Backup total state in a zip file...

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi
Was just reading the "shared banks" backup thing and wish to bring up something I had in mind for longer...

Why not including a simple backup function that copies all cantabile specific configuration, sessions, sessionlists, shared banks, etc. into a singe backup zip folder with date-time stamp in it's name for quick restauration?

I know that this is not a really smart idea but would be simple and very convenient... :D
Best regards, TiUser
...and keep on jamming...

TiUser wrote:Why not including a simple backup function that copies all cantabile specific configuration, sessions, sessionlists, shared banks, etc. into a singe backup zip folder with date-time stamp in it's name for quick restauration?
I've been asked for save/restore settings feature a number of times now, but never got around to it. My intention was to move everything from the registry to a settings file to make backup simpler. I also want to centralise all Cantabile's settings to one place (ie: the appdata folder) and leave backup to 3rd party tools.

Hi Brad.

I am not about Cantabile settings only...

Holding all Cantabile related data in one folder is a good idea because it is simple...

Practicall I guess a function inside cantabile will be frequently used even it simply packs this folder with a timestamp into a zip... while 3rd party backup is additional effort and less often used because it basically will back up the total machine.

But ok, I don't know how other users think, maybe some more comments on this here would be helpful.
Best regards, TiUser

I'm currently working on the first part of this which is to simply get all Cantabile's settings in one place. Mostly this involves moving everything from the registry to a file in the AppData directory. I'm also moving the VstSharedBanks there and cleaning up it up to make it more understandable and less cluttered.

As for an actual backup command perhaps this could be better done by the ability to launch any external tool and providing example script that can backup/restore the common stuff. I've wanted to add custom commands for sometime now, but it's probably not going to make this version.

Hi Brad.
I know you love flexible solutions... the script idea sounds great but think of "normal" musicians... If you provide two standard scripts to accomplish the tasks (backup / restore) that are easy to use that's ok to me too... I never mind flexibility if there is a simple to use default... :D
Best regards, TiUser

Build 2006 (available now) improves this somewhat.

All settings have been moved from the registry and are now in a settings.ini file in the Cantabile appdata folder. Related, the VstSharedBanks folder has moved to the same location so backing up this folder should back up all of Cantabile's settings (not sessions).

Please note that I didn't bother with code to upgrade global custom controllers on the on-screen keyboard so you'll need to reconfigure these if you have anything setup.

Return to “Topten Software”