FXFreeze with Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sonar is my main sequencer - is anybody using FXFreeze with and if so its working well.

Baggio I assume you meant is it working well?

I use Sonar and I have not been able to get it to work with it. No problems with Tracktion.

I hear Project 5 users have got it working but I have not tried yet as I also use Project 5, but Sonar for me was a no no.There is information about this on the fx freeze website.

Maybe an upgrade is now available for Sonar users?

I use the freeze function built right into Sonar.For VSTi it's render/archive/hide(original tracks),for plugs it's clone/archive/hide.

setup a keybinding in sonar for "bounce to audio tracks" then it really is very quick to freeze in sonar.

Kind regards

Dave Rich.

yeah, as noted there's no real reason to use fxFreeze in Sonar with the bounce to Track function.

the solution offerd by Jesse Jost (P-5 project manager) for a freeze function with P-5 was rewiring P-5 within Sonar and using bounce to Track

I was partially successful getting fxFreeze to work in P-5, but not enough to warrant buying it. It worked better with some synths than others. I always had to be careful not to mouse about or keyboard when it was rendering. Some frozen playback was inconsistent fine one time, some sort of crackle artifact the next.

Someone here at kvr (I'm sorry about the memory, but I'm the one that lives with it) that there is a workaround in P-5 -- by disabling all irrelevant tracks and rendering the specified loop or whole project to wav of the relevant track(s), it's essentially a multi-step, manual freeze.
I find this method very useful. For one thing it renders the track (synth plus fx chain) to wav. fxFreeze rendered the synth and the fx chain with their cpu burden was still in play.

None of which is really necessary in Sonar given bounce to track, but thought I'd repeat those instructions anyway. My point being, I think, is even if it's a bit awkward it seems to be better to work through the host than adding more layers.

Now that I'm one of those new Komplete users I find the cpu reduction needs almost gone, but I'm using the render to wav method even more now to generate wav files from Reaktor sequencers and loading them for playback and some mangling into Intakt. Once I have Acid Lite Screenblaster, to gen an acidized wav I should be able to do quite a bit more.
I mention this because I think Sonar also is capable of generating acidized wav files -- which should allow timestretching, pitch shifting and beat slicing on your rendered wavs.

If you bounce the track using sonar can you unfreeze it like you can with FXFreeze.

right-Click on the track again and disable the archive tick.

Sepheritoh wrote:right-Click on the track again and disable the archive tick.
oooh should have mentioned. right-click on the track name, not the track itsef.

Given the responses from this thread, I wonder if anyone has had success using FXFreeze in Sonar. Although I haven't made an attempt to try, it sounds like a no-go.

gentleharp wrote:Given the responses from this thread, I wonder if anyone has had success using FXFreeze in Sonar. Although I haven't made an attempt to try, it sounds like a no-go.
I tried the demo and it worked with some plugs and not others.But it keeps the track&plugs in memory unlike Sonar which complety frees up resources by unplugging the track and plugs/synth from the engine altogether(archive)unlike FX Freeze,plus in FX Freeze you have to wait for the whole track to play.In the end,Sonars method(archive)seems more efficient and faster regardless of the 2 extra clicks.Again(a simple explanation),for audio tracks with plugs just clone the track and render the plug in the cloned track,then archive and hide the original(you can later unhide/unarchive),and for synths it's bounce to clip/bounce to track,then hide/archive the original midi/audio synth track.It sounds involved but it's pretty simple and routine when you get used to it and a lot faster than FX Freeze in the end,plus you don't have to worry about memory being clogged/used up.

hey gentleharp, I think the people are saying that you're kinda wasting money on fxfreeze in sonar, since its essentially there :-D
If it sounds good it is good.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”