October Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:41 pm a finely crafted, commercial as hell glam rock nailed to the wall gem comes in 9th.
"Take me away at once. Don't you see I am a slave to women and rum!" exclaimed H. P. Cooper in his sanity trial of 1882. This would be the first time of record the term 'delusions of grandeur' was used. Despite the evidence, H. P. Cooper was judged sane and went about his business.

Today, the term is being applied here.

Firstly, as from a perspective in musicology, I can't align a definition of "glam rock" or find many genre-defining artists whose material to which I would liken your song. When I think Glam, I think Bowie during his Ziggy era, T Rex, Slade, The Sweet, Roxy Music, even some Queen, Gary Glitter and Alice Cooper.

Yes, there is an element of bubble-gum pop to your tune, but the opening guitar riff and the beat, to my ears seeking historical references, places the basic sound in the early to mid 80's Springsteen. John Cougar, Huey Lewis.

Check out Glory Days--in many ways the groove, some of the progression, some of the sounds very similar to your song IMO...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUOgIgLqOQ

Would you agree?

To me, it's not troubling that you call it "Glam Rock," while I believe it is something else. What's in a name? The successful merits of a song often, in any genre, come to striking a responsive chord in the music listener. Often, this is achieved through the craft of the songwriting, the performance of the musician (especially the vocalist's performance is of paramount importance in a song with words and lyrics), the quality of the recording, production and master mix.

In terms of craft, from a song writing perspective, you've constructed a solid pop structure from intro to verse to chorus to guitar solo to disco fade outro. Well done. To nit-pick, lyrics between verse and chorus often stepped on each other--you could consider opening up the sections, using longer turnarounds, or an extra bar to reset and add separation. That's just my sense of measure on measure-to-measure arranging.

In terms of musical performance, it's all nicely programmed stuff, but it is not fully convincing to me as a real band. Very stiff on the grid stuff. Great for a demo. Not excellent as a final demonstration of grooving musicians at play.

Also, while I do commend you from stepping out of your comfort zone and signing yourself, the master vocal performance has many pitch issues that simply undermine the effectiveness of the vocal melody when it clashes against the harmony...as a pop music aesthetic. Also, and I know you know I know you can't do much about it: the quality of your voice really doesn't lend itself to being featured in a mainstream song for mass commercial appeal, which this track seems to be seeking and/or imitating. It's quirky, flat and probably better suited for more sardonic Lou Reed than emotional Springsteen.

Actually, the following tune truly strikes me as the type of song your style would match...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHljIhDDibU

And I embed that as a compliment :)

The fact is, the idea of your song and the crafting has many strengths, but, the execution falls farther from the ideals of "glam rock" to which you have liked yourself. That you submitted on October 2nd, the second day of the competition suggests you may not have spent as much time polishing and working the materials as much as others did with their songs.

Am I wrong? Quite possibly. But if you truly believe your song was among the best in October, then the 9th place finish must be a major bummer. But from where I listen, sounds about right.

Personally, and I have no pony in this race, I was surprised tbase2000 didn't finish higher, or Farlukar.

what genre would you place mine, if i could be so bold?

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:30 pm what genre would you place mine, if i could be so bold?
Shoegazer c**t.

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:31 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:30 pm what genre would you place mine, if i could be so bold?
Shoegazer c**t.
not you! i know what you think.
i was asking jonny as a second opinion from an unbiased source :P

Hold on bold one--I am so honored you would ask. Lemme pull up my muscle shirt and dig into your tune again with my third eye wondering :idea:

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:33 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:31 pm
Shoegazer c**t.
not you! i know what you think.
i was asking jonny as a second opinion from an unbiased source :P
c**t?

you called?

Jonny Quest wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:28 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:41 pm a finely crafted, commercial as hell glam rock nailed to the wall gem comes in 9th.
"Take me away at once. Don't you see I am a slave to women and rum!" exclaimed H. P. Cooper in his sanity trial of 1882. This would be the first time of record the term 'delusions of grandeur' was used. Despite the evidence, H. P. Cooper was judged sane and went about his business.

Today, the term is being applied here.

Firstly, as from a perspective in musicology, I can't align a definition of "glam rock" or find many genre-defining artists whose material to which I would liken your song. When I think Glam, I think Bowie during his Ziggy era, T Rex, Slade, The Sweet, Roxy Music, even some Queen, Gary Glitter and Alice Cooper.

Yes, there is an element of bubble-gum pop to your tune, but the opening guitar riff and the beat, to my ears seeking historical references, places the basic sound in the early to mid 80's Springsteen. John Cougar, Huey Lewis.

Check out Glory Days--in many ways the groove, some of the progression, some of the sounds very similar to your song IMO...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUOgIgLqOQ

Would you agree?

To me, it's not troubling that you call it "Glam Rock," while I believe it is something else. What's in a name? The successful merits of a song often, in any genre, come to striking a responsive chord in the music listener. Often, this is achieved through the craft of the songwriting, the performance of the musician (especially the vocalist's performance is of paramount importance in a song with words and lyrics), the quality of the recording, production and master mix.

In terms of craft, from a song writing perspective, you've constructed a solid pop structure from intro to verse to chorus to guitar solo to disco fade outro. Well done. To nit-pick, lyrics between verse and chorus often stepped on each other--you could consider opening up the sections, using longer turnarounds, or an extra bar to reset and add separation. That's just my sense of measure on measure-to-measure arranging.

In terms of musical performance, it's all nicely programmed stuff, but it is not fully convincing to me as a real band. Very stiff on the grid stuff. Great for a demo. Not excellent as a final demonstration of grooving musicians at play.

Also, while I do commend you from stepping out of your comfort zone and signing yourself, the master vocal performance has many pitch issues that simply undermine the effectiveness of the vocal melody when it clashes against the harmony...as a pop music aesthetic. Also, and I know you know I know you can't do much about it: the quality of your voice really doesn't lend itself to being featured in a mainstream song for mass commercial appeal, which this track seems to be seeking and/or imitating. It's quirky, flat and probably better suited for more sardonic Lou Reed than emotional Springsteen.

Actually, the following tune truly strikes me as the type of song your style would match...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHljIhDDibU

And I embed that as a compliment :)

The fact is, the idea of your song and the crafting has many strengths, but, the execution falls farther from the ideals of "glam rock" to which you have liked yourself. That you submitted on October 2nd, the second day of the competition suggests you may not have spent as much time polishing and working the materials as much as others did with their songs.

Am I wrong? Quite possibly. But if you truly believe your song was among the best in October, then the 9th place finish must be a major bummer. But from where I listen, sounds about right.

Personally, and I have no pony in this race, I was surprised tbase2000 didn't finish higher, or Farlukar.
All I know is "what's his face" said it was so 80s glam it was offensive. That was the exact term he used.

As for my singing, if that's why I finished 9th, so be it. But again, all the more reason why entering these things is stupid. My voice is my voice. I can't do anything about it.

So like I said, I'm done.

Or we can keep beating this horse a few more rounds.

Whatever. I'm bored today anyway.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:47 pm

bored enough to listen to some modular noodles?
:hihi:

i may have a little (well maybe bigger than i expected, where bigger means longer...) thing to post innabit :hihi:

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:33 pm i was asking jonny as a second opinion from an unbiased source :P
Everyone is biased, mine just happen to be biased properly :wink:

When I first heard your tune, and I think jotted this down and said it here, reminded me of a Josh Homme side project...
Now to expound:

if an Iron Maiden instrumental
was given a heavy does of morphine,
slowing things way down from 180 bpm to 66,
and the band was playing live,
atop a darkly lit desert sand dune,
below a purple sky,
before a small crowd
of nude hippy banshee chicks
with only flowers
in their hair.
Everything pulsating like fireflies

Now THAT's a genre! Putting it in brief...

It's too dark and aeolian to be pure shoegaze...maybe NU SHOE? Post Shoegaze?

whatever it is, I enjoyed it :phones:

nu shoe :lol:
yeah, im not really hearing shoegaze, other than it would require the act of shoegazing with all those fx if they where hw :hihi:

thanks for that, that's a vivid image you got from it :)

Jonny Quest wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:28 pmThat you submitted on October 2nd, the second day of the competition suggests you may not have spent as much time polishing and working the materials as much as others did with their songs.
This is a point I've wanted to make for a while. He seems to do this with everything he does i.e just rushes to get it done. Maybe he feels there is some merit to being first. I used to think he did it because he expected nobody to like it, in which case at least he could excuse it with, "well it's just something I threw together in a day :shrug: " . Reading his comments, I can see he actually did think he nailed it.

To me, and others, it just looks like he doesn't give a shit. Even if someone is a fast worker, it pays to let stuff sit around for a little while. This way of working certainly pertains to mixing decisions, but also can really give perspective on performance and compositional choices. As someone who probably ditches about 90% of his ideas, I just don't understand someone who is not only happy to share everything, but unable to concede any of it's obvious faults :scared:

Needs more time, more effort, and updated self-critique (No! Not self-deprecation) drivers :tu:

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:53 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:47 pm

bored enough to listen to some modular noodles?
:hihi:

i may have a little (well maybe bigger than i expected, where bigger means longer...) thing to post innabit :hihi:
Absolutely Vurt. Always love listening to your stuff. Can you do anything with ring modulation or don't have modules for it?

the wogglebug has ring mod.
but at the min, im on lush airy pads :o
seriously beautiful 8)

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:08 pm the wogglebug has ring mod.
but at the min, im on lush airy pads :o
seriously beautiful 8)
No prob. Let me know when you're going to do some ring mod stuff.

By the way, Joe Walsh's "Life's Been Good" that's a ring mod during that funky sounding instrumental part, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXWvKDSwvls

Around 2:56 mark

Return to “Music Cafe”