The bright white NOW skin in ValhallaVintageVerb hurts my eyes

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It might be a small issue, but switching between the nice looking 60s and 80s mode, then to the NOW skin is pretty jarring to me.

I'm curious if others share this opinion, because to me a darker skin like the Ultramod dark colors would not only look nicer but would be way easier on the eyes when switching modes.

The brightness is totally intentional, and mirrors the sound of the NOW mode versus the 70s/80s modes. At least to my eyes and ears.

The original release of the NOW mode was MUCH MUCH brighter. I wanted to go for the purest white, and the darkest black. I wanted the complete and utter absence of color. The idea was that the NOW mode would look like a patch sheet for a hardware unit. Or a wire frame sketch of a plugin, that was never fleshed out.

Sean Costello

While normally a bright plugin is fine, consider that having an interface change in contrast that much introduces a new design challenge to remain comfortable to look at in all environments, perhaps requiring something like a crossfade.

I do respect the amount of thought behind the look however, and it makes it easier to accept the choice as well.

valhallasound wrote:The idea was that the NOW mode would look like a patch sheet for a hardware unit. Or a wire frame sketch of a plugin, that was never fleshed out.
Except that no patch sheet was ever backlit in full-retina glory :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
valhallasound wrote:The idea was that the NOW mode would look like a patch sheet for a hardware unit. Or a wire frame sketch of a plugin, that was never fleshed out.
Except that no patch sheet was ever backlit in full-retina glory :shrug:
Where the patch sheets of the past have failed, I SHALL TRIUMPH!!!

As for me, I do like NOW's white hue :tu:

The white would be fine if it consistently remained that bright. Somehow it seems like I'm the only one who sees flaws in Valhalla plugins at all though, especially on this fan forum.

omiroad wrote:The white would be fine if it consistently remained that bright. Somehow it seems like I'm the only one who sees flaws in Valhalla plugins at all though, especially on this fan forum.
He's making an inverted color scheme. You can see it on the Gearslutz thread. The dark theme will not hurt your eyes. :wink:

omiroad wrote:The white would be fine if it consistently remained that bright. Somehow it seems like I'm the only one who sees flaws in Valhalla plugins at all though, especially on this fan forum.
This isn't a 'fan' forum - people like it because they like it, not because they are 'fans'. Seems these days people are always calling people either 'fanboys' for liking something or 'trolls' for not, as if that somehow invalidates their points. Just deal with the reality that people have their own opinions.

aMUSEd wrote:
This isn't a 'fan' forum - people like it because they like it, not because they are 'fans'. Seems these days people are always calling people either 'fanboys' for liking something or 'trolls' for not, as if that somehow invalidates their points. Just deal with the reality that people have their own opinions.
:tu:

I don't like the NOW-GUI neither. Compared to the other two it's less fun to tweak. Since I never use NOW anyway I don't care :D
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

From the Gearslutz thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12273870-post1829.html
seancostello wrote:Current state of GUI code:

The second picture shows how the "GUI Mode:" text turns into a highlighted button when mousing over it. When not mousing over the text, it will look like a block of text (i.e. without a grey rounded rectangle in the background).

I'm about to dive into the Thanksgiving activities. I'll get back to work on this in a few days. Thanks for the suggestions from folks here, and enjoy your respective holidays!

the "NOW" skin is perfect! :tu:
it's so bad on the eyes that you always end up always using 80s and 70s instead ... :hihi:

3ee wrote:the "NOW" skin is perfect! :tu:
it's so bad on the eyes that you always end up always using 80s and 70s instead ... :hihi:
hahaha... I also guess that was the initial idea. Why buy a "Vintage" verb and then use modern algorithms :P :P :P
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

I appreciate the addition of this dark GUI mode, good stuff.

If you guys also like it, then you might understand why I bothered to make this thread at all: to suggest a way to make the plugin as good as it can be, in case others share the same experience as me.

Return to “Valhalla DSP”