Mac repair permissions question

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, Zebra 2.3.1 works great with my MacG4 pb OSX10.3.9.
I repaired permissions and that went well.
Question is when I click on Zebra and choose get info, permissions and ownership are set to read only, and details has it locked and the owner is System. Access is set to read & write. I can unlock it and change it to my user name, but is it normal to have owner as System? Should I change the permissions to my user name? I'am the administrator.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
Michael

Hi,

It's Apple's installer unfortunately. With that pkg-stuff one can't do anything in user space. That's why you have to authorize as admin and why everything only goes to the local directories.

I'm slowly getting used to writing shell scripts and stuff to improve things but d'oh... I'd rather stick to what I have as long as it works.

Despite the bit of trouble we had with the 2.3 installer, it works way better in general than any manual installation. I used to get tens if not hundreds of emails with requests about Apple's folder structure before I went installers. That was despite written instructions. Nowadays I get 4-5 people asking if they have to uninstall previous versions or some such thing.

;) Urs

MCnoone wrote:Hello, Zebra 2.3.1 works great with my MacG4 pb OSX10.3.9.
I repaired permissions and that went well.
Question is when I click on Zebra and choose get info, permissions and ownership are set to read only, and details has it locked and the owner is System. Access is set to read & write. I can unlock it and change it to my user name, but is it normal to have owner as System? Should I change the permissions to my user name? I'am the administrator.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
Michael
Zebra installer is still assigning ownership to 'root' and sets 'x' flag to non-executable files (and makes the plugin component writable to everyone). I usually manually reassign everything. And I don't usually login as administrator on my Mac, it's like working under unpatched Windows without anti-virus.

Return to “u-he”