I find sequencers enticing, but daunting

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am very interested in the idea of using pattern generators like those found in modern hardware and plugin sequencers. That said, I also feel overwhelmed and very confused by the countless options. I've tried to answer my own questions for days and days, including previous posts on the KVR Forum, Reddit, YouTube, and various manufacturer's websites. Of course, I am familiar with, but rarely use, a step sequencer, like the one in my DAW (Logic Pro), as this rarely seems to offer any major benefit over simply recording and adjusting in the piano roll.

I am 97% in the box, but have a nice polysynth (PolyBrute), and it has its own sequencer and arpeggio, but it's a bit confusing and not very powerful regardless. I would love to sequence this device and record it more, because it sounds incredible. I also have some little modules that are just for fun (Korg Volcas, Circuit Tracks), but I never use these devices to record. So, I don't feel that I can justify the cost of a hardware sequencer, like the Squarp Hapax, Oxi One, or the Torso T-1. But... who knows, maybe down the road?

When it comes to plugins, there are frankly too many options and almost no resources on the internet that provide comprehensive comparisons. What I am really looking for are pattern generators that utilize different types of engines, such as Euclid, probabilistic, etc. to generate polyrhythms and melodies. Euclidean pattern generation, in particular, seems very attractive, as it sounds more musical and not random. I am not really looking for a sequencer primarily for drums, but if it's good for melody, it seems that it would be just as good for drums/percussion.

Are there any sequencer plugins that provide all of the following features:

1) different pattern generators, not just a simple step pattern
2) randomization features
3) polyphonic sequencing
4) multitrack, with each track assignable to a different channel in the DAW
5) can be controlled with automation in the DAW

Here are the sequencer plugins I have tried to research, but cannot seem to grasp their features or their workflow:
-Audiomodern Riffer
-HY-Plugins (RPE, Seq32, SeqCollection2, and MPS2)
-Devicemeister Stepic
-Xfer Cthulhu
-510K Seqund
-ADSR Hexcel

Last question. For multitrack sequencing, do you have to have more than one instance of the plugin? Or do you have all the sequenced tracks grouped and sent to the same bus channel, which hosts the plugin? Appreciate any help/guidance y'all have. Thanks.

I use Audiomodern Riffer, HY-Plugins RPE-2, and 510K Seqund, as well as a Torso T-1. I find all of the plugins easier and more intuitive to use than the T-1, which I still haven't gotten my head fully around in the 10 months I've owned it. Seqund is great but probably won't be a great choice for you since it isn't polyphonic. Riffer is 4-voice polyphonic and RPE-2 is 8-voice. Since you're interested in exploring different kinds of pattern generators, you should probably start by downloading the free versions of all the HY sequencers. You'll find that once you learn one of them thoroughly, the rest will be easy to figure out.

Well you've tried a lion's share cross section of them all, maybe you are looking in the wrong spot but seems like you are on a MAC? If using Logic, which to me never seemed logical...

The Nash ReViSiT is quite powerful & was inspired by Impulse Tracker but the formats go beyond the power of the IT format for either a MIDI workflow or sample workflow... It will do way more than much of previously mentioned if you are bold enough to learn a tracker. Pretty sure there's a MAC version of ReViSiT there now, not sure... Your chosen DAW must have good enough MIDI capability but it can be used standalone as well-

https://revisit.nash.audio/default.asp

It's here on KVR as well but showing older version-

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/revisit-by-chris-nash

Here in Tracktion (A recommended DAW, along with Cubase)-

Butt... Butt... There be all kinda sequencers I find Sonant Synth a 'rubiks cube' of sequencing, classified as a tracker it's actually more of a 'gridder'... Eventually maybe I'll have the patience to make a tune in it>>>

Uncle E wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:23 am I use Audiomodern Riffer, HY-Plugins RPE-2, and 510K Seqund, as well as a Torso T-1. I find all of the plugins easier and more intuitive to use than the T-1, which I still haven't gotten my head fully around in the 10 months I've owned it. Seqund is great but probably won't be a great choice for you since it isn't polyphonic. Riffer is 4-voice polyphonic and RPE-2 is 8-voice. Since you're interested in exploring different kinds of pattern generators, you should probably start by downloading the free versions of all the HY sequencers. You'll find that once you learn one of them thoroughly, the rest will be easy to figure out.
Thanks. I have used the free version of HY-RPE, but it seems to be a simple 3 track step sequencer, which isn’t what I am looking for. I was thinking about the HY-SeqCollection2, but am I correct that it is only monophonic?

Wow i forgot about nash Revisit, i bought that almost 20 yrs ago or somethin. :tu:

*Anyway, if anyone finds stuff like the HY sequencers daunting, they might give up
on sequencing, since they are so easy and
ntuitive to use. :shrug:

pekbro wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:16 pm Wow i forgot about nash Revisit, i bought that almost 20 yrs ago or somethin. :tu:

*Anyway, if anyone finds stuff like the HY sequencers daunting, they might give up
on sequencing, since they are so easy and
ntuitive to use. :shrug:
It’s not that I find sequencing daunting, it’s the MIDI routing for multitrack sequencing that I find daunting/confusing. It sure would be nice if people on the internet didn’t go out of their way to be rude to strangers asking for help.

oobesan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:45 pm Thanks. I have used the free version of HY-RPE, but it seems to be a simple 3 track step sequencer, which isn’t what I am looking for.
Yes, I see now that the free version only has the Grid sequencer and not the Euclidean sequencer. When you buy it, you get the Euclidean, which you can see below. Try the demo version in that case, it will allow you to test the Euclidean.

oobesan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:34 pm It’s not that I find sequencing daunting, it’s the MIDI routing for multitrack sequencing that I find daunting/confusing.
Try Luna. It's free and the routing isn't daunting at all. Alternately, use the MIDI FX with a single multi-timbral plugin, such as Kontakt or Osirus, that way you won't have to route to any other instruments.

Uncle E wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:02 pm
oobesan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:45 pm Thanks. I have used the free version of HY-RPE, but it seems to be a simple 3 track step sequencer, which isn’t what I am looking for.
Yes, I see now that the free version only has the Grid sequencer and not the Euclidean sequencer. When you buy it, you get the Euclidean, which you can see below. Try the demo version in that case, it will allow you to test the Euclidean.

Ah, I didn’t realize the demo version was full featured (I thought it was the same as the free version). Thanks!

Uncle E wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:06 pm
oobesan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:34 pm It’s not that I find sequencing daunting, it’s the MIDI routing for multitrack sequencing that I find daunting/confusing.
Try Luna. It's free and the routing isn't daunting at all. Alternately, use the MIDI FX with a single multi-timbral plugin, such as Kontakt or Osirus, that way you won't have to route to any other instruments.
You mean the Universal Audio DAW Luna? Also, excellent suggestion regarding multi-output instruments. Thanks!

Yes, the DAW Luna. It's severely limited in terms of MIDI but it handles MIDI FX surprisingly well.

iOS has some of the best sequencers and randomizers.

Stepic on the computer is excellent- and someone made a 6 part YT series that covers every bit of it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”