameters that would need to be changed, but for other plugins with more relevant parameters needed to modify it may be too limiting.

So you're saying that the macros themselves have their own snapshots? I didn't see that yet. Or if not, perhaps you're saying to use the global snapshots after setting up the macros? I did test using the global snapshots and they do give the general Program Change behavior I'm interested in, even without attaching the macros. But being global, this would seem to not be a good approach when multiple effects are used in one instance of freestyle. For example, I just want to change reverb programs but it seems that having to use a global snapshot triggers a complete reload of all other effects too, and reduces flexibility for spontaneous effect changes in a live performance situation.
You can do this by encapsulating said plugin with a Group. Every Group has snapshots.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Return to “New Sonic Arts”