Tracktion + Audiophile USB + Tera/Reaktor problems

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just bought Tracktion the other day, but I'm unfortunately having problems with it. I'm getting some weird distortion when using it with Tera and Reaktor Session.

My system:
Athlon 2100
1 GB RAM
Asus A7N8X deluxe
M-Audio Audiophile USB (using ASIO driver)
Roland A37 keyboard (plugged into the Audiophile)

My CPU load is low (~10-20%), and I only need a single instance of either Tera or Reaktor to see this problem. Interestingly, the problem only occurs when my keyboard is connected, and set as an input for the track. I can play a few notes without it connected, and everything sounds fine. Connect it to the track, and the problem shows up. I have an Oxygen 8 (connected via USB) which works fine - the problem seems to be specific to using the MIDI in on the Audiophile.

I thought perhaps I could resolve the problem by using the MIDI input on the Soundstorm audio built into my Asus motherboard, but surprisingly, the problem still occurs. I also tried disabling the Soundstorm audio (at BIOS level), in case it was causing the problem -- no luck.

I've tried all combinations of latency settings, ASIO direct mode (which improves performance, but doesn't prevent this problem), realtime mode, etc. I've checked that I have the latest version of Tracktion, and the latest drivers for the Audiophile.

I know it seems likely that the Audiophile is to blame (I've heard that Jules is not a fan of M-Audio drivers) but I thought it'd be worth asking if any of you had any suggestions.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

Anyone found a solution to this? I just got Reaktor and I hear pops and clicks when used within Tracktion. I don't see how this is an Audiophile USB problem because when used in standalone mode everything sounds great. In Tracktion I get little clicks in the sound. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,
Pete

My guess(as always with M-Audio/Midiman USB stuff)is that the USB hub power's being suspended-it's the default for XP.Go into device manager,right click your USB hubs and under power management,uncheck any shut down options.
M-Audio/Midiman stuff is very susceptible to the momentary shutdowns,and I've seen them cause anything from pops and crackles to BSODs.
ew
A spectral heretic...

Damn...thanks for the tip, but unfortunately Reaktor still sounds like shit in Tracktion. I am beginning to think the Audiophile USB is shit itself. I have a weird lag issue with Sampletank 2 that NOBODY else seems to have. Maybe I should get the SPIKE when it comes out since it will be practially made for Tracktion.

If USB audio doesn't work cleanly on your machine, then stay away from Spike also...in my experience if USB audio isn't going to work, nothing will work. Of cource USB can work OK on some machines...

If it's a laptop get an Echo Indigo, if it's desktop get a PCI card (Audiophile).

cheers.

Pete C wrote:Damn...thanks for the tip, but unfortunately Reaktor still sounds like shit in Tracktion. I am beginning to think the Audiophile USB is shit itself. I have a weird lag issue with Sampletank 2 that NOBODY else seems to have. Maybe I should get the SPIKE when it comes out since it will be practially made for Tracktion.
Pete - I should tell you that I found I can't reproduce any of my problems with Cubase or Sonar. Seems like Tracktion might (sadly) be the issue here. Great app - I hope these issues are worked out eventually.

USB audio seems to be fine with Tracktion on everything I have except Reaktor and Sampletank 2. My problem with a PCI card is that there is no external volume control. If you need to turn down the volume you have to do it in the host, which you don't want to mess up your volumes, or open some sound card window to do it. I like to just grab a knob. Any solution there?

Pete

Return to “Tracktion”