That grainular Sphongle sound

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone know how that sound can be reproduced? I have an idea what plugins I may be able to use in Reaktor to reproduce some grainular effects, but there is a particular grainular-sounding effect that is frequently used (in just about every song, actually) that i would like to learn how to reproduce. They use it on vocals, instruments (organic and vst), and anything else. Any Sphongle fans out there know the sound I'm referencing, and how I can replicate it? Is there any kind of vst plugin that could make it easy lol? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

On the last album this was done on his V-Synth.

Prior to that he used some free plugin which I cant think of right now (or so I read years ago - but could be wrong). Could very well be his Eventide actually... So basically i'm no help here :lol: Sorry mate.

New album is out early Oct though :D
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Try the preset named after this person (who I'm not familiar with, so I can't bespeak of how close the sound is to what you want)

http://mst.metabin.com/effects/resynfx/

You play it with midi notes, so route a midi channel to the plug-in even though it sits in your VST effect slot.

It was part of the KVR 2007 Dev challenge.

On the last album this was done on his V-Synth.

I looked up the V Synth GT with Articulative Phrasing Synthesis/Elastic Audio. Pretty cool. :-) Is this what you're referring to? If so, I wonder if there is a Reaktor plugin that can do it, or another vst available that can come close to mimicking it. Thanks.

liquidzen wrote:On the last album this was done on his V-Synth.

I looked up the V Synth GT with Articulative Phrasing Synthesis/Elastic Audio. Pretty cool. :-) Is this what you're referring to? If so, I wonder if there is a Reaktor plugin that can do it, or another vst available that can come close to mimicking it. Thanks.
Search for Sphongle in this ;)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may03/a ... vsynth.asp
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

it's a pretty classic sound, I love it :)

It's really easy to get that effect in Camel Audio's Alchemy. It's made for manipulating samples that way, plus a whole lot more. Makes those previously difficult and time consuming tasks really quite easy.

BTW: if you haven't checked out the latest album by Younger Brother "The Last Days of Gravity" is brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t ... other&aq=f

Peace,
Andy.

*note: I work for Camel, but I'm giving an honest personal opinion here. If you can do it with free plugins (on OS X), I'd love to know how.

*edit: removed double text
Last edited by ZenPunkHippy on Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:it's a pretty classic sound, I love it :)

It's really easy to get that effect in Camel Audio's Alchemy. It's made for manipulating samples that way, plus a whole lot more. Makes those previously difficult and time consuming tasks really quite easy.

BTW: if you haven't checked out Younger Brother, the latest album by Younger Brother "The Last Days of Gravity" is brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t ... other&aq=f

Peace,
Andy.

*note: I work for Camel, but I'm giving an honest personal opinion here. If you can do it with free plugins (on OS X), I'd love to know how.

I am a huge Simon Posford fan myself (possibly one reason why I bought Alchemy myself) :D :wink: .

As I say to my self "It's a circular vortex, spinning, spppppiiiinnnniiiinnnngggggggggg,vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrttttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Great Youtube link BTW . :D
As they say in New Zealand "Choice".

thanks Alchemy seems to be exactly what i'm looking for. Much appreciate it guys!

Return to “Sound Design”