Advice on digital whine

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Right then.
Tried the Cantabile /Laptop / VB3 Hammond combination with Kork NanoKontrol at a live rehearsal.
Everything worked pretty great apart form a slight digital whine.
Is this likely to be a product of a cheap laptop ?
I know i haven't got the most expensive soundcard (Behringer UCA 202)
Any advice gratefully received
Thanks in advance

Hi, this may most likely be a ground loop problem. To verify you could make a short test: does the effect diappear if you disconnect the psu from your laptop? In this case an isolator will so the trick. I know there is one from behringer (afaik hd400). For netter quality a palmer could be a good choise.

Regards, humphrey
hosts: c8.5, cantabile3.0, forte4.0, live 9, trakor
hardware: i7 4770k, i7 4702qm, all audio converters RME, KH120A
vsts / vstis: u-he, voxengo, fabfilter, izotope, lexicon, waves, spectrasonics, ni, steinberg, gsi, uvi, xfer & others

Hi
I was running the laptop on the batteries all the time so the power supply was already disconnected

Hm, o.k.... Would it be possible to use the onboard-soundcard together with asio4all driver (soundcard disconnected of course) as a test to exclude the soundcard?

A completely different idea: VB3 not only simulates Hammond and Lesley sound but also typical noise effects (the "singing" of the keyboard contacts or the wind noise of the rotor). Could it be one these sounds that causes the "digital whine"? In this case there is an option menue in VB3 where you can unselect them individually.

Regards, humphrey
hosts: c8.5, cantabile3.0, forte4.0, live 9, trakor
hardware: i7 4770k, i7 4702qm, all audio converters RME, KH120A
vsts / vstis: u-he, voxengo, fabfilter, izotope, lexicon, waves, spectrasonics, ni, steinberg, gsi, uvi, xfer & others

Regarding VB3, I've fallen for that before....scratching my head wondering where the hum is coming from, only to discover it's "authentic" Hammond organ / Lesley hum coming from VB3! Easily disabled :)

Aside from VB3, I've had these digital hum problems before with cheap USB audio devices, and generally it's down to poor earthing on the audio device, as Humphrey says. The ground on USB is generally horribly noisy. See if you can borrow another audio interface and see if that helps, or test the on-board sound as Humphrey suggests.
Kurzweil PC3x, Muse Receptor, Nord G2 Modular, Mellotron M400, Nord Electro, Korg Triton, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Roland D50, Korg Prophecy, Korg MS10, Logan String Synth

I have a little bit of hum , so its not the vb3 program

You should try a DI box (passive or active), I have one behind any unit and all hum or other noise problems are gone.

Return to “Topten Software”